No TV - how does it work to not pay for the license?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

No TV - how does it work to not pay for the license?

Post by Sus »

Hi, we have no TV and I am hoping to save us the money for the license. So far, I have found out that you can simply write to your local tax office to ask them to remove it from the taxe habitation. Has anybody any information on this and can confirm whether this is correct? Thanks!
gleber
Rank 2
Rank 2

No TV

Post by gleber »

We do not have a TV, we receive a form every January from taxe habitation which we sign and return to say that we do not have a TV.
Hope this helps.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

The French system for paying ( or not ) the TV license does seem remarkably simple and effective: the ( reasonable ) assumption is made that 'everyone' has a TV these days ~ but for the small minority who do not a simple honour declaration provides an exemption. And it is collected through the council tax system.

And I believe the same system is used in Portugal.

I don't suppose anyone has ever suggested it be copied in the UK, though to my mind it would get around a lot of the problems associated with criminal prosecutions for not having a TV licence. Perhaps get around all of them in fact........( Maybe there are downsides I am unaware of ? ).