SFR internet speed - how to improve

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

SFR internet speed - how to improve

Post by russell »

We have been on SFR for a few years now and had reasonable service and normally 6 Mb/s downstream. However recently we had been getting lots of buffering in the evenings and the speed dropping to 1 to 2 Mb/s in the evening.

So, I phoned SFR customer service and the "technical" guy said it's a problem with the router and he would reset it. After he had done so the fault light was flashing and we had no internet. Phoned them again and spoke to another person who said we needed a new router. Arranged to swap it at the Perpignan shop. In the meantime I did a power off reset on the old one and we were back to 6 Mb/s!

I went to the shop and swapped the router for a new one (newer model) and was told that I could upgrade my contract to get their internet TV service with hundreds of French channels at a lower monthly cost. Did so and connected the new router. Immediately got 11 Mb/s during the day and it only dropped to 5 Mb/s during the peak evening time.

We had been upgraded to ADSL2+ which accounts for the higher maximum but I suspect that they throttle or give lower priority to speed for non TV subscribers. So it's best to subscribe to their TV service even if you don't watch it.

Russell
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

This phenomenom has been reported in the UK , with BT.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands