British And Irish Tv in P-O

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

British And Irish Tv in P-O

Post by Kate »

Just had an English tv system installed in about 10 mins. Don't usually recommend but so far, this is excellent. Great pic, all channels including sky movies and, (unfortunately) all the sky sports channels, can go back two weeks to view anything missed. Really Impressed. Easy to handle (just like in U.K.) Email me if you want to know more ( and no, I'm not on commission lol) info@anglophone-direct.com.
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

I think you should give details here, Kate. Make a change from some of the bogus reviews we have had to put up with 👹
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Pearson,
Problem is that there are several TV installers who advertise with POL so it would be unfair of me to single out one in public......but am happy to send by email as a personal choice (bit rambly but you get the idea).
Day 3 and still very pleased with it.
I don't know that it's ant different from what others are offering....just know that it works for us.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I've been watching UK TV via a PC since we lost Freesat. When I started it was a bit hit and miss and watching "live" transmissions was dodgy. But now it seems that the delivery systems have been improved enormously. I live near the end of the line so internet speed has been a problem in the past. But not, so it seems, any more! Looks like the techies have done a good job.

From what I can see there is no "one size fits all" solution to this problem. What I have works for me but I would not recommend it to everybody.

Gus
QB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by QB »

I use the same system (from a different supplier) as Kate has referred to at my home in Eus. My average download speed in September, when I was last there, was 6.73Mbps. I was able to watch all the HD streams with little buffering. I have a MAG250 IPTV box connected to my TV.

The reason I chose this system was that its user interface is similar to my Sky box in the UK. As I let my property I wanted a system that "Just Works". It does and I've only had compliments from guests. They were glad that they could let their children watch CBBC when the sun was at its hottest!

My supplier offers a monthly PAYG option at €6.99 for 30+ channels, on-demand video, 7 day catch-up and internet radio.

I won't mention my supplier here as I don't think that he is a P-O Life advertiser. I can send further details to anyone interested.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I think it sounds like very much the same thing. Mine is more expensive - 30€ per month - but that is because it inlcudes Sky movies, Sky Sports and all the pay to view channels. I paid more than that for the Sky package when I lived in England 15 years ago!

There have been mentions in the past of the doubts on the legality of this system.

One supplier replied to me......

"I am not a lawyer and therefore unable to comment. But there is one thing we do know and that is that prior to the satellite realignment 2.5 years ago, ex-pats had been watching Sky and Freesat here in France, and in Spain, in contravention of UK legislation.
Perhaps the methodology for watching has changed but the principle remains the same."

I don't know enough about it to pass any judgement whatsoever. All that I know is that, for the time being, this system works well for me. :lol:
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:I think it sounds like very much the same thing. Mine is more expensive - 30€ per month - but that is because it inlcudes Sky movies, Sky Sports and all the pay to view channels. I paid more than that for the Sky package when I lived in England 15 years ago!

There have been mentions in the past of the doubts on the legality of this system.

I don't know enough about it to pass any judgement whatsoever. All that I know is that, for the time being, this system works well for me. :lol:
I am not sure that it's primarily a question of legality (though it may well be that too) as of honesty. And you don't need to be a lawyer to know about that. You must know that Sky etc provide a service, at considerable expense to them, that they want to be paid money for - and paid to them, not to some third-party provider who has no legal right to sub-contract it.

If someone said that they could tell you how to get goods at Sainsburys for nothing (or nothing but a fee to the third party), you would know very well how to react. The technological complexity of the online world may complicate the issues - and certainly make you much more likely to get away with it - but ultimately I don't think it's very different.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

as a satellite installer in the region for many years, the changes screwed my business. i decided not to supply the dubiously legal rebroadcasting packages that include pay for services like Sky movies Sports etc. i install systems that provide the uk domestic tv without any subscription, and in my humble opinion this is morally acceptable. i have lost a hell of a lot of business, butcan at least, sleep easy at night.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

The legal net is closing around the TV-box suppliers:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37 ... technology

One difference from satellite is of course that it's impossible for the satellite owners to know who's picking up their signal down on planet Earth, whereas you can't do anything via the internet without leaving a trail.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

In that link it says that:
"boxes configured to receive premium content for free were illegal"
If that is the case then all content is illegal because it has to be paid for somehow.
You could take the view (as I do) that I only use it to watch UK Freeview and that is paid for with a UK TV license (which I have for my UK address).
There are issues about receiving UK TV outside of the UK but I'm willing to ignore that.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Webdoc wrote:The legal net is closing around the TV-box suppliers:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37 ... technology

One difference from satellite is of course that it's impossible for the satellite owners to know who's picking up their signal down on planet Earth, whereas you can't do anything via the internet without leaving a trail.
I don't think this has yet come to court so it is not proven that "fully loaded" Kodi boxes are illegal. One might as well say that photocopiers are illegal because they are capable of copying copyright material.

I find the issue of legality of streaming services confusing. I seem to remember reading some time ago of a European court ruling that recieving streamed video is not in breach of copyright unless it is recorded on a device because it is not being copied or stored. Unless they have permission though, the operators of the streaming servers are in breach of copyright because they are storing the data.

Filmon seem to have agreements with the broadcasters now. For example see this recent comment on their support site:

Code: Select all

"Dear Customers,

We are sorry to inform you that due to a copyright conflict with other IOC-licensed broadcasters we're unable to show any competitions of the Paralympic Games 2016 (September 7th-18th) on FilmOn.

The respective channels will be blocked for viewers for the duration of the matches.

We apologize for the inconvenience!"
They also stopped streaming Dave some time ago as they could get agreement with UKTV.

Russell
QB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Kodi Box Seller in court!

Post by QB »

Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

There has also been a ruling in the EU Court which may well impact on so-called IPTV services

https://torrentfreak.com/has-the-eu-jus ... es-160918/

Looks like the legal systems are beginning to catch up with streaming technology, at least where it relates to the retail of complete TV packages.