Tuning my hdd/dvd recorder

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Tuning my hdd/dvd recorder

Post by tubs »

Hi I have a LG HDD recorder/DVD player which I am sure is HD/TNT ready but I am having trouble in auto tuning the French channels. It tunes about 10 Spanish/Catalan channels but I cannot receive any French. The TV is fine and all the HD channels are received. Any clues as to what I may be doing wrong?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Check whether it can cope with MPEG-4. Some of the earlier kit marked as "HD ready" can only (I believe) cope with MPEG-2 (because that was what was used at the time). French transmissions switched to all-MPEG-4 a few months ago.
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Tuning my HDD/DVD recorder

Post by tubs »

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I've checked the manual and all it shows is reference to MPEG2 in HDD recording and the compression format in video recording is MPEG2. So I've got my answer and thanks for your help and knowledge in this. Probably won't buy a new one yet as I don't record much of French TV but if I do I know what to look for next time.
Regards.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Have a look for an adaptor. There were lots in all the supermarkets and DIY shops when the change took place from about €20.

Russell.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:Have a look for an adaptor. There were lots in all the supermarkets and DIY shops when the change took place from about €20.

Russell.
I nearly said that. But would it give you the "functionality" that you would want from a video recorder, eg the ability to record from a particular channel at some arbitrary time in the future? I would have thought not, or not without much faff, if the machine's internal tuner cannot do the job. tubs has said that his TV already works OK, live to air.
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tubs »

Thanks Martyn94 yes you're right, the tv reception is ok for watching digital channels but it was the inability to record French channels that is the problem......should I ever want to!!!!