Netflix blocking

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Netflix blocking

Post by Pearsonb »

I know Netflix is blocking VPNs. But I use SmartDNS and am still being blocked and told I am using a PROXY. I can get through by just restarting until it lets me in. Any ideas?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

A smartDNS is a proxy.

Normally they block VPNs by simply blocking the IP address of known VPN providers. Presumably they are doing the same for proxy providers.

Since most smartDNS providers also offer VPNs then it may be as simple as your provider uses the same IP address for both.

Speak to your smartDNS provider and ask if they can do anything, if they can't then try a different service.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

I'm happily watching Netflix via unotelly.com
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
vmaxvmax
Rank 2
Rank 2

SmartDNS

Post by vmaxvmax »

I use SmartDNS - for the following advice I presume the same provider:

When initially Netflix blocked us on the basis of using a proxy, I contacted SmartDNS via their live chat (very good service) and they were are of the problem (Netflix announced a few weeks ago that they would start detecting proxies and blocking in order to preserve copyright obligations across their worldwide operations).

They (SmartDNS) have a temporary fix whilst 'their engineers look into a more permanent solution'

I was using a UK proxy for UK Netflix and they advised me to log in to my SmartDNS account and change the Netflix setting to UK 2.1 in the scroll down menu.

I see that there are also a couple of USA settings too.

It might be simply a matter of you going to your SmartDNS account and changing your Netflix setting.

Alternatively, contact them via their live chat service or via email.

Don't forget, you might also need to reboot your computer (reset in the case of Apple TV) or whatever device you use to access the internet.

I hope this helps...
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Here is the geek solution:

http://readwrite.com/2014/04/10/raspber ... -browsing/

I've just set this up myself - it took several hours but to my great surprise it worked first time. I now have my own ultra-secure VPN server at home in the UK costing less than £20. Being for my sole use it'll never be detected and blocked.

An alternative for those who just want to view live UK TV (with no iplayer or catchup) is Kodi with the Kinkin addon. Excellent UK TV coverage. Free software but again you need to be a bit geeky to set it up.

Google it for more info.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Simplest solution is a dedicated IP VPN if you want UK Netflix. For general UK TV just use Filmon.

Russell.