Free internet customer service

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Free internet customer service

Post by martyn94 »

I had a problem with my Free internet connection a few weeks ago. When I rang, they resolved it remotely while I was on the line (some sort of IP address conflict). The speed (about 5.5 Mb/s) was well down on the best I had ever had, but sufficient for my purposes, so I thought no more about it.

A few days later they rang to fix a visit by their technician: when I asked why they said that my speed was less than it should be. The technician came at the time agreed, found nothing wrong with my setup (which I pretty well knew) and said that the problem must be upstream, and that he would arrange a visit by the "operateur historique" (i.e. Orange/FT).

That duly happened a week later, again at the time agreed. The FT technician did a neater and more weatherproof connection to FT's external wall box. I got a minimal increase in speed, but was quite happy.

A few days later, Free rang to arrange yet another visit by an FT technician: my speed still wasn't good enough for them. That visit duly happened last Friday, again on time (as I gathered from the noises off - the FT guy never spoke to us). On this occasion, the FT guy evidently checked the upstream line more thoroughly, and my speed is now about 13 Mb/s.

I can't say that it has changed my way of life. But I think Free were admirably persistent - with no prompting from me beyond the initial call - in getting me what I am paying for. When you open a ticket with them, they evidently do chase its progress - repeatedly - until it is fully resolved.

It's a new experience for me. When you go to customer service, you usually expect to bang your head against a brick wall. In this case, I found their service, at moments, almost too attentive, given the number of emails and phone calls and SMS it takes to propose, and agree, and confirm three service visits.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Free internet customer service

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:I had a problem with my Free internet connection a few weeks ago. When I rang, they resolved it remotely while I was on the line (some sort of IP address conflict). The speed (about 5.5 Mb/s) was well down on the best I had ever had, but sufficient for my purposes, so I thought no more about it.

A few days later they rang to fix a visit by their technician: when I asked why they said that my speed was less than it should be. The technician came at the time agreed, found nothing wrong with my setup (which I pretty well knew) and said that the problem must be upstream, and that he would arrange a visit by the "operateur historique" (i.e. Orange/FT).

That duly happened a week later, again at the time agreed. The FT technician did a neater and more weatherproof connection to FT's external wall box. I got a minimal increase in speed, but was quite happy.

A few days later, Free rang to arrange yet another visit by an FT technician: my speed still wasn't good enough for them. That visit duly happened last Friday, again on time (as I gathered from the noises off - the FT guy never spoke to us). On this occasion, the FT guy evidently checked the upstream line more thoroughly, and my speed is now about 13 Mb/s.

I can't say that it has changed my way of life. But I think Free were admirably persistent - with no prompting from me beyond the initial call - in getting me what I am paying for. When you open a ticket with them, they evidently do chase its progress - repeatedly - until it is fully resolved.

It's a new experience for me. When you go to customer service, you usually expect to bang your head against a brick wall. In this case, I found their service, at moments, almost too attentive, given the number of emails and phone calls and SMS it takes to propose, and agree, and confirm three service visits.
That's interesting, I have had 9 years of problems with an Orange ADSL line. Their helpdesk is always responsive and have sent an endless stream of technicians, all of whom have declared they have resolved the problem but haven't.

As soon as the wind blows, the problem comes back.

I have considered Free's offering many times but always assumed that since mine is a France Telecom line then I would still have the same problems but it sounds like that in your case Free have had more clout than me with France Telecom.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Free internet customer service

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="Allan"

That's interesting, I have had 9 years of problems with an Orange ADSL line. Their helpdesk is always responsive and have sent an endless stream of technicians, all of whom have declared they have resolved the problem but haven't.

As soon as the wind blows, the problem comes back.

I have considered Free's offering many times but always assumed that since mine is a France Telecom line then I would still have the same problems but it sounds like that in your case Free have had more clout than me with France Telecom.[/quote]

I must admit that buying a "degrouped" service gave me pause, given the apparent scope for buck-passing and mutual recrimination. As I've said, that has not been my experience in practice, though that is no more than anecdote.

But as you say, it may help if you rent 5 million lines rather than one. And I don't suppose that they hang on the line at a call centre. The thing that impressed me is that their customer service people just worry away at things over a period of weeks. If they hassle FT on your behalf as much as they hassled me for my own good, they could be well worth trying. I find the rest of their offer entirely satisfactory.