Netflix to try to stop the use of their services via VPN

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ooooooooops
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

So am I right in thinking that you can subscribe to Netflix in France (as well as or instead of UK. And if so what content is available. I love virtually everything about living in France but cinema isn't among that.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

neil mitchell wrote:So am I right in thinking that you can subscribe to Netflix in France (as well as or instead of UK. And if so what content is available. I love virtually everything about living in France but cinema isn't among that.
I've not been tempted but it is available here (Google eg "Netflix France). I believe that their selection is markedly smaller here (as in other foreign markets) than it is in the US, and even some of their own stuff (eg "House of Cards") is unavailable here (because the French rights have been sold to Canal +). And I believe that they respect the French embargo on recently-cinema-released films on films to which it applies.

A bit of googling will tell you all you could conceivably want to know, if not more. One thing I did discover is it that Englsh-language films seem to be generally available with the original soundtrack, and you can turn off the subtitles if you dig through the menus.

If you haven't liked French film, try (at random) "Les Tontons Flingeurs" or "La Bataille d'Alger". But both around 50 years old, and no CGI.
QB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by QB »

I was skiing in the Alps last week and wanted to watch iPlayer, Netflix and Amazon Video on both my Surface Pro 4 and my iPad. I used the IP Vanish and UK Telecom VPN services. I had mixed results as follows:

- iPlayer was able to watch live and catchup content using both VPNs. It identified that I was not in the UK and blocked content with no VPN

- Netflix was able to watch UK content without using a VPN. It detected both VPNs and blocked content

- Amazon Video was unable to watch anything. Without the VPNs, it identified that I was not in the UK and blocked content. It also identified that I was using VPNs and blocked content

Hope that this helps.

Q
[/list]
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by martyn94 »

QB wrote:I was skiing in the Alps last week and wanted to watch iPlayer, Netflix and Amazon Video on both my Surface Pro 4 and my iPad. I used the IP Vanish and UK Telecom VPN services. I had mixed results as follows:

- iPlayer was able to watch live and catchup content using both VPNs. It identified that I was not in the UK and blocked content with no VPN

- Netflix was able to watch UK content without using a VPN. It detected both VPNs and blocked content

- Amazon Video was unable to watch anything. Without the VPNs, it identified that I was not in the UK and blocked content. It also identified that I was using VPNs and blocked content

Hope that this helps.

Q
[/list]
How on earth did you find time to ski?
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've been having problems with US Netflix through a Smart DNS recently. It seems to play content that we have already started watching but no new stuff. French Netflix still works. It certainly limits the attraction of Netflix.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Many VPN providers now offer dedicated IP VPNs. These give you an IP address dedicated to you and only you as opposed to the general IP of the VPN. Using one of these you will not appear to Netflix (or any other site) to be using a VPN.

Russell.