Solution for slow internet

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Solution for slow internet

Post by Boomshanka »

Hi All

A while ago people asked about a solution for holiday home internet etc. also the big issue we have seen across many parts of the PO are very slow speeds for the broadband connection via the land line (Many parts of Argeles are below 1.5mbs on a good day when no one is using it) simply due to the old France Telecom infrastructure.

I don't want to place an advert on the forum as that is not correct but as Martyn94 and other have asked for the info when it is ready please look at our new service for high speed 4G broadband across the PO and in fact the whole of France.

www.freedom4g.com all the info is there.

Thanks and if this offends please let me know and i will of course remove the post

Andrew
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Freedom Router 259€ ttc
Sim card 85€ ttc
Service Contract 89€ ttc PER MONTH !!!

Not for me, thank you Boomshanka :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Smiley G on Wed 06 Jan 2016 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

It doesn't look bad value to me.

I have both 4G and satellite internet and I much prefer the 4G connection but can't use it all the time because of the data restriction.

The cost compares vary favourably with satellite internet.

My only concern is what guarantee of service is offered? When I installed a 4G router, I bought 4G Simms from Orange, SFR. and Bouygues but only Orange worked at my location even though my location is shown as having service on the Bouygues map.

Perhaps Boomshanka would like to comment on what happens in such circumstances?
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Hi Allan

If you had purchased and installed the service but found that all was not working for you just inform us of the situation and send everything back to us for a refund.
You are not committed to it if it does not work for you. Also we need to know if an area is no viable so we do not sell to anyone in that area.

For new orders in the PO I will be happy to arrange a personal install.

The router price is inclusive of the sim card.
The Best UK TV in France- No Dish - No PC - NO VPN - 100% legal Just �145
Visit www.moochie.media or find us in the Anglophone Directory.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I have recently been able to increase the Tinternet Download Speed on our Free ADSL Sevice by a simple demand on my account webpage... Mad that you have to ask... but an increase from +/-2mb/s to 8mb/s + has been wonderful!!!
Other people i know have had good results, by ringing their Service Providers and complaining/ asking if their speed is normal etc. etc etc... It is well worth asking Neighbours as to what speeed they are getting.....

BTW:

http://www.speedtest.net/fr/

is the Test i use
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I sacked SFR back in the summer and went over to Orange. Instant increase from 7-8Mbps to 12+Mbps.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:It doesn't look bad value to me.

I have both 4G and satellite internet and I much prefer the 4G connection but can't use it all the time because of the data restriction.

The cost compares vary favourably with satellite internet.

My only concern is what guarantee of service is offered? When I installed a 4G router, I bought 4G Simms from Orange, SFR. and Bouygues but only Orange worked at my location even though my location is shown as having service on the Bouygues map.

Perhaps Boomshanka would like to comment on what happens in such circumstances?

If you can live with just a hotspot (no VPN or whatever), Free offer 50GB per month for €20 (plus unlimited calls etc) if you put one of their sims in a 4G phone with a hotspot facility (which I guess they all have). Free have recently started 4G service round my way: I have just got about 7Gb down and 1.5 Gb up, at what is usually a busy time of day.

Some googling suggests that their SIMs work in a a 4G router so long as you start with the SIM in a 4G phone and use it in the phone for a while every month (so that their systems can check the IMEI number).

If you are already a Free landline client, you get this deal for €16, but in that case you probably have decent speeds without resorting to 4G internet.

I was mildly surprised to find (once I think about it) that I could ditch my landline service and save about €25 a month with minimal loss of "functionality" (at least for my particular needs). But I'm not sure I can be bothered with the faff.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote: If you can live with just a hotspot (no VPN or whatever), Free offer 50GB per month for €20 (plus unlimited calls etc) if you put one of their sims in a 4G phone with a hotspot facility (which I guess they all have). Free have recently started 4G service round my way: I have just got about 7Gb down and 1.5 Gb up, at what is usually a busy time of day.

Some googling suggests that their SIMs work in a a 4G router so long as you start with the SIM in a 4G phone and use it in the phone for a while every month (so that their systems can check the IMEI number).

If you are already a Free landline client, you get this deal for €16, but in that case you probably have decent speeds without resorting to 4G internet.

I was mildly surprised to find (once I think about it) that I could ditch my landline service and save about €25 a month with minimal loss of "functionality" (at least for my particular needs). But I'm not sure I can be bothered with the faff.
I am aware of 4G from Free, when I go to USAP matches I get a terrific speed. Unfortunately it doesn't work at my location. Free supposedly piggybacks onto the Orange network but it clearly doesn't as far as 4G is concerned.

I have had 8 years of problems with my Orange ADSL, it is a bit like that film Groundhog day, I report a problem, they send someone, declare it working and wait for the next time the wind blows when they repeat the process.

A couple of years ago I installed Tooway satellite internet, it is great in that I have a UK iP address and unlimited data allowance but it is so over-subscribed that I am lucky to get a tenth of their quoted 20MB download speed.

A few months ago I added Orange 4G which has worked really well and is much better for VOIP and video-conferencing, unfortunately it is limited to 8Gb a month which goes remarkably quickly.

If Boomshanka's 4G works where I live then I will certainly give it a go.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
I am aware of 4G from Free, when I go to USAP matches I get a terrific speed. Unfortunately it doesn't work at my location. Free supposedly piggybacks onto the Orange network but it clearly doesn't as far as 4G is concerned.

I have had 8 years of problems with my Orange ADSL, it is a bit like that film Groundhog day, I report a problem, they send someone, declare it working and wait for the next time the wind blows when they repeat the process.

A couple of years ago I installed Tooway satellite internet, it is great in that I have a UK iP address and unlimited data allowance but it is so over-subscribed that I am lucky to get a tenth of their quoted 20MB download speed.
You're right that the piggybacking on Orange by Free doesn't extend to 4G, but it may be worth keeping an eye on them: they are expanding their 4G coverage quite energetically, though from a low base.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience with Tooway: I've had it for years at my other place, and been satisfied like you. But I haven't used it seriously in the last year. I always suspected that I was enjoying a honeymoon before "contention" slowed it down: if anything I'm surprised it took so long. Despite regular stirring announcements, I think it will be a long time before adequate (let alone fast) Internet comes to the profonder parts of la France profonde.
villafailte
Rank 0
Rank 0

Broadband Argeles sur mer

Post by villafailte »

Just been reading above. Have had orange internet in Argeles Sur Mer for 2 years now. Speed is not bad and is consistently 4-5MB. Problem is that it frequently cuts out (maybe once per week). Can always re-instate with a phone call but have to be in the house beside the box in order to do this ... no use if renting house and guests are there. Orange refuse to visit as they can reconnect it and always shows that no fault once reconnected !! Came out once said all fine and charged 90 Euros !!! Don't know if this is a common problem in Argeles but certainly our experience.

One other observation ... the Moochie Media service is excellent for UK tv and films. It is basically a KODI box but with all the software installed and updates as required going forward. It is your call if comfortable using as Kodi is effectively streaming of content from internet, sometimes fully legal other times not.
kenny
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kenny »

Generally slow "internet" speeds turn out to be slow wifi inhouse

You need to test your internet speed wired
using a laptop / desktop etc

You will need a network cable (cat 5e or cat 6)

connect between your device and your internet provider router

test the speed using speedtest.net

If you pay for x mb, you should get x mb or close to it, wired, if you dont call your internet provider

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next test your WIfi speed
if you notice a significant drop using wifi, you may need to purchase a third party router (which you connect to the internet provider router)

I have an TPlink Archer C8 , and the wifi speeds i achieve now are much faster , than wifi on the third party router using the internet provider router