BBC iplayer

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

BBC iplayer

Post by montgolfiere »

I have seen reports on the Web that the Beeb are going to block VPN access to iplayer...It would be a shame but at least access to live programmes will still be available via Filmon on a computer or ipad android box etc. With the signal so good at the moment i havent had to resort to my Android Box for at least a month as reception on the trusty old (sd) Digibox is reliable.
BTW. this is with a 125 Gibby Dish with Feedhorn LNB roughly on the north/south line equivalent to 10km. north of Perpignan.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Interesting....where did you read this
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Dylan
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Please find me a clever geek who'll sort out a work around!
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Have you been reading the thread on PO Life Facebook Malcolm.
Dylan
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

No I haven't. I'll go take a look.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I'm in UK for the next couple of months so I can't check. I read the Register and it all sounds very definite and immediate, has everyone lost BBC IPlayer?
And (Allan) I'm guessing that includes Smart DNS too.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

From Peoples posts on Facebook it only seems to be one person at the moment so it could well be a problem with his system!
Dylan
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Kate. I don't do Facebook but that is encouraging.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Sorry, I mean Sue.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

There are however reports on the Web that this will happpen. I am trying to get some info out of my VPN Provider (iportal) at the moment...

iplayer however is still working this lunchtime...
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

neil mitchell wrote:I'm in UK for the next couple of months so I can't check. I read the Register and it all sounds very definite and immediate, has everyone lost BBC IPlayer?
And (Allan) I'm guessing that includes Smart DNS too.
Allan's your man. But I imagine that both for VPN and DNS, it must depend on how completely the BBC manage to list, and block, the server addresses that they want to block. It could descend into a game of whack-a-mole, but I don't think I want to play it. It must be quite easy to detect the addresses which are generating anomalous amounts of traffic, pretty much in real time.

It does make you wonder where, eg, Filmon (and Boomshanka's other sources) get their feeds from, and whether they could be blocked too, now that the BBC seem to be serious. I don't claim to have any insight into that.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

I've just checked and it's gone on Hola.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

martyn94 wrote:
neil mitchell wrote: It does make you wonder where, eg, Filmon (and Boomshanka's other sources) get their feeds from, and whether they could be blocked too, now that the BBC seem to be serious. I don't claim to have any insight into that.
I presume that Filmon get their feeds live off air and generate their own streams so no need for a VPN.

iPlayer is still working fine with iPortal VPN.

Russell.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
neil mitchell wrote: It does make you wonder where, eg, Filmon (and Boomshanka's other sources) get their feeds from, and whether they could be blocked too, now that the BBC seem to be serious. I don't claim to have any insight into that.
I presume that Filmon get their feeds live off air and generate their own streams so no need for a VPN.
Yes indeed. As often, it struck me only after posting a half-baked comment. But even so, if the Beeb are going to block VPNs, they will look a bit silly if they do nothing to stop people nicking their FTA signal. Assuming that they have any legal purchase to do anything about it.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

the iportal vpn still working this morning....
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

BBC iPlayer & ITV Player both currently available on Firefox with Anonymox Add-On.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

reply from iportal :

I don't know whether this will put your mind at rest or not, but we are NOT worrying about it here!! :O)
The BBC have said this in the past and haven't actually done anything. However, if they DO implement a ban, there will be a number of ways in which they do this, and we will not know how to counteract it, until they do, and we can find the method used. Our technical team are aware of some of the methods used to do this, and how to counteract them, but clearly, they cannot tell in advance which method the BBC will use. We will, of course, inform our clients if and when we have any idea of how this might impact our service, in terms of any loss of service whilst this is corrected.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Hi All.
I'll be back down again soon, just wondering if we still have IPlayer because I might think of the slingbox arrangement if it really has gone. Thanks.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

iplayer still working as of this morning chez moi......(with the iportal vpn).
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Mont, that's reassuring. I'm thinking that IPortal is one of the more widely used VPN's so if BBC did start blocking then they would be one of the first to go.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Mine is working fine with overplay
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thank you too, even better, I use Overplay.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Iplayer fine for me too Neil, and a friend set up the slingbox option a couple of months ago and it worked very well.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Kate. You know I think I might give the slingbox thing a go too.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

neil mitchell wrote:Thanks Kate. You know I think I might give the slingbox thing a go too.
Neil, if you use a Slingbox, you need a device to run the Slingplayer on. It could be a PC, an iPad, a Fire TV, an Android TV box. Assuming you want to watch it on a TV then, the easiest options are an iPad coupled with an Apple TV or a kindle Fire TV.

The iPad is great because it shows you an on-screen remote control.

You need to think also about what you are connecting it to. Slingbox doesn't support HDMI, so your connection must either be composite or component video. Composite is the most widely available but restricts you to a standard definition picture.

If you want to see what it looks like, send me a PM and I'll send you some login details
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Allan. Very good info which I didn't know. Would the MAG250 box which I use for UKExPatTV be an android TV box. I've been very happy with them for two years now but things change and I like to be "ahead of the curve".
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

neil mitchell wrote:Thanks Allan. Very good info which I didn't know. Would the MAG250 box which I use for UKExPatTV be an android TV box. I've been very happy with them for two years now but things change and I like to be "ahead of the curve".
I don't believe so, there are plenty of references on the web to connecting a Slingbox to a Mag250 but they are about accessing the Mag250 remotely but not using it as a player.

I believe the Mag250 is based on Linux, not Android
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Allan.