Unwanted telephone calls - spam

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Martin49
Rank 0
Rank 0

Unwanted telephone calls - spam

Post by Martin49 »

How do I block calls from cold callers in France?
Thanks
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Unwanted telephone calls - spam

Post by Allan »

Martin49 wrote:How do I block calls from cold callers in France?
Thanks
Unplug the phone or buy a call blocker
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Thanks
Most cold calls come from withheld numbers. If you're with Orange you can subscribe to "Stop Secret" whereby the callers have to identify themselves and you are called by Orange Stop Secret. You then have the option to accept or reject the call.
Another option is to populate your phone with the names and numbers of people/organisations that are likely to call you (and that you might want to call) and if a call displays a number that doesn't display a name that you know.......don't answer it
:wink:
Last edited by Smiley G on Thu 10 Sep 2015 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Smiley G wrote:
Thanks
Most cold calls come from withheld numbers. If you're with Orange you can subscribe to "Stop Secret" whereby the callers have to identify themselves and you are called by Orange Stop Secret. You then have the option to acept or reject the call.
Another option is to populate your phone with the names and numbers of people/organisations that are likely to call you (and that you might want to call) and if a call displays a number that doesn't display a name that you know.......don't answer it
:wink:
I have had stop secret for a long time and have only ever had a couple of announced calls, I don't of course know how many callers don't bother to announce themselves.

I still get loads of unwanted calls, these days it is easy to show a fake number.

I have bought a call blocker but have just been too busy to implement it.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Allan, what IS a call blocker? You've got me interested.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Libby
Rank 2
Rank 2

Unwanted calls

Post by Libby »

We have our phone listed so callers show up, but there is the occasional qlitch.
If a 'secret number' or 'caller unknown' shows up we ignore it.
If there's a qlitch we wait for the answer machine to intercept. If it's important and/or a friend they will, most likely, leave a message. You an then intercept and speak or call back.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Smiley G wrote:Allan, what IS a call blocker? You've got me interested.
It is a box that since in your phone line in front of the phone. It holds a white list and a black list. The white list is of your friends and family and calls you want, the black list are those you want to block, those calls just get a b****r off message and the phone doesn't ring.

Calls where the number is not recognised or withheld get a message saying that you are screening all your calls and ask them to say who they are, it is a bit like Stop Secret, you can accept the call, decline it or send it to an answering machine. At the end of a call you can press a button to add the caller to the White list or the black list.

You can also block calls from foreign countries or withheld numbers, a lot of the fake Microsoft calls come from Pakistan so you can just block all calls from Pakistan if you wish.
It gets rid of all the 'silent calls' as they never respond to the please say who you are message.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

If your phone comes via a "box", some providers (or at least my own, Free) allow you to block anonymous callers (if your phone will show caller ID) or to blacklist particular numbers (or groups of numbers if you only enter the first few digits) without using separate kit. Search on eg "filtrage des appels entrants" with the name of yr provider.

That said, I have never tried: junk calls have never annoyed me enough to seem worth the faff.

Letting them go through to answerphone seems to me the worst option. It wastes your time, and wastes your caller's time if you do eventually pick up. It seems easier just to pick up, listen for 5 seconds and then put down. About one second is often enough if they are using predictive dialling.