Sky TV-can I also view BT Sport?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

DavidB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Sky TV-can I also view BT Sport?

Post by DavidB »

Hi...the perrenial problem!
With the usual exceptions of BBC, ITV, etc, I can currently view the rest of the Sky offerings without any problems, including Sky Sport if I paid the money. I'm looking at the feasibility of including BT Sport in my Sky package, which seems to be possible.
Given that Sky uses Eutelsat, and BBC et al use Astra2E, if I did include BT Sport in the Sky package, I'm not sure whether this would mean that the BT Sport addition would be supplied from the same source as the BBC channels. In which case, I'm wasting my time and money.
Has anyone had any experience of this?
Regards....David
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Sky TV-can I also view BT Sport?

Post by Allan »

DavidB wrote:Hi...the perrenial problem!
With the usual exceptions of BBC, ITV, etc, I can currently view the rest of the Sky offerings without any problems, including Sky Sport if I paid the money. I'm looking at the feasibility of including BT Sport in my Sky package, which seems to be possible.
Given that Sky uses Eutelsat, and BBC et al use Astra2E, if I did include BT Sport in the Sky package, I'm not sure whether this would mean that the BT Sport addition would be supplied from the same source as the BBC channels. In which case, I'm wasting my time and money.
Has anyone had any experience of this?
Regards....David
It isn't the satellite that makes the difference, it is the spot beam. I believe that BT Sport is on the UK spot beam so will suffer the same problems as BBC but the BT Sport HD channels are on the European beam so they should work. There is however no guarantee that they will stay on that beam.
DavidB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DavidB »

Thanks for the responseAllan. I've found the channel you mention in the Astra 2E listings under BT Sport Europe, HD on 11385 MHz...is this the one you are referring to?
I'm still a bit hesitant, since it would cost me an extra £10 pm for a minimum of 12 months, which is not too bad, except that I would like to hear first from anyone who already receives it.
Regards....David
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

DavidB wrote:Thanks for the responseAllan. I've found the channel you mention in the Astra 2E listings under BT Sport Europe, HD on 11385 MHz...is this the one you are referring to?
I'm still a bit hesitant, since it would cost me an extra £10 pm for a minimum of 12 months, which is not too bad, except that I would like to hear first from anyone who already receives it.
Regards....David
BT Sports 1 and 2 in HD are currently shown as being on the pan European beam on the Lyngsat website but a different site suggests that they are all on the European beam so you are right to try and find someone actually using it. I had BT sport last year but I have a big dish so my experience is of no value to you. Whatever you do I would wait a few weeks until all the satellite shuffling has finished.

I am however intrigued how you can get it for £10 a month, their Website says nearly £20
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Try the internet and Time4tv
Dylan
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

What would be the best " Digital to Analog Converter " - for use with an old arial and old flat screen TV , here in the PO . Thanks , Paul ....
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I'm not sure I correctly understand the question but if you have WiFi and a smartphone or tablet, Chromecast is a very cheap way to get things like BBC iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube and many other services onto an old TV, provided it has an HDMI socket. The Chromecast hardware costs 30€.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

For some reason Chromecast didn't work for us so we have an Android stick.
Dylan
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Sorry , meant to mention French Terrestrial TV . Not the normal UK stuff ! I assume that the standard TNT box does not contain a digital converter or does it , if it has a scart outlet . TV has scart & RGB inputs...Paul....
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

sue and paul wrote:Sorry , meant to mention French Terrestrial TV . Not the normal UK stuff ! I assume that the standard TNT box does not contain a digital converter or does it , if it has a scart outlet . TV has scart & RGB inputs...Paul....
There are plenty of sub €30 decoders around with Scart interfaces. It is the decoder that toes the Digital to Analogue conversion
DavidB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DavidB »

Allan wrote:BT Sports 1 and 2 in HD are currently shown as being on the pan European beam on the Lyngsat website but a different site suggests that they are all on the European beam so you are right to try and find someone actually using it. I had BT sport last year but I have a big dish so my experience is of no value to you. Whatever you do I would wait a few weeks until all the satellite shuffling has finished.

I am however intrigued how you can get it for £10 a month, their Website says nearly £20
Maybe I got the figure wrong, or it may have been linked to accepting a BT broadband account, in which case I'm snookered. When the satellite shuffling is finished, I'm sure BT and Sky will have the winning hands!
Thks for the info.....David
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Post deleted
Last edited by Boomshanka on Wed 29 Jul 2015 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
The Best UK TV in France- No Dish - No PC - NO VPN - 100% legal Just �145
Visit www.moochie.media or find us in the Anglophone Directory.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Dose this website/forum support Pirates, who are not paying Subscriptions? It is one thing to access the likes of Filmon......but??
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Deleted
Last edited by Boomshanka on Wed 29 Jul 2015 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
The Best UK TV in France- No Dish - No PC - NO VPN - 100% legal Just �145
Visit www.moochie.media or find us in the Anglophone Directory.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:Dose this website/forum support Pirates, who are not paying Subscriptions? It is one thing to access the likes of Filmon......but??
Isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black, for the last couple of years you have been promoting XBMC as a way of watching Filmon on HD rather than paying their subscription.
Boomshanka wrote:It is not strictly legal to watch Sky outside of the UK even if you pay for a subscription as the licence is for UK broadcast only. That is why satellite dealers sell you a card with a UK address if you do not have one and charge you handsomely for the privilege.
I think you are confusing contractual terms with legality, it is perfectly legal to watch Sky outside of the UK, it is simply contrary to their terms and conditions which give Sky the right to terminate your account if you are in breach of them.

I think there is quite a big difference between a contractual breach and fraudulently obtaining subscription services.

Certainly the police in various in various European countries see the difference with the recent arrests of suppliers of fully loaded (piracy configured) TV boxes.

It is a strange thing that people who wouldn't dream of stealing normally will happily avoid paying a subscription to watch a TV service.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Isn't this all the most ridiculous thing! None of this was a problem before the satellite changeover and it is all down to the BBC. If they could just get down from their self constructed pedestal and put everything on the European beam so that we Johnny foreigners can watch it then all of this blatant ripping off of content and, frankly, highly dodgy "systems" would go away. I get that they wouldn't want to give their content away free to the entire of Europe but really, in this day and age it must be possible to have a method of collecting a fee from anyone outside UK who wants to view. I'm certain that the overwhelming majority of UK Expats would happily pay the equivalent of the license fee to be able to receive the FreeSat content and those who want more would still pay for a Sky subscription or Netflix etc.
The BBC is coming uo for some major changes in the future and by cracky the are long overdue.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I think that we will see BBC iPLayer being offered as a subscription service throughout Europe in the future but the problem today is that they have already sold programs to terrestrial and cable TV companies with exclusive rights within a country, eg. Sherlock. Also, the BBC can tender for sports coverage for the UK, but cannot then make that available in other countries where another company has bought the same tender.

So when iPlayer does become pay-to-view in Europe, I'm sure it will be with reduced content.

In the meantime, I would warn against paying too much for these "fully-loaded" boxes as there is very little guarantee that they will be able to continue re-broadcasting licensed content.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

I was intrigued by Allan's reference to recent arrests and so went a-googling. This link explains more about what happened:

https://torrentfreak.com/organized-crim ... rs-150630/

But as for Neil blaming the BBC for restricting programme rights, it's much more complicated than that. All broadcasters spend millions, even billions, on acquiring or producing programmes for broadcast on their various channels in their respective licence areas - apart from the publicly funded broadcasters, they then rely on advertising and subscription in order to recover their investment. (In addition, if they own certain rights in the content, they can exploit it internationally. Even so, there are often payaways to be made with international exploitation - format holders, artists, writers, the producers).
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I know, you are right. It is horribly complex and really you need to be an expert to understand it properly. I was only referring to the BBC who let all of their content be seen for the price of a license fee and suggesting that the principle be extended across Europe. That surely isn't complicated. If people want more then, in addition, they can pay for other services but my suspicion is that most ExPats would be happy to pay the BBC to watch their content in their particular corner of Europe.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

What is crazy is that they originally had the 'perfect system' in and up and running.... Access to the UK Domestic Channels was restricted by a Viewing Card (FTV) which was only 'Issued' to Licence Fee Payers.....then they scrapped it and moved everything FTA and now we find ourselves in this situation, where they try and restict access via the footprint....Madness
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Couldn't they just set it up again quite simply if they transmitted on the European beam. Everyone needs some kind of Satellite TV receiver so a viewing card, just like a sky card card, which is activated by paying a fee would work wouldn't it? The problem is institutionalised Britishness at the BBC.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

neil mitchell wrote:Couldn't they just set it up again quite simply if they transmitted on the European beam. Everyone needs some kind of Satellite TV receiver so a viewing card, just like a sky card card, which is activated by paying a fee would work wouldn't it? The problem is institutionalised Britishness at the BBC.
"Quite simply"? I don't suppose you are an intellectual-property lawyer, or an expert in the economics of encrypted TV transmission, but it seems a bit off-the-cuff even in a forum for people without these qualifications.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I'm not a pompous ass either
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Interesting that supplying IPTV boxes loaded with Kodi is seen as illegal in the UK. I think there might be some difficulty in the courts with that. Is it illegal to sell a Windows PC with a web browser installed because you can use it to download pirate videos from bittorrent sites or access streaming sites?

As I understand it there is no legal problem with IPTV in France. Receiving streamed video is legal. It is the act of storing downloaded videos that is illegal.

Russell
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Surely it's illegal to source pirated video content anywhere.

It's not illegal to own a car. But it is to drive it when pissed or over the speed limit.

PS: I don't know what Kodi is.