** BEWARE FREE VPN FOR UKTV **

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

** BEWARE FREE VPN FOR UKTV **

Post by Boomshanka »

Hi All

Just seen a report on another forum from a computer engineer who was asked by local Gendarmes to check out a PC following a meeting with the bank, the police and the local Marie. The British lady had become victim to cyber crime and the fraudsters stole 35,000 euro from her account with her knowing. No viruses where found on the computer and she had a strong password, how did they get the data??

She had lost the satellite signal!! so downloaded a Free VPN to watch BBC iPlayer. The VPN recorded all the data on her computer inc account details and passwords and they simply used that to empty the accounts. She placed the VPN on the computer so the bank will not refund the money and all is lost.

Tips:
1. Don't use a Free VPN to watch TV on your PC
2. Don't use a VPN and PC at all
3. If you do need a VPN only buy a VPN from a reputable company - do your research
4. Do use a stand alone TV box for accessing TV - it does not have access to personal details
5. Only buy from a fully registered company - always check their website for "Mentions Legal" or legal notice on here it should have all of the following data:

Name of company owner
Website hosts
Siret Number
APE Activity code
Contact address and phone number

If they do not display this then avoid - they hide it for a reason.

Above all keep your personal data safe

You can get UKTV safely and cost effectively without the risk of fraudsters if you follow these tips and do some research first
The Best UK TV in France- No Dish - No PC - NO VPN - 100% legal Just �145
Visit www.moochie.media or find us in the Anglophone Directory.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I'm not entirley sure that I believs that.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boomshanka

Post by Smiley G »

neil mitchell wrote:I'm not entirley sure that I believs that.
Perhaps Boomshanka would like to provide the link to the forum he obtained the information from.
I haven't found anything that comes close to the portrayal of events alleged to have happened as a result of using a free VPN.
8) :shock:
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Hi Smiley G

Did not want to promote other sites but the article is on the front page of this site (admin i hope this is OK to do as this could save others from such fate)

It's halfway down the page - Author Bruce Taylor

http://lfn.org.uk/

I know i sell TV systems that rival satellite etc. but i would never lie to gain business which is what many people on here seem to think and prejudge me on. Even so I just wanted to advise people what i have seen so that they do not get caught out as well. Saving a few Euro could cost thousands.

This proves that nothing is really Free.

Choose your suppliers very carefully as detailed in my last post
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Fair enough!
Boomshanka, never be afraid to provide a link to another site, I do it a lot!
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

You see Neil and Smiley we are not all here to lie, cheat, steal just to get a sale and a few quid - we left people with that attitude back in the UK a long time ago.

Our whole ethos is "work as a community" even if there is no gain directly for us - it's called sharing information that helps others. We could have said nothing as there is zero personal gain for us but it is good to be honest and help others. Strange concept to most but that is how we do things.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Cheers Smiley

Next time i'll post any links - just did not want to break any forum rules
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

The part about "mentions Legal" that applies to any company or website - that is the legal requirement in France to protect the public from Fraudster in any marketplace
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I still don't know whether to believe it.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Well i didn't at first but it really happened.

Just wanted to warn people rather than hearing more stories.

Not sure why people would make up that sort of thing and publish it with all their details on it if it where mot true though.

Does not affect me as the Moochie Media system does not need any VPN for UKTV at all so safe online. I do know many people still struggle with the disappearing satellite signal so resort to a computer back up and iPlayer so thought it best to pass on the info so people are aware - after that its up to the individual on how much risk they take
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

UK TV via The Non Subscription Filmon and the Filmon Feeds via XBMC Google apps on Android/ IPad or Apple and Microsoft etc. do not require the use of a VPN.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Unfortunately the 'Wild West of Android apps and KODI or XBMC downloads is far more likely to compromise a PC than a rogue VPN.

The KODI XBMC world is full of programmers that focus on depriving Sky, Filmon and loads of other companies of their rightful revenue so why would they not turn their attentions to the people who use their software?

The guy that wrote the original article advocated using a DNS redirection service suggesting it is more secure - total nonsense. A SmartDNS service fools your computer into thinking that one of their servers is the BBC or whatever site you are accessing, their server then accesses BBC on your behalf and passes the stream through. There is absolutely nothing to stop them adding Natwest.com, Barclays.co.uk, HSBC.com etc. and redirecting you to a replica site that then collects your password

Then again there is nothing to stop your ISP or any other along the route from doing the same thing.

Unfortunately, if you want to use the internet then you have to trust someone so make sure if you are using a VPN or a DNS service that they are well established and have a decent reputation.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

iportal.me is a well established VPN and as far as i know, has a good reputation. It is however a subscription service. I started using it when it was in the 'Testing' Stage maybe 4 or 5 years ago and have reccomended it (please note: with no personal benefit) ever since, and i have never had any come back.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Sounds like a simple solution would be to not use a pc/laptop/pad with personal data on it to access online TV.

A stand alone unit is much safer and it does not require a VPN at all to get UK TV in HD.

Seems the point is being missed and more is placed on what people have said about DNS or "my VPN is better than yours" The fact is Satellite is going, people who want BBC etc are easy target for scammers.

Someone has lost a small fortune and we want to stop that happening ever again.

Always use a reputable company rather than a Free/Cheap offer company with no details published - Basic common sense really
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I use satellite here in the southern Aude for 95% of my UK TV Watching. i only use the likes of an Android Unit or iplayer etc for back up when the signal occasionally weakens or to catch up on missed programs etc.... I prefer not to have 'all my eggs in one basket'and, as both the Internet and satellite can have problems, having the 2 options is a real plus.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

montgolfiere misses the point and uses the post to promote how he watches telly.

The point is to warn and protect those people who may be tempted by a FREE offer and then lose loads of savings.

Its a personal choice how you watch TV just don't get scammed.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Bruce Taylor who wrote the LFN article says Smart DNS is safe, Allan says it isn't.

Could someone explain how Smart DNS works why it is/isn't safe and whether there is anything we can do to make it safer - like firewalls etc.

Thanks
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

This is Smart DNS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_DNS_proxy_server

How to make it safer - Don't use one on anything that has personal data on it.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Boomshanka wrote:Well i didn't at first but it really happened.

Just wanted to warn people rather than hearing more stories.

Not sure why people would make up that sort of thing and publish it with all their details on it if it where mot true though.

Does not affect me as the Moochie Media system does not need any VPN for UKTV at all so safe online. I do know many people still struggle with the disappearing satellite signal so resort to a computer back up and iPlayer so thought it best to pass on the info so people are aware - after that its up to the individual on how much risk they take

Only pointing out how i watch tv as opposed to you pointing out promoting? how you watch tv!!!
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

So as always it comes back to a dig about what i do - surprise surprise.
At least i am thoughtful to help others avoid fraudulent traders.

You just can't help some people can you. It's like being in a playground at primary school again - He said that so i said this etc etc.
FFS
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

The internet is a big bad world full of people trying to steal your money.

The fact is that not much is truly safe. In China recently someone set up a fake bank complete with uniformed staff that managed to collect more than £20 million before vanishing.

There have been cases of people installing fake night safes, fake cash machines and card skimming credit card readers are commonly encountered.

Phoney DNS scams work much like the dubious links in phishing emails, they connect you to a site that looks like the bank's website and when you log in it captures your credentials and then says log in failed please try again, after a couple of goes it then connects you to the banks site and you log in successfully thinking everything is all right.

Sensible banks these days have multiple levels of security, in some cases with token devices but watch out on your Amazon account.

Boomshanka is right to some extent that using a separate device is somewhat safer but on the other hand unless you dedicate an internet connection to it you will have a box stuffed full of software largely committed to pirating broadcast media which is sitting on the same network as the computer that you use for on-line banking. The term Trojan Horse springs to mind.

I am sure Boomshanka doesn't think there is anything wrong with the software on his box but like the rest of us he can't be sure.

The answer of course is just to be careful, keep your computer up to date with anti-virus firewall and anti-malware software distrust every email and avoid services that you have never heard of.
Davidsimon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Davidsimon »

neil mitchell wrote:I'm not entirley sure that I believs that.
Unnamed woman in unnamed town loses large amount of money everybody beware!............. not the greatest piece of journalism :wink:
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

As I understand it one of the reasons that banks use https connections is that it uses encryption to prevent "man in the middle" attacks of the type discussed. When you log into your bank's site you should always check that the address shown in the address bar starts with "https//:". However, although I use a well known paid VPN (not only for TV but for example when buying from a site that only delivers to the UK) I only activate it for as long as I am needing it.

I have seen it advised in the past that you configure your router to use your VPN. That is not a good idea. It is easy to control the use of a VPN from Windows, Android, Linux, and I guess MAC.

Russell.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Thanks everyone. As I understand it now, as long as the Smart DNS provider is legitimate, we are safe from phishing as much as we would normally be and our PCs firewall and security software (eg Norton) will detect the malicious sites as normal.

Therefore there is no advantage in having separate hardware.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

I always have separate hardware for watching TV as it has no personal data on it. You can't steal what is not there. Never have everything in one place.

For all online work i only use linux systems as they are much safer than any windows based systems especially when protected by a decent security package.

You do not need VPN or DNS to watch TV as that is only needed for iPlayer etc. that will eventually change if the EU has a single digital market so geo restricted areas are removed and no VPN is needed for iPlayer etc.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Like Boomshanka I use a dedicated PC for watching UK TV in France. I subscribe to a good quality VPN provider with portals throughout the world. I bought a shop soiled PC for a small sum. It outputs to the TV by an HDMI cable and has a separate audio output. This enables me to listen to the radio via an amp.

The PC is configured to load the VPN and BBC iPLayer on start up. Cheap, reliable, suits me fine. With the additional advantage that I can watch French TV in the UK as the VPN is transferable!

Gus
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

DONT FORGET..... you can watch UK TV on a Computer (without the need for any VPN etc.) via Filmon. for Windows 8,1 there is a neat 'app' Filmon HDi Player which is excellent.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Its great for UK FTA in standard def but does buffer at peak tiumes due to server overloading, its free so over subscribed. HD service is more stable but you have to pay and the cost is 149 Euro a year
but no movies, sports, box sets or catch up TV on the free version.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

montgolfiere wrote:DONT FORGET..... you can watch UK TV on a Computer (without the need for any VPN etc.) via Filmon. for Windows 8,1 there is a neat 'app' Filmon HDi Player which is excellent.
The new FilmOn app. for iOS is excellent, no SD buffering, the App. is stable and with easy channel selection. Linked to our TV via an Apple AV adaptor and HDMI cable, we get all the UK TV we require and that's with only 2Mbps with Orange.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

That great Smiley G we cater for those that want more and want UK TV in HD with no PC or dish etc.

Can't be cheap to have apple ios mac or ipad and apple TV 80 euros etc and a bit of a faff