Internet speeds

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

I have been experiencing drops in speed from Orange. This morning, my download speed was less than 0.25Mbps and the upload speed was about half of that. The server was at Perpignan.
I re-booted the Livebox and immediately got over 2Mbps download and 0.8Mbps upload. The difference, the server had moved from Perpignan to Marseille.
After conducting another Ookla Speedtest one hour later, the Perpignan server was back up and only the upload speed had dropped slightly.
I wonder if Orange are doing some engineering work in the area?
http://www.speedtest.net
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Smiley G wrote:I have been experiencing drops in speed from Orange. This morning, my download speed was less than 0.25Mbps and the upload speed was about half of that. The server was at Perpignan.
I re-booted the Livebox and immediately got over 2Mbps download and 0.8Mbps upload. The difference, the server had moved from Perpignan to Marseille.
After conducting another Ookla Speedtest one hour later, the Perpignan server was back up and only the upload speed had dropped slightly.
I wonder if Orange are doing some engineering work in the area?
http://www.speedtest.net
Most speed tests including Ookla simple look for the server that gives the fastest response, whether that is Perpignan or Marseille may well simply be whichever responds quickest, it doesn't mean one is down if it is not selected.

The more probable cause of your slow speed is that Orange normally has an electronic 'robot' running on most ADSL lines which if it detects errors increases the allowable level of noise on the line and decreases the speed. Powering the live box off and back on resets the speed until the next time the robot slows you down.

You can see this condition on your Livebox by logging in and looking at the DSL speed settings, if these reduce over time then there is a fault on your line and you should notify Orange of the reduced speed.