Internet speeds

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Internet speeds

Post by NigelS »

We're thinking of moving to the PO and we have an internet-based business. What kind of download speeds (Mgb/s) can you get, especially in the more mountainous areas? Which are the best providers?
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

2 mb/s is the 'norm' outside the bigger towns......and Orange seems to be Flavour of the Month......
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks

Post by NigelS »

Thanks for that Montgolfiere, is there any talk of fibre?
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Internet speed is very location dependent. For instance, even 10 years ago, I was able to get 8 Mbps. Today, there's plenty of talk about fibre. This link to Orange will give you an idea of the kind of packages available
http://abonnez-vous.orange.fr/residenti ... VDSL2.aspx
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks

Post by NigelS »

Thanks Helen. The link is great because we're also looking for cheap international calls - 2 birds with one stone!
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Most International Calls (realistically to anywhere that matters!!!) to Lanlines, are free, with the 'standard' internet packages fromm the likes of Orange, Free, Boogies, SFR etc.
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks

Post by NigelS »

Great, thanks Montgolfiere
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

In Saint Marsal, at the top of one mountain, I always got 6. Now on another mountain in Saint Lairent de Cerdans, I only get 2 on a good day. I run an Internet business and will probably install Internet by satellite.

Pearson
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks

Post by NigelS »

Thanks Pearsponb. Yes, my wife has an internet business so this is pretty crucial. What do you know about service reliability (weather dependence) for satellite in the PO?
QB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by QB »

Hi

I have a house in Eus nr Prades. I had a Tooway satellite-based internet service for several years and it was very reliable. I only suffered a weather related loss of service once after my dish was blown out of alignment by strong winds. On average, I got 15mbps download and 5mbps upload. The downside is that satellite is eye wateringly expensive, my package had a 13Gb rolling data cap and latency makes it impossible to use VOIP or Skype calling.

I now have a landline via UK Telecom. My download speed averages 6.5mbps so iPlayer, Netflix, etc. works like a dream. I get free calls to landlines almost worldwide. Calls to mobiles in the US and Canada are free. Calls to FR mobiles are 22c/min, calls to UK mobile are 31c/min and calls to other EU mobiles are between 30c to 40c/min.

Hope that this helps.
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NigelS »

That's really very helpful - especially that Satellite isn't good for Skyping - which we'll need to do a lot of.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

You can do a quick check on any address in France to see what internet speed you should be able to get:

http://www.ariase.com/demenagement/test-adresse.html

Russell.
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NigelS »

That's great - thanks Russell
Geoman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geoman »

We are up in the mountains in Montferrer & can get around 15 Mbps most of the time even though we only pay for 8. It only really goes down in the storms, & for some strange reason Sunday evenings seem to be a bit slow.
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Internet speeds

Post by NigelS »

Is that a satellite-based internet, Geoman?
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

internet speed Orange

Post by jethro »

Various internet speed testing services tell me that I am only achieving at best 1.7 mbps, while Ariase says that I should be getting over 6 in Sorede. This makes for a lot of buffering on the G Box with Kodi and XBMC, and Orange have the cheek to include unusable tv in my offer, at 42 euros a month. Repeated phone calls to assistance technique result in lying promises of a technician calling to the house to check my line. I waited in all day Monday for a promised visit and got none. Given the prevalence of copper in the lines and the fact that optical fibre is only known in the big towns, how does UKTV achieve its high download speeds ? And do I have to pay résiliation fees to Orange if I go that way ? I thought Europe had outlawed that scam ?
an' the wun' cried Mary.
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Satbloke66 »

I know it doesn't help you, but I live in Sorede and I get 17mbps
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I dont understand your comment 'how does UKTV acheive its high download speeds'. Please elaborate.

Generally, if your location is restricted to in your case 1,7mbs, then no other ADSL provider will increase this speed. (It is down to location (distance from the 'exchange') and the quality of the infrastructure etc.)
It does however sound like you should be getting' more speeed...... especially as it appears that 17mbs is available in the same village.....

I dont imagine there is anyway out of the rip-off 'Resiliation fees'......
Geoman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geoman »

No it line based & supplied by orange. Does go down in the storms but that can't be helped.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

You say that ariase quote you a certain speed "in Sorede".That doesn't make much sense unless you have checked the characteristics of your particular line (which can be done eg here - http://www.degrouptest.com/ - though also on ariase, from memery). As has been said, it depends on yr distance from the exchange, and to a lesser degree on the guage of the wires.

As has also been said, if you are anywhere near the theoretical maximum, there is no point jobbing between providers: they all use the same wires for the "local loop", and that is bound to be the limiting factor at the sort of speeds you are quoting.

if you are below par for the theoretical capacity of your line, you might as well stick with Orange to fix it; they own the wires.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Connect to your Livebox and look at the system information for DSL that will show you the speed your router has negotiated. If it is substantially less than group test suggests then there is probably a fault on the line.

If it is a lot higher than the speed test shows then the problem may be with your network and nothing to do with France Telecom
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

I've just had to re-boot my Livebox (slow and poor wi-fi signal) and noticed an immediate improvement to 2.12Mbps download and 0.85Mbps upload although the Orange server had changed from Perpignan to Marseille.
This seems to happen a lot. Are Orange re-working the Perpignan server (old-linux.com)?
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

By contacting Free yesterday as my normal 2mbs supply seemed low at 1.3mb/s......
they have managed to increase my speed to just under 9mb/s today and for the future.........
shame they had to wait for me to contact them, rather than just 'do it'!!!!!!
kenny
Rank 3
Rank 3

Poor wifi speeds

Post by kenny »

Poor wifi speeds, can be caused by a poor BB supplier supplied modem/router

test using a cabled connection, cat5e, from the lan port on router to your laptop/desktop (rj45 port)

if you are getting close to what you pay for , the BB provider has fulfilled their obligations, and you may benefit from an additional wifi router (dual band 802.ac). tp link archer c7, c8 etc

if you aren't, call the BB provider
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I noted a speed drop from 8 Mb/s to 6 Mb/s and significant packet losses so I called SFR. They said," Oh, yes I can see your problem. We'll reset your router and that will fix it.". They went ahead and reset my router without asking. It lost my password to get into it as well as my DynDNS and port forwarding settings. It took me about an hour to find the correct settings again and set it up!

The moral is, before calling them make a note of all your settings.

Incidentally, it made no improvement to the speed at all.

Russell.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Internet Speed

Post by Lanark Lass »

I Live in St Andre and have noticed a significant drop in line speed over the last 10 days or so. My speed has dropped from 1.5 to 0.4.

Has anyone else in the surrounding area noticed a drop like this e.g. Sorede,Palau,St Genis as well as St Andre itself?
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I just switched from SFR to Orange. With SFR I got 8 Mbps which I was happy with but with Orange I get a steady 12 Mbps
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

We have had much the same as you Lanark Lass, this morning being particularly abysmal, as you say
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

neil mitchell wrote:I just switched from SFR to Orange. With SFR I got 8 Mbps which I was happy with but with Orange I get a steady 12 Mbps
I was considering switching from SFR to Orange but when I enquired at the Orange shop they told me I could be without internet for up to 15 days while they made the changes. No telephone, UK television, email, etc., no thanks!

Russell.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

They said that to me and it took 48 hours