Astra 2g

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Astra 2g

Post by montgolfiere »

The Third and final replacement Satellite 2g is now in position. The 'BIG' Question is whether the (Mainly) Sky Channels that are currently broadcast in a wide Beam will be now Broadcast with similar 'Small Footprint' to the UK TV output from 2e and 2f when they are moved to this new Satellite.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I am not sure if that is a big (or even serious) question. None of the Sky channels on Astra 2E and 2F use the UK spot beam so I can't see them changing now.

There has always been a UK beam and a European beam from Astra 28.2, the only difference is that the old UK beam was much wider. Sky has always used the European beam.

The channels on Eutelsat 28A are mostly religious or lifestyle so I don't suppose many people would notice if they vanished altogether.

I understand that some of the FTA channels may also move to 2G which could improve reception or make it worse - only time will tell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I was referring to the Sky Channels not the UK FTA output such as the BBC ITV Etc. Would Sky dare to restrict their pay for offerings on a Narow Beam?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:I was referring to the Sky Channels not the UK FTA output such as the BBC ITV Etc. Would Sky dare to restrict their pay for offerings on a Narow Beam?
So was I, perhaps you should read all of a post before replying
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

deleted.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:going back to my original post...... the question is what will happen to the Sky Pay Channels when they are moved to 2g. this is a big deal for many expats even further South than us.....who have already lost the likes of the BBC etc.....
Once again, I have answered your original post - shall I try again -

I am not sure if that is a big (or even serious) question. None of the Sky channels on Astra 2E and 2F use the UK spot beam so I can't see them changing now.

There has always been a UK beam and a European beam from Astra 28.2, the only difference is that the old UK beam was much wider. Sky has always used the European beam.

The channels on Eutelsat 28A are mostly religious or lifestyle so I don't suppose many people would notice if they vanished altogether.

I understand that some of the FTA channels may also move to 2G which could improve reception or make it worse - only time will tell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The only question i am raising is if, the Sky Pay Channels that move to 2g, will be on the narrow beam or will be on a wide European beam.You seem to have read your own agenda into my original pist that actually i wasn't .
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:The only question i am raising is if, the Sky Pay Channels that move to 2g, will be on the narrow beam or will be on a wide European beam.You seem to have read your own agenda into my original pist that actually i wasn't .
One or other of us is being particularly obtuse here so I will try again

I do not think Sky will move any of their PPV channels to the UK beam.

There has always been a UK beam, even before 2f and 2g and Sky never used it for any of their channels.

Most of Sky's channels are already on 2e or 2f and they are not on the UK beam.

I do not think it is a big question at all, I don't think that Sky is about to abandon the practice of the last 10 years
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I seems you are the one posing the problems... i simply posed a thought on to what may happen when 2g comes in to service....Very glad to have Your Opinion. Hence my asking the original question!!!

All i was raising were the concerns of many people who rely on the Sky wide beam who are concerned as to what will happen when 2g goes live... i certainly was not tryiing to start any hostile argument.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

copy pasted from another website....

ASTRA 2G TO BE SWITCHED ON TONIGHT, ITV MOVES IMMINENT
Previously-accurate reports from a TV industry source are indicating that a number of channels will be moved overnight to Astra 2G, which arrived at its permanent orbital slot earlier this week.
The channels affected, which are currently on Europe-wide beams, include BT Sport 1 & 2 HD, Animal Planet, LBC Radio and Heart Radio. If the previous 28A switching pattern is repeated, they will go the UK-only beam, leading to loss of signal in eastern and southern Europe.
The remaining Eurobird 28A channels will be switched, probably to 2G, by the end of the month.
It also looks as though a number of ITV channels will also be moved in the small hours of the 18th. June. Changes are normally made between 1 and 3 am.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The relative positions of the 3 satellites in relation to 28,2e appears to be the reason behind the various Reception issues. The actual difference between 2e and 2g is 0.4 with 2f in the middle. Of course where the signal is strong this is not an issue as a Dish can cope with this variation. The Size of dish also affects how it receives such variations with the larger the Dish the more acurately it has to point and therefore they are less able to cope with these position issues. Therefore in a weak signal area like our Region, it may be neccesary to decide which of the 2 positions, (2e or 2g), to maximise reception with the other therefore suffering a little.
FYi..... In the Past the old Satellite 'Cluster' had a 0,3 degree 'Spread', but with the stronger Signal this did not pose a great problem, but was, even then, noticeable.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

more on the Satellite Locations...

From N2YO:

then 2G is the furthest West from 2E being at 27,83°E. 2F is at 28,15°E and 2E at 28,35°E.

There is also a difference in elevation; 2E and 2F are at 39,1° whilst 2G is at 39,2°
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:more on the Satellite Locations...

From N2YO:

then 2G is the furthest West from 2E being at 27,83°E. 2F is at 28,15°E and 2E at 28,35°E.

There is also a difference in elevation; 2E and 2F are at 39,1° whilst 2G is at 39,2°
What point are you trying to make? Satellites continually move around within defined limits, the figures you quote are where they were at a moment in time, not where they are now or where they will be tomorrow
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Before the changes in 2013, UK TV came from 2 Satellites (Nominally) 0,3 degrees apart. Even then with the strong Signal on 80cm Dishes this distance apart did require factoring in when setting up the Dishes.
If the new 2e, 2f & 2g Cluster stays over 0,4 dgerees apart then with the larger say 110 -150 dishes used in the Region, setting up to maximise reception from them all becomes more difficult as the larger the Dish the less 'variation' it can cope with.
It may therefore be prudent to set up on the Satellite with the most channels of interest to the particular Household.
However 2g is newly positioned so may in the end be brought closer to the 'middle' 28.2e.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:Before the changes in 2013, UK TV came from 2 Satellites (Nominally) 0,3 degrees apart. Even then with the strong Signal on 80cm Dishes this distance apart did require factoring in when setting up the Dishes.
If the new 2e, 2f & 2g Cluster stays over 0,4 dgerees apart then with the larger say 110 -150 dishes used in the Region, setting up to maximise reception from them all becomes more difficult as the larger the Dish the less 'variation' it can cope with.
It may therefore be prudent to set up on the Satellite with the most channels of interest to the particular Household.
However 2g is newly positioned so may in the end be brought closer to the 'middle' 28.2e.
I see what you are trying to say but you can't base a judgment on where the satellites happened to be at a moment in time, earlier this evening all 3 were less than 0.2 degrees apart so if you had looked at the data then you would have had to draw a different conclusion

I am however interested in your comment that larger dishes cope less with variation. I have seen this written before but never with any facts to justify it. I could understand if you simply used an LNB designed for a small dish but all the physics and maths that I know would suggest that as long as the feed horn/LNB is matched to the dish then the size of the dish would make no difference. I would be enthusiastic to hear a technical explanation of your comment.

Apologies to all who are bored by endless satellite discussions but some of us (well 2 anyway) are genuinely interested.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

with reference to Allan's report that the Satellites have moved closer together.... especially 2g.....and this has coincided with better reception over the past 24 hours!!!
Today the Channel 5 Group (now on 2g) are giving much better Reception than has been possible since they were moved.
The important point is as to how the 'Average' Spread in the Sky works out..... To my mind anything more that 0,3 degrees could well pose problems out here on the Fringes.... especially if the is also a slight variation in Alitude, This was measured the other day at a 0,1 Degree Difference between 2g and the others.
There was already the ability to Biase either 2f or 2e for better reception with minute Skew adjustments before (if required).