low bandwidth tv solutions??

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

lp66
Rank 0
Rank 0

low bandwidth tv solutions??

Post by lp66 »

We have a sky dish so can get plenty of tv channels, but not the ones I want!! picky I know but I would like to watch/listen to the BBC every now and again. The problem is that we have very limited bandwidth - 1.5mbs at best - and so the usual internet solutions aren't practical for us and wondered if anyone in a similar situation had found a solution, or could suggest anything...

I'd be very grateful for any advice
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Have a look at the Intelsat 907 option.....you will need a 100cms dish for good reception and a box. ( about £100) ..you will get BBC 1 2 3 4 ITV 1 C4...there are downsides as the signal is encrypted ( but codes easily found) and you don't get Prog guide...no regional BBC 1 Progs only London....but for me works well
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I use an IPTV company called UKExPattv. They have their channels in Standard Definition but also have the BBCs and ITV in High Definition and Low Bandwith. I looked at BBC1 on the low bandwith and it isn't perfect but pefectly watchable. They claim to be able to deliver SD on 1.5Mbs so you might even get that. I have tried the HD which requires 4Mbs but it isn't really hugely better than SD so I stay with that even though we get a reliable 7Mbs.
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

If you use the BBC iplayer, you can record programmes locally and then play them back later. That allows you to have good quality output.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

TVPlayer (www.tvplayer.com) gives you various streams for each channel from 208 kb/s to 2503 kb/s and will automatically select the highest definition stream that will work for you. Should work OK on your 1500 kb/s connection. You will need a VPN as it is UK only.

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: low bandwidth tv solutions??

Post by Allan »

lp66 wrote:We have a sky dish so can get plenty of tv channels, but not the ones I want!! picky I know but I would like to watch/listen to the BBC every now and again. The problem is that we have very limited bandwidth - 1.5mbs at best - and so the usual internet solutions aren't practical for us and wondered if anyone in a similar situation had found a solution, or could suggest anything...

I'd be very grateful for any advice
If you have a subscription with Sky then you can use Sky On Demand to download most BBC and ITV programs and then watch them after they have downloaded - you will need a Smart DNS or VPN. it works happily with low bandwidth connections
lp66
Rank 0
Rank 0

thanks!

Post by lp66 »

thanks for all your suggestions - will have a look into them and hopefully find a solution.