Some remaining channels on Astra 1N are disappearing

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Some remaining channels on Astra 1N are disappearing

Post by Smiley G »

When FilmOn is playing up, we revert to our old faithful PMB box which still picks up Astra 1N.
I notice last night that some channels are no longer there. Does anyone know if 1N is being taken out of service?
Also, is there an alternative to FilmOn? When FilmOn is buffering/freezing we get perfect reception on our MacBook Air using Firefox with anonymox 2.4.7 which gives us a U.K. IP address. We can watch live UKTV using BBC iPlayer, ITV Player etc.
Ideally, we want to use our iPad with BBC iPlayer etc. loaded on and connect it directly to our TV via the Apple AV adaptor and an HDMI cable.
Which is the best and cost-efficient way to mask our French IP address? Allan has mentioned Overplay/DNS routes but I'm not sure which option is best for an Apple iPad and a download speed of 2.06Mbps maximum via Orange.
We don't mind a small monthly fee provided it works. The 4 BBC channels, 4 ITV Channels and Channel 4 OD list would satisfy our needs.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Some remaining channels on Astra 1N are disappearing

Post by Allan »

Smiley G wrote:When FilmOn is playing up, we revert to our old faithful PMB box which still picks up Astra 1N.
I notice last night that some channels are no longer there. Does anyone know if 1N is being taken out of service?
Also, is there an alternative to FilmOn? When FilmOn is buffering/freezing we get perfect reception on our MacBook Air using Firefox with anonymox 2.4.7 which gives us a U.K. IP address. We can watch live UKTV using BBC iPlayer, ITV Player etc.
Ideally, we want to use our iPad with BBC iPlayer etc. loaded on and connect it directly to our TV via the Apple AV adaptor and an HDMI cable.
Which is the best and cost-efficient way to mask our French IP address? Allan has mentioned Overplay/DNS routes but I'm not sure which option is best for an Apple iPad and a download speed of 2.06Mbps maximum via Orange.
We don't mind a small monthly fee provided it works. The 4 BBC channels, 4 ITV Channels and Channel 4 OD list would satisfy our needs.
The two techniques are SmartDNS and VPN for iPlayer etc., of the two SmartDNS is the easiest to use.

I recommend www.overplay.net.

You can subscribe online at 4.95 USD a month (about 4€60)

A good explanation of how to set it up is here http://support.overplay.net/customer/po ... rt-dns-ios

SmartDNS does not mask your iP address, it simply routes traffic to certain sites through a UK based proxy, so non-TV sites are unaffected.

If your internet is via Orange then your iP address will change regularly requiring you to log in again to Overplay

Overplay also offer a service that uses a VPN to the UK at 9.95USD that includes the smart DNS service. All of your network traffic is then routed through the VPN. They offer an automatic setup so there is nothing technical about using it.

One of my connections is via Orange and I have just tried the various services, BBC and ITV worked fine on live and catchup. All 4 (the new channel 4 app) worked on catchup but not live and Demand 5 struggled.

If everything works on your MacBook then have you considered running Plex on it, There are Plex channels for Filmon and BBC iPlayer. You could then watch them on your TV using your iPad and cable with the Plex iPad client, or you could use a $9.99 Now TV box and leave the iPad out of it altogether.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

UKTV without Satellite

Post by Boomshanka »

Hi

We are about to launch a system that allows you to watch all your UKTV favorites and much more on your TV without the need of computers or dishes etc. WITH NO SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR TV VIEWING EVER.

Everything will be on the system inc BBC iplayer, ITV Player, 4OD etc and full catch up TV as well as all the rpeimium content such as Sky Sports, movies etc. Bein Sports, CTH, Fox. Box sets, Movies in DVD, Blue Ray and 3D. The list just goes on and on.

Everything will be plug and play and we support the software etc for life. We also include 1 years VPN so all UK TV can be watched without any problems.

It is the best of the best with 4K UHD 3D etc all onboard. Can't give you our company name yet as we have not yet placed an ad with the Anglophone-Direct team but it is coming soon. We are a French registered company based in the Languedoc. The unit will cost less than €300 so cheaper than a large dish!

Message me for more information, glad to help.
Many thanks
Last edited by Boomshanka on Thu 30 Apr 2015 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: UKTV without Satellite

Post by martyn94 »

Boomshanka wrote:Hi

We are about to launch a system that allows you to watch all your UKTV favorites and much more on your TV without the need of computers or dishes etc. WITH NO SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR TV VIEWING EVER.

Everything will be on the system inc BBC iplayer, ITV Player, 4OD etc and full catch up TV

Everything will be plug and play and we support the software etc for life. We also include 1 years VPN so all UK TV can be watched without any problems.

It is the best of the best with 4K UHD 3D etc all onboard. Can't give you our company name yet as we have not yet placed an ad with the Anglophone-Direct team but it is coming soon. We are a French registered company based in the Languedoc. The unit will cost less than €300 so cheaper than a large dish!

Message me for more information, glad to help.
Many thanks
Less than €300? Stone me.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I'll have two!!
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

If the signal remains as strong this month as last month this should indicate a permament small increase in the footprint size and we will all be able to use (the much less expensive) Dishes between 120 and 100 in the region..... watch this space... for further info...
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

after a few days of low 2f signal there appears to have been a recovery today.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:after a few days of low 2f signal there appears to have been a recovery today.
Which channels are you measuring?

I think your expectations of using small dishes are unfounded. ITV HD has been unwatchable in the evening for some time now. ITV plus 1 has also had problems
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I have no expectations.Just observations.... up until this week the signal had actually remined a lot stronger thru April than i was expecting. However this drop in May does vindicate the caution on what size dish to install i have suggested in all my posts. I personally have been waiting until at least the end of May 2015 to see if the patterns of the past 2 Springs would happen this time around.
My own thoughts are that actually the footproint has been widened a touch to help reception up on the Fringes of the UK/Eire and possibly the Dish size contours have moved maybe 20 Kms. South.
Going back to what options people have depend partly on location, situation, expectation and finances. In the end quite a few people are opting for the dual approach. ie a smaller dish with the likes of IPTV or iplayer etc as back up
for when the signal is down.
Many people also are happy to have a smaller Dish and only receive the SD Channels.......
My aim is to be able to advise people on what they can expect in any location at any time of the year, with what Dish Size equipment etc.

I have preferred to put my Business on Hold for the past 10 months or so rather than either install too small dishes or indeed too large and very expensive Kit. But hope to be 'Back in Business' sometime in the next month or two.
Last edited by montgolfiere on Fri 08 May 2015 16:30, edited 4 times in total.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Allan wrote:
montgolfiere wrote:after a few days of low 2f signal there appears to have been a recovery today.
Which channels are you measuring?

I think your expectations of using small dishes are unfounded. ITV HD has been unwatchable in the evening for some time now. ITV plus 1 has also had problems
the main ones i monitored this week were SD and.....

the 2f channels
eg. the Channel5's and their +1's.
4/7
ITV1 East Midlands
and Yorkshire ITV 1+1
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:I have no expectations.Just observations.... up until this week the signal had actually remined a lot stronger thru April than i was expecting. However this drop in May does vindicate the caution on what size dish to install i have suggested in all my posts. I personally have been waiting until at least the end of the month to see if the patterns of the past 2 Springs would happen this time around.
My own thoughts are that actually the footproint has been widened a touch to help reception up on the Fringes of the UK/Eire and possibly the Dish size contours have moved maybe 20 Kms. South.
Going back to what options people have depend partly on location, situation, expectation and finances. In the end quite a few people are opting for the dual approach. ie a smaller dish with the likes of IPTV or iplayer etc as back up
for when the signal is down.
Many people also are happy to have a smaller Dish and only receive the SD Channels.......
My aim is to be able to advise people on what they can expect in any location at any time of the year, with what Dish Size equipment etc.

I have preferred to put my Business on Hold for the past 10 months or so rather than either advise on too small dishes or indeed to install too large and very expensive Kit. But hope to be 'Back in Business' sometime in the next month or too.

It's all very well to say that your own thoughts are that the footprint has widened but unfortunately they are just your own thoughts without any scientific substance behind them.

I have seen lots of explanations proposed as to why the signal has dropped off in the last 2 years during the summer months but they are all just theories (someone else's own thoughts).

Unfortunately the only people who actually know what is happening are SES and they aren't saying or indicating whether this will be a regular pattern or just adjustments during a settling in period.

Under normal circumstances you would expect better reception during the summer months with the associated clearer air. My own thoughts are that recognising this, SES simply turn the power down in the summer months but as I said these are my own thoughts and like all the theories have no basis in known fact.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

It is unfortunate that SES keep themselves to themselves. But they are only interested in the Target Signal area...... which is understandable i suppose.
All us 'mere mortals' can do is observe and try and offer what little 'expertise' we might have, to help everyone at least have access to the TV we want to watch.
But then i suppose there is a lot of 'Hot Air' in Summer isn't there!!!!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I know it's off-topic, but what are they broadcasting that makes any of this worthwhile agonising over?

I have multiple ways of getting UK tv on a proper tv in more-or-less adequate quality and at modest expense. But almost entirely, in retrospect, because I enjoy solving low-level technical puzzles - like a sort of expat's Meccano kit. Look out of the windows, guys (we always are guys) and go and do whatever we came here for.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Uk TV is a lifeline to many UK ExPats who live in the Region.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

montgolfiere wrote:Uk TV is a lifeline to many UK ExPats who live in the Region.
Lifelines are what save you from drowning. If you find that UK TV does that, maybe you should look for other supports for your life in the P-O, or simply accept that you've made a big mistake.

There was a time when "last nights' tv" was a point of common reference, eg "around the water cooler" at work, or down the pub: but those days are long gone, and even then you did not actually have to watch the stuff in order to talk bollocks about it.
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

I see a few more channels have disappeared, Sc4 (Welsh), CBS Drama, True Movies and other True Channels
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

And more will follow. satellite is now un reliable unless you spend a fortune on a huge dish etc etc. IPTV is an alternative.

Have a look at the Moochie Media advert in the directory of the main Anglophone - direct site for a fantastic alternative to satellite.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

No need to go to any subscription service. the Combination of a SUB FREE IPTV System with a moderate sized Dish works perfectly for me.
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

montgolfiere wrote:No need to go to any subscription service. the Combination of a SUB FREE IPTV System with a moderate sized Dish works perfectly for me.
Montgolfiere, you've probably answered this a dozen time's in other posts but what affect does slow internet speed have just for watching tv (not downloading films etc) with your system
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

montgolfiere wrote:No need to go to any subscription service. the Combination of a SUB FREE IPTV System with a moderate sized Dish works perfectly for me.
Is absolutely correct they is no need to pay any subscriptions at all. We offer a subscription free system with everything that a subscription service offers plus much more. for a simple one off price

We have customers who have a service of just 0.75mbs and they can still use our system without buffering on live UK TV. Might need a little pre-load for Blu Ray films but others are fine.

See the Moochie Media Ad here http://www.anglophone-direct.com/-Compu ... unication-
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Boomshanka wrote:
Is absolutely correct they is no need to pay any subscriptions at all. We offer a subscription free system with everything that a subscription service offers plus much more. for a simple one off price

We have customers who have a service of just 0.75mbs and they can still use our system without buffering on live UK TV. Might need a little pre-load for Blu Ray films but others are fine.

See the Moochie Media Ad here http://www.anglophone-direct.com/-Compu ... unication-
I am a little confused at what you are actually offering. I have just read your website and you appear to be offering an Android TV box which also runs Kodi (though your site shows the old version XBMC).

You say it is subscription free and then contradict that by saying that after the first year you need a subscription to Pure VPN.

Those of us that have been involved with TV alternatives for some time are very familiar with Android TV boxes running Kodi or XBMC and for some time now most offer options to automatically keep software up to date.

I am not knocking your offering, a well configured box might suit a lot of people but in what way is your's "revolutionary"?

I would be interested in how you justify your claims of customers running with 0.75MB - that pretty well contradicts the basic laws of physics as well being a lot less than the minimum required by many of the services that your box is configured for. I see your domain was only registered 3 weeks ago so where has this customer experience come from?

I am sure there is a market for pre-configured devices but I think over the top claims won't do you any favours.

Good luck with your venture.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Allan wrote:
Boomshanka wrote:

I am a little confused at what you are actually offering. I have just read your website and you appear to be offering an Android TV box which also runs Kodi (though your site shows the old version XBMC).

You say it is subscription free and then contradict that by saying that after the first year you need a subscription to Pure VPN.

Those of us that have been involved with TV alternatives for some time are very familiar with Android TV boxes running Kodi or XBMC and for some time now most offer options to automatically keep software up to date.

I am not knocking your offering, a well configured box might suit a lot of people but in what way is your's "revolutionary"?

I would be interested in how you justify your claims of customers running with 0.75MB - that pretty well contradicts the basic laws of physics as well being a lot less than the minimum required by many of the services that your box is configured for. I see your domain was only registered 3 weeks ago so where has this customer experience come from?

I am sure there is a market for pre-configured devices but I think over the top claims won't do you any favours.

Good luck with your venture.
OK Allan just to give you answers in turn - Try to keep it short.

1. Our system is a totally pre configured set up that we update and support all of the time. As you have experience of this you will know that you need a great deal of knowledge to keep up with the latest repository offerings and knowledge of how to program the unit. What we do is all of the work for the customer. We run separate apps that not only update the unit but offer a repair or total restore of the system. Addons update but systems do not.

2. Pure VPN is for BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and 4OD. At the moment these are geographically controlled so you need a VPN to use then. As someone with your knowledge will also know all of the programming from these catch up providers can be found elsewhere so you do not need to use UK catch up services but to get people used to the system we provide access to catch up in the first year so they don't miss a soap catch up. You do not need a VPN for watching any TV so it is correct in being subscription Free TV as technically you do not need a VPN at all.

3. I have customers who have this system in place who run very slow internet speeds - they are happy to give references for the services and how it works. We thoroughly test any systems before launch in to a general market place - that's good business sense

4, The Moochie Media site was launched three weeks ago, like all businesses you research your products before you invest in a new company or launch so what seems to be your issues there??

I had a previous company offering MAG boxes and subscription IPTV services. We felt it was better to research solutions for customers that had more content but no long term costs. We believe in supporting our fellow expats not ripping them off like so many other IPTV & Sky satellite companies.

The revolution we talk about is providing the best products, service and support to our customers. Totally update all of the time without any effort on the customers part. Jargon free and easy. I think that is fair to say.
Not everyone has time to sit and learn how to program a TV system and then back it up via independent servers. Most people want to enjoy the areas good weather not learn about repo's etc.

What we offer will not meet everyone's needs but we are helping so many people that can no longer get TV easily as they have lost the satellite signal. A low cost solution. In fact we stand by all of our claims to the point that if anyone buys a box and they are not happy with it within the first 7 days, they return it for a full no questions asked refund.

Hope this answers you questions.

Cheers

Andrew
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've been following internet TV for a number of years too and I'm deeply suspicious of this Moochie Media offer.

Subsciption free for all Premiership football, F1, thousands of movies for free ...

But you have to pay €300 up front for some kit that costs around 50€ on Amazon.

There are a number of people selling set-top box systems to expats who don't understand the technology but a lot of them are unconvincing and have little experience themselves.

I know that not all advertisers can be checked out to the nth degree but in this case I think A-D should make some checks. Is the Siret valid for example?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

I am very intrigued by the range of content your website says will be available. There are some pretty big claims - 'every UK broadcast channel', live sports, a wide range of movies on demand and subscription free, box sets - on demand and subscription free. Then there's documentaries, kids programmes, music, other languages services. All claim to be subscription free. Really? Then what is the source of all this programming? So I went looking at your legal notice to try and shed some light.

This legal notice distances Moochie Media from any illegal activities associated with the Android TV devices we sell. We sell these devices as media players only, to stream non-copyrighted materials via Youtube , share pictures, videos and general internet surfing. Some parts of our Listing are for descriptive and illustrative purposes only

Streaming non-copyrighted material via YouTube? There's little listed in your overall programme offering which is copyright free.

You then go on to distance yourself even further from copyright issues with:
Due to the nature of this item, we are not responsible for the content streamed to it and neither do we condone piracy so you must satisfy yourself that either you or the sites accessed for streaming have the copyright agreements in place and are entitled to access this content.
Incidentally, on a technical note, the legal notice also states:

We recommend a minimum broadband speed of 2mbs for standard SD content.
I'm afraid I just don't 'get' your content offering. You offer much, but appear to take responsibility for none of it.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Welcome to the world of legal litigation and unfortunately we live in a claim culture especially here in France.

So back to basics; we as a company provide technology that can access streaming services. We do not own or control the content that you choose to watch on the system.

All content is provided by third party open source providers and not by us we supply technology that can access it.

To keep it simple its a bit like having a computer/laptop, you can access anything from it but the company that supplies it cannot and does not take responsibilities for the individuals actions. You should read the terms con when you install software as all of the terms in our are the same as what has already been agreed to when you have purchased any device connected to the internet. You know, the ones none of us bother to read when we just click accept and install.

If you decided that you want to watch or access illegal materials we cannot be held in anyway responsible for that as we do not control what comes in to the box and what you do in the privacy of your own home. Hence we state that you must be satisfied. We don't control YouTube or any other provider.
We just sell technology like other providers such as Dell, Apple etc.

As we said in our earlier response this will not be for everyone but will be good for many. No one is forcing you or anyone to buy anything or do anything. it is purely your choice. We have done and continue to turn customers away if we fell it in not right for them.

Unlike many IPTV companies we are fully registered here in France and legally stand by our guarantees

Do hope this helps you understand why all businesses have to cover ourselves to the fullest extent.

Andrew
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Sorry forgot to say that 2mbs is as we state RECOMMENDED not required.

These two had different meanings when i was at school.

Recommended - To praise or commend to another as being worthy or desirable

Required - Needed, essential

There are some issues when watching using a sub 2mbs service but it is possible.

That is why we offer a 7 day full money back guarantee on any purchase. You can watch live TV but watching a 1080p blu ray movie would not really be practical at low speeds

Hence a RECOMMENDATION for 2mbs but not a REQUIRED TO HAVE.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Our set-up is working perfectly after we re-sited the Orange Sagem Livebox 2.
I can only speak for Apple products but to repeat a post of ours elsewhere;
We use an Apple iPad Mini with the FilmOn Lite application (from the App. Store)
Our iPad mini is connected to the TV via an Apple AV Lightning adaptor and an HDMI cable.
I suppose the two connected makes a "Smart TV?"
Anyway, with a top download speed of just over 2Mbps, we don't have ANY problems with the SD service.
So if you have a spare iPad you just need to buy an adaptor and an HDMI cable and you're up an running.
If FilmOn were to stop streaming UKTV, then that would present another challenge.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I expect it works pretty much the same way as it is described but it is nonetheless a racket, just like all iptv services. This one does seem much more dodgy than most though. I use an iptv service, it's pretty reliable and the quality is reasonable. It takes a monthly subscription which is ok but there was very little upfront cost. That means when they go bankrupt, get shut down or just lose interest I haven't lost anything and I can just get my box onto another provider. This seems to me that you pay Eur300 and hope that they stay operating long enough to get your moneys worth.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

If you cut through all the hype, what seems to be on offer is an Android TV box with XBMC (KODI) pre-installed, along with a year's subscription to a VPN.

The channels and content are no different from those available on pretty well any Android/XBMC and will be subject to the same bandwidth restrictions that apply elsewhere.

If you were to buy the kit and the VPN subscription, you would probably pay around 200€ so for an extra 99€ they are offering unlimited support which isn't a bad deal as long as they can fulfill their obligations.

Unfortunately all of the absurd claims easily destroy confidence and the willingness to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Hi Allan and Neil

Sorry for the delay, been out installing 6 new customers today - All very happy with the quality and service. And purely for Allan's info we speed tested one of the customers and they had 0.86mbs and watched live TV with no issues. How much more scientific do you want it.

If you want the basics then yes we use an Android box but we run extra backroom Linux coding as well, Allan will understand as he seems to be the resident expert.

We also support the box software all of the time including all software updating (this is different to Addon updating) We also have a complete new build taking parts of the new Kodi platform but not all of it as the best Kodi version is still in Beta format, but i will not bore you all with more technical details this is being launched in two weeks time for FREE TO OUR CUSTOMERS.

To put it really in simple English "we do all the hard work in setting everything up to make it easier for people who do not want to have a knowledge or understanding of the software or platform"

Monthly payments for IPTV. There are Three main suppliers NTV, RuYA and Futubox. All suppliers buy from them in some for or another. You are tied to one supplier. They get the supply from the same places as we give to you for Free. If it goes down then that's you lot. We have many sources given to you for the same programming so if one disappears more are available, that is what it is like with open source programming (Ubuntu, Libre etc).
You do not pay for the content so why keep paying month on month. Neil you will have a MAG Box 250/254 which is the standard. I know this because i used to sell these before the newer better fairer offerings that we now have.

So at the end of the day you can slag off what we and others are doing or offer up a solution for people rather than putting everyone down for trying.

We do try to help people get what they need, we are guaranteed and we stand by that under French law we even show our Siret numbers most won't even bother or don't have one.

Why not sell the public "Your Android box with Kodi on it" i'm sure you can give them a community build and a cheap A9 processor box.

You do not need to believe what we say just as you do not have to try/buy what we offer. It will be good for some and not for others. Some want to have a space station seeking dish others don't - its called freedom of choice.

I am more than happy to say what we do and offer technical advice but i do not wish to be part of this childish he said, she said, they said.

Either put up something for people to utilize or not, that's all i or anyone else on this forum asks.