Satellite tv

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

kilnadeemaeast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Satellite tv

Post by kilnadeemaeast »

has anyone got a signal for Freesat in St Cyprien Plage? Is so, what dish size?
Ellen
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

on Data from the past 13 months....a 150cm. Top Quality Dish (eg. Gibertini with Feedhorn LNB) is the minimum suggested size to give reception throughoiut the year.
kilnadeemaeast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kilnadeemaeast »

many thanks
Ellen
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Getting excellent signal at Villelongue dels Monts from a 120cms dish
kilnadeemaeast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kilnadeemaeast »

I shall cross my fingers that I get something. Many thanks for your reply, Ellen
Ellen
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Nigel wrote:Getting excellent signal at Villelongue dels Monts from a 120cms dish
The problem coukld be that the Signal may well drop during April/May / June / JUly August as 2f did in 2013 and 2014 and 2e did in 2014. It would be nice if this doesn't happen this year but using what Data we have, a 150 is still the Min Size that can be advised south of Perps.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Indeed we shall see what happens ...but my Freesat system is backed up by Intelsat 907 which has limits but is available for outages of Freesat
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I use a FTA Android IPTV System to back up our Satellite here. Even with a lowly 2 mb internet connection it is a good Reserve.
kilnadeemaeast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kilnadeemaeast »

many thanks for all the replies and information
Ellen
Ellen
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

150 cms dish

Post by rhys »

How much does a 150 cms dish cost ? dish itself plus installation costs ?

And how does that work in terms of high winds and such ?

Are there dishes which are mesh so the wind blows through them and does not twist them out of alignment ?

Or do they have to be concreted into a solid base in the ground ? Or how are they installed ??
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Intelsat 907 only requires a 100cm dish
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: 150 cms dish

Post by Allan »

rhys wrote:How much does a 150 cms dish cost ? dish itself plus installation costs ?

And how does that work in terms of high winds and such ?

Are there dishes which are mesh so the wind blows through them and does not twist them out of alignment ?

Or do they have to be concreted into a solid base in the ground ? Or how are they installed ??
Rhys

I have a 150cm dish bolted to a wall and it works fine, I have had no problems with wind.

In order to receive the satellite, the dish has to point 28.2 degrees East of South which means that if it is wall mounted the wall will be between it and the prevailing winds here that blow from the North West. We also get strong winds from the South East but again a wall behind the dish will usually deflect the worst of the wind although sometimes the position of other buildings may cause problems by creating a wind funnel.

I wouldn't want to mount a big dish above the roof line on a house.

I don't think that mesh dishes are intended to reduce wind problems, it is more to make them less obtrusive - I have never seen a large mesh dish.

I have heard a lot of talk about wind problems and satellite dishes but not from people who use them or install them, obviously it pays to put a dish in the most sheltered position that you can but I think too much emphasis is placed on the regions winds.

Before installing a 150cm dish you need to find out if it is big enough. I live 10km North of Perpignan and at times my 150cm proves only barely adequate.

The perceived wisdom for the last couple of years has been that in Argeles you need at least a 180cm dish,

In recent months the signal has been stronger and some people have suggested that you can manage with a smaller dish but the signal strength has fluctuated so much over the last couple of years and there is absolutely no reason to believe that the recent levels will continue.

A 150cm would undoubtedly work in Argeles but not necessarily all of the time.