Mobile phone coverage in Spain

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Mobile phone coverage in Spain

Post by Allan »

A week or so ago we drove back from Barcelona and got no mobile phone reception all the way up the Spanish AutoRoute. Yesterday we went to lunch in Peralada and had the same problem.

The problem was on my wife's phone as well as mine, we both use Free as the mobile provider. The same phones worked with the same settings in Thailand so I don't think it is a set up problem.

I can accept that there are areas with no coverage but not 200km of AutoRoute.

Any one else experienced this?
Davidsimon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Davidsimon »

Could be a problem between providers.I have a Movistar in Spain and can sit looking at a phone with full signal,yet my UK Vodaphone in the other hand shows no signal.Maybe no reciprocal agreement between Free and Movistar or An other
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

Patrick Knoo posted about this on the PO Facebook page. I forget the result but it may be worth asking, I'm sure someone can fill you in.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Looking at a Free users forum, you're certainly not alone in experiencing the problem.

It looks as if Free hasn't got agreements in place yet with all Spanish operators. Automatic selection of a network when you're in Spain may be connecting you to a non-partner operator - there are suggestions that you need to switch to manual selection and select Movistar.

And/or it's possible you may need to accept some new terms and conditions in your Free online area, according to a few users.

One useful thread is this one http://freemobile.toosurtoo.com/forum/v ... f=7&t=5600
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I had the same experience in Spain over Xmas, and gave up and bought a Spanish (Orange Mundo) SIM. I don't think it's because I'm not fully signed up for Free roaming: it worked for me in Korea the other week (I accidentally left my phone switched on in my carry-on bag, and arrived there with a string of SMS messages relating to the various countries we passed over: "Free vous accompagne en Belgique...Allemagne...Pologne...Russie.... Mongolie (would you believe?) etc etc").

It seems to be just a hole in their coverage.