Linux experts??

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Linux experts??

Post by malcolmcooper »

I know there are some Linux devotees here and I am looking to be converted. I have done some research and thought I might go for the "Mint" version. I then read up on the installation instructions and although I thought I was a bit geeky clearly I was kidding myself. It wasn't quite Klingon but not far off.

I'm looking for someone who might be keen to make my laptop a pure Linux machine for me in exchange for the fun of it, lunch, some money or some wine or a combination of those things. My machine needs a re-build anyway so it's a good time to switch. Is anybody who knows what they're doing up for it please?
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Malcolm,

P.M. sent

Russell
frank_penny
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frank_penny »

Right up my street!

But the version of Linux you should use is LinuxLite (made for ease of use to newcomers to Linux) or Lubuntu.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

frank_penny wrote:Right up my street!

But the version of Linux you should use is LinuxLite (made for ease of use to newcomers to Linux) or Lubuntu.
I don't think it makes that much difference which distribution Malcolm uses but his suggested choice of Mint is the most popular one according to the Distrowatch rankings. All three suggested versions are based on Ubuntu so end up very similar. By choosing a popular version there will be more help available on their forum in case of problems.

Russell
frank_penny
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frank_penny »

russell wrote:
I don't think it makes that much difference which distribution Malcolm uses

Russell
Certainly the difference is not great, but the distributions I mention are good for older, less powerful machines. Also, of the multitude that I have tried, LinuxLite is the one I would choose for ease of keeping software up-to-date for anyone non-technical.
russell wrote:
his suggested choice of Mint is the most popular one according to the Distrowatch rankings.

Russell
As you may know, the Distrowach rankings only show the number of page hits for the relevant distro on the Distrowatch web site. There is no real way of knowing the popularity of any distribution.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

frank_penny wrote:LinuxLite is the one I would choose for ease of keeping software up-to-date for anyone non-technical.
Don't all three use the Synaptic Package Manager, a GUI front end for the apt-get command line tool?

Certainly updating is much less of an issue than for Windows. Unless you intend to install new software and you are happy with how your system works you don't need to update. Updating is easy and works in the background while you continue to use the computer. You don't have to wait while Windows tells you it is installing or configuring updates and you don't have to reboot.

Russell
frank_penny
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frank_penny »

russell wrote: Don't all three use the Synaptic Package Manager, a GUI front end for the apt-get command line tool?

Russell
LinuxLite uses its own front-end to make installation of most software simpler even than using the Synaptic GUI.

It also supports the GDebi Debian Package Installer, and probably the easiest installation system of all, the Ubuntu Software Center can be used.

But just to clarify things - I am not disparaging Mint. A French neighbour uses this, and because the head of the distro is a Frenchman (although he lives in Ireland) the French language support is good.

Having said that, it appeared that there were problems looming regarding the rolling out of releases with Mint, although I have not looked at it for some time now and I am probably out of date.

However, when setting up a dual boot (Win8 and Linux) for another French friend I used Lubuntu rather than LinuxLite because of the French language support in all *ubuntus.

As I said before, having installed at least 16 different Linux distros, I rate LinuxLite as the easiest for new users - just my opinion.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Would you gents mind speaking French not Double Dutch :lol:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
frank_penny
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frank_penny »

opas wrote:Would you gents mind speaking French not Double Dutch :lol:
Quite right too - computerese being used to exclude not inform!!

(But it does actually make sense to those on the inside)
pennycsf66
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pennycsf66 »

frank_penny wrote:
opas wrote:Would you gents mind speaking French not Double Dutch :lol:
Quite right too - computerese being used to exclude not inform!!

(But it does actually make sense to those on the inside)
And I have to live with frank_penny!!!!! Not easy, I can tell you BUT as f_p has been experimenting with them, I can also say that I seem to have experienced more types of Linux than you can shake a stick at these last few years. Most disconcerting :?. I currently have Linux Lite on my main computer and netbook and as I have NO computing ability it must be fairly straightforward!! :lol:
Penny
Supporting all those touched by cancer
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Many thanks for the help. Well I tried Linux yesterday. I went for Lite in the end as it made very little difference and the instructions just felt friendlier to me. All went well as I was very impressed with what I saw and got to explore and use. This morning however it started to behave oddly and crash so I reverted to a clean install of Windows 7. It then became clear that I had more than software problems.
My Dell Inspiron 1721 17" laptop has been a brilliant machine and it's now 12 years old and nothing will install properly on the failing hard drive. As I do some actual work on my machine it's time to get a new one so I've ordered again from Dell. It will come with Windows 8.1 so I'll run with that for a while. I might try to install a new hard drive in my old machine and install Linux again.
I must say I do recommend Linux to anyone who needs a new operating system. I was very impressed and had my hardware been up to it I'd have been happy to stick with it.
PS. Responding in safe mode!
PPS. Many thanks for the PM Russel.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

i have installed 'Classic Shell' on my Windows 8.1 Laptop, which makes it a lot easier for ex xp users (like myself) to 'navigate'!!!
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Run Ubuntu 14.04LTS on our internet dedicated computer. Works just fine. Only drawback not compatible with BBC iPlayer. Can be installed inside Windows using WUBI. Risk of viral infestation minimal.

Mary
frank_penny
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frank_penny »

malcolmcooper wrote: I've ordered again from Dell. It will come with Windows 8.1 so I'll run with that for a while. I might try to install a new hard drive in my old machine and install Linux again.
You can set Linux up on your Windows 8 computer in "dual boot" mode, although this needs to be done by someone experienced.

If you do, you can choose every time you switch on which "regime" you want to use.

If you do stick just with WinDoze you can still use lots of excellent, free software rather than pay MicroSoft - for example, LibreOffice for all your word processing, Spreadsheet, Presentation requirements. Use a free anti-virus such as Avast, and Firefox web browser instead of Internet Explorer.

I have, unfortunately, had to dual boot all our recent computers, because there are still companies out there who refuse to recognise Linux. The major culprit, for me, is Garmin. To update our maps for our Garmin GPS we can only use Windows or Mac, a reason for me to switch from Garmin in future if there is an alternative.

If you would like to experiment with Linux, have a look here http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/ftopic14487.php - I would be happy to bring a system to the next CSF morning at Laroque.