Gigaset 8" Android Tablet

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Gigaset 8" Android Tablet

Post by martyn94 »

I was recently seduced by Amazon.fr into buying a Gigaset QV830 - €129 less €40 rebate up to end-October if you post in the paperwork.

Gigaset used to be the cordless-phone arm of Siemens: they were spun off a few years ago. I don't suppose they had much to do with the design and manufacture of this thing, but they still have a reputation to protect.

It has the spec you might expect (except in one respect): not the best screen/fastest processor/longest battery life/latest version of Android, but entirely adequate for my purposes. It also has GPS, which my wifi-only ipad does not. It seems to work OK with the fairly basic offline facility in the latest version of Google Maps (just maps, no search or turn-by-turn). Nokia have said they will launch new iOS and android apps later this year with the works available offline: if that is any good it should be v useful.

I got it partly for the gps, and partly to have something smaller - and less heartbreaking if nicked - for when I'm out and about. But mostly out of curiosity to see how adequate a device could possibly be which costs €89 plus the price of a stamp. On brief experience, far more adequate than I expected.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Not tried it myself as I have a decent dedicated GPS but you could try "Sygic: GPS Navigation & Maps" from Google Play. It includes Tom Tom maps worldwide and the paid version gives turn by turn route instructions.

Russell.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:Not tried it myself as I have a decent dedicated GPS but you could try "Sygic: GPS Navigation & Maps" from Google Play. It includes Tom Tom maps worldwide and the paid version gives turn by turn route instructions.

Russell.
Thanks for this. It may be worth adding that there is a seven-day free trial (of the full kaboodle) which I will try tomorrow. As of now, I can attest that it can find my bedroom (in France very profonde). And from there to Paris: it says that the first leg is "off road", which is fair enough.

The map files are big, obviously, but more of a challenge to my satellite internet than to the memory on the phone.
jacson33

Post by jacson33 »

igaset used to be the cordless-phone arm of Siemens: they were spun off a few years ago. I don't suppose they had much to do with the design and manufacture of this thing, but they still have a reputation to protect.