Kindle fire fox HD...some advice if possible.

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Moira
Rank 0
Rank 0

Kindle fire fox HD...some advice if possible.

Post by Moira »

Hi...Have not been in a great hurry to use a tablet for British TV ,but may want to do so in Autumn.
There are sooo many choices and I'm concerned that what may be excellent in UK may not work here.
I'm attracted to the Kindle which has the Mayday help button.
Has anyone tried one here?
How good is it for helping get UK TV...and is the help line button as good as they say>?
Games are not a priority but it would be great to have good email...music and photo quality.
If anyone has experience of this tablet, I would appreciate your info on tablets £500...less if possible.
Many thanks if you can help.
Moira
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

You are opening up a can of worms here :-). It is an expensive solution but I love my iPad and Apple TV.

However, to answer your question, I was just setting up British TV on a Kindle Fire yesterday. There are free apps in their store for both Filmon and the BBC Iplayer, though the latter needs a smartdns to work. The Filmon is easy to set up and the picture quality is good (which is not the case with all versions of Filmon, I gather)

Pearson
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

An iPad mini will set you back £319 in the UK or 399€ in France.
All you then need is an Apple Digital AV adaptor and an HDMI cable to hardwire your iPad to your TV set.
If you bought it all at a U.K. Apple store it would set you back £374. Apple products ARE expensive but you know when you take it out of the box that you've got a quality product.
The FilmOn App. (free) works perfectly well provided you tap the "SD" button and not the channel button. If you tap the channel name button, FilmOn thinks you want HD and asks you to subscribe.
Good luck :D
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I think there is a theme emerging here.

In my experience the iPad is vastly superior to Android tablets. The Kindle Fire may be one of the better examples but is still no match for an iPad.

I don't think I have ever met a tablet user who wouldn't rather have an iPad and would only buy an Android tablet because of its lower cost.

The Android Play Store is totally unregulated and there are some good applications but it is hard to distinguish them from the poor ones that are just trying to get your money. The Apple environment is much more regulated and tends to have much higher quality applications.

In addition to the iPad Mini, you can also buy the last model of iPad for £329 in the UK.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

It depends on which version of the Kindle fire you're looking at. The HD version is very basic and lacks cameras (which you might want for Skype), GPS, and compass and only has a dual core processor while most good tablets in that price range use a quad core and have all the other facilities. The HDX versions are more up to date but, to my mind are overpriced.

Another problem is that they are (or at least were when I last looked) restricted to the Amazon app store so you miss out on lots of good apps from the Google store. Yes some are paid and some are rubbish but there are lots of good ones as well. There is a choice of five or six Filmon apps including one specially developed by Filmon for the Lenovo tablets.

Have a look at the Lenovo range, they get good reviews. I bought one for my wife a while ago and it knocks spots off my more expensive Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Russell.
Geoman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geoman »

My android box worked well for me last few weeks, well when storms didn't affect internet needs about 1.5/2gb which we got most of the time but did have speed problems intermittently.