BBC iPlayer on Android

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

BBC iPlayer on Android

Post by russell »

I've just been setting up a new G-box Midnight and discovered that Google Play Store are restricting access to the iPlayer app. If you have searched for the BBC iPlayer in the PlayStore and not found it you can do the following:

Install a VPN such as iPortal (Overplay SmartDNS doesn't work in this instance).
Go to Settings>Apps>Google Play Store and clear the cache and force stop.
Activate your VPN and restart Google Play.
Now you can search for and install the BBC Media Player (needed by iPlayer), the BBC iPlayer, and ITV Player and they should all work with either a SmartDNS or a VPN.

Hope that helps someone.

Russell.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

It's essentially the same point as I made the other day on another thread.mSmart DNS will get you the stream of tv if you already have the app, but you can't get the app unless you have, or pretend to have, a UK IP address. As I said, if you live between here and the UK, it should be easier to set up your box with apps over there before you bring it here (and, I suppose, take it back there from time to time to update them).

If you sign up to the unotelly Smart DNS, they give you (or gave you) a short period of "free" VPN service to accomodate this sort of initial set-up.