If you don't want the expense of an Apple TV box

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

If you don't want the expense of an Apple TV box

Post by Smiley G »

Apple sell an adaptor to hard-wire an iPad or iPhone direct to your TV via an HDMI cable.
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD826 ... av-adapter
I believe you can also buy the same for the older style of connector (30 Pin) for £5 less.
My experience has been that by hard-wiring, I have had none of the usual issues when using the FilmOn App. (Freezes, Buffering and the iPad "dropping" the connection to the Apple TV box)
The price is £40 (HDMI cable not included), so it's not cheap but it works. It's ideal if you have a slower broadband connection which drops quite a lot in the evening.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: If you don't want the expense of an Apple TV box

Post by russell »

Smiley G wrote:It's ideal if you have a slower broadband connection which drops quite a lot in the evening.
Sorry but there's no way that a better connection from your tablet to the TV can compensate for a slow connection between the Filmon server and your tablet :(

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: If you don't want the expense of an Apple TV box

Post by Allan »

russell wrote:
Smiley G wrote:It's ideal if you have a slower broadband connection which drops quite a lot in the evening.
Sorry but there's no way that a better connection from your tablet to the TV can compensate for a slow connection between the Filmon server and your tablet :(

Russell.
But it can possibly compensate for a poor wifi signal as no bandwidth is taken up between the tablet and the Apple TV.

If the cable really does help then the wifi network probably needs to be improved.
Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Prosserp »

We also use an old ipod for filmon and this is connected to the tv using av/hdmi adaptor ....
The picture is great and the buffering has gone
We bought several leads from ebay and they work great they were about 8 euros each
The av lightining lead for the latest ipad etc is expensive but also works well ,,
we bought this from apple
We have tuneinradio app as well so that we can listen to any radio station in the world and we use a jbl speaker system to provide some decent sounds
Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Prosserp »

We gave up using a laptop plugged into a tv , because of the buffering
Etc
My advise would be get a cheap ipod off of ebay , if you get a 4th generation or even an earlier one then the connection lead is cheap as posted above

I have checked on ebay and there are loads of 2/3/4 generation ipod at a reasonable price