Orange ADSL via Satellite Dish

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Orange ADSL via Satellite Dish

Post by Smiley G »

Some help required here please. We're thinking of asking Orange to upgrade our Livebox Zen + telephone contract to a faster satellite connection.
Our current best download speed is 2.06 Mbps.
Our current best upload speed is 0.87 Mbps.
In the evenings this tends to drop, especially the upload speed, resulting in connection problems relating to the streaming of live U.K. television between an Apple iPad and an Apple TV box and then hence via HDMI cable to our TV.
(Basically we keep on losing the picture because of a combination of factors relating to the slow internet speeds delivered through the telephone line.
Question: Does anyone know the monthly download limit that will apply? I cannot find it on Orange's website and I want to have all the info before telephoning Orange next week.
Also, does anyone know from experience, the cost of an Orange dish and installation?
We're not particularly after Orange TV, purely internet speed. It is amazing that in 2014, a town of 10,000 inhabitants can only offer a basic ADSL service and we don't think it's much faster nearer to the exchange!
Any input gratefully received.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

The only adsl by satellite I know of from the Orange group comes from their Nordnet subsidiary: they have different data limits for different prices. You can get the same services from other suppliers. In another part of France I have Tooway service from a UK-based supplier, with the incidental advantage that it gives me a UK IP address. Though I do not use it for UK tv - the data consumption is higher than I would be prepared to pay for.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Firstly you should be aware that you cannot run a VPN effectively or SmartDNS via a satellite connection so with a French supplied satellite connection you would not be able to run BBC iPlayer, ITV player or any of the other catch up services. Filmon would still work but that's about it.

You can get a satellite connection from a UK supplier with a UK iP address which would not have these restrictions.

Some French satellite connections include a VOIP phone in the deal, you would not get this with a UK connection.

Most satellite connections have download limits - generally the maximum offered is around 50gb a month which would equate to around 2 hours TV a day at relatively low resolution.

You can get an unlimited connection via SES broadband but the speed is reduced at peak times but that probably isn't an issue.

Have a look here http://www.europasat.com/product-chooser/

Obviously its a big investment so perhaps you should focus more on your existing connection. Your upload speed is not really relevant and 2MB download is not great but should just suffice.

I have seen Airplay connections drop out before and it is often the connection between the Apple TV and the router, if it is wireless try it with a wired connection. Remember that if the iPad and the Apple TV are both wireless then you are doubling your Wi-Fi bandwidth requirement.

Have you tried downloading a program using BBC iPlayer and then playing it back, that would at least tell you if your Apple TV connection is good.

If your connection really is bad then consider changing your viewing pattern and downloading several programs at night to watch the next day.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Have you asked Orange to see if they can improve your current Internet Speed. Your 2.06 seems 'Low' to me for your area.

Someone local to me seemed to have a 'Slow' Speed for their location and after a call to Orange they managed to double it.

Internet via Satellite has 'Download Limits' which i believe may allow something like 100Hrs of SD TV Per Month...... Not very Helpful.

I have customers using (android) iptv Systems in the Argeles area without problems....

I have heard there may be a new service sometime (soon?) offering more download especially aimed at us ExPats around Europe with too slow Speeds.....I haven't any details as yet....
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Orange ADSL via Satellite Dish

Post by russell »

Smiley G wrote: In the evenings this tends to drop, especially the upload speed, resulting in connection problems relating to the streaming of live U.K. television between an Apple iPad and an Apple TV box and then hence via HDMI cable to our TV.
I'm not familiar with Apple products but surely streaming from your iPad to your AppleTV box only goes via your router. It has nothing to do with your upload speed? Are you getting a good WiFi signal at both locations? As Allan said try a wired (Ethernet) connection if the WiFi signal is poor.

I find that I have to use a wired connection to the TV in the bedroom but WiFi works fine to the living room TV even though the distances to the router are the same.

Russell.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Smiley
I use Orange too and I'm located on the Argeles side of Sorede. It's 7 kms from my house to Argeles village.

I just ran with Speedtest.net from Perp. to Lyon right now. My download speed was 7.39 and the upload speed was 0.86. The ping was 26 ms.

I cannot understand your signal will be so poor although you're not saying exactly where you live in Argeles.

Are you running this test near to the livebox is located? My test is located on the computer next to the Livebox ~ this is next to where this comes froming the wall.

I do use a wi-fi extender and ethernet extender too which does give better coverage downstairs in my home. This gives me almost the same values both upstairs and downstairs.

I almost never get any buffering during the normal internet useage. I used to have buffering from Filmon but since I gave them 99€, the buffering went away.

My computer is a Dell PC with an Intel CORE 2 Duo. It's not anything special with this desktop which would be kinda vanilla.

Orange has been good about increasing the signal on my line. Sometimes they get my line smoking around 9 m but the 7 m is pretty normal chez moi. It runs fast for a few weeks and then it drops down to the 7 mega in Sorede.

Hope that this can help sort-out your problem. Currently you're just a bit faster than McDo's Cafe system.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Have a look at your LiveBox

Enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser and you should connect to the router - the default user name is admin with a password of admin.

Then look at the settings tab and then system information - you can then see the speed your router is set to.

If you think it is too low or the noise margins are high (above 6) then call them on 0969 36 39 00 (English speaking line) and ask them to check it.

As Blackduff says, they can crank it up a bit and if the line is unstable at the new speed then it will slow down by itself.

Sometimes lines are set to a low speed to counteract a fault and never reset so it is worth checking
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

One point possibly worth checking is whether there is a condenser in your telephone circuit - probably in the first box where the phone line enters the house, but check all the sockets. They look a bit like a small block of chocolate with two wires connected across the terminals. If you find one, just remove it: in pre-adsl days they were installed to facilitate remote testing of your line, but they can reduce your internet speed quite significantly.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I have probably installed +/- 30 Android FTA IPTV Systems over the past 2 or 3 months and have had 2 occasions of them not working well even with good Download Speeds....so there are occasionally other issues with local Internet Connections.

(I always point this possibility out to potential Customers!!!)
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Thanks for all your inputs. We will contact Orange next week to assess what can be done.
We're in Port Argelès, "5,112 metres away the NRA (Network Routing Address), "ARG66" So I guess that means that we're in the wrong place and that will be that.
Our normal speeds are usually OK, but when they dip, the problems start.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
CharlesRyder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CharlesRyder »

We're in Port Argelès, "5,112 metres away the NRA (Network Routing Address), "ARG66" So I guess that means that we're in the wrong place and that will be that.
Smiley G, I think this will be the root cause of your problem, your distance from the exchange.
Broadband speeds all go slower in the evenings but I live closer to the exchange and usually get 3.5MBPS during the day and about 2.8 in the evening.