apple tv box

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

apple tv box

Post by Prosserp »

i am looking at buying an apple tv box to watch filmon via my ipad.

On ebay there are a lot of jail broken apple tv boxes running xbmc streaming
has anyone got a jail broken box and would they recommend one
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

XBMC is a media player that runs on a variety of platforms. There are XBMC add-ons for a number of TV services including Filmon.

Personally I don't see the point of buying an Apple TV to run XBMC, there are any number of Android TV boxes or TV sticks that can run XBMC, as well as a number of TV apps directly with Android. The Apple TV box has no external memory and no means to plug in external keyboards or other devices.

On the other hand, there are terrific TV apps available for an iPad and an Apple TV allows them to play wirelessly on your TV using Airplay Mirroring. Like most things Apple it just works.

I believe that only the old model Apple TV can be jail broken to run XBMC. so anything you buy would be a model that was replaced 2 years ago. With a lower screen resolution than current models.

I believe that a jailbroken Apple TV can still run Airplay mirroring but it is a point worth checking before you buy.

Jail breaking takes you out of the fold of Apple automatic updates and more into a techie arena
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

And a jail-broken old Apple TV 2 costs notably more than a new Apple TV 3 - which might be OK if you want to make a hobby out of playing with it, but pointless as Allan says if you just want to watch tv. Apple's refurbished products have always worked fine for me if you want to save a few €€€s.
Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Prosserp »

many thanks for your advice