Windows 8.1 Language Options

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

CharlesRyder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Windows 8.1 Language Options

Post by CharlesRyder »

An English friend & neighbour is about to order a Dell Inspiron 17R laptop from Dell France.
This multimedia machine will come with Windows 8.1 (version francais) as well as McAfee Security Center (version francais)
As I am an Apple customer, I'm not sure how easy (or difficult) it will be to change the system language on first boot-up or will she need to set everything up in French and then download a language pack?
Her French is OK but she would prefer to navigate around her computer in her native American English.
I think she has Windows 7 on a Sony laptop but the hardware is getting a little long in the tooth hence the desire to buy the Dell, but as she lives in France she has to order from Dell France.
Any input appreciated on her behalf.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I am about to do a similar purchase from Dell but do not want a french Model/keyboard etc.
I have have therefore decided to have mine sent to a 'Forwarding Company' (www.forward2me.com) using their 'fully insured' service which will cost around about £50, but well worth it. I have used them already and their service seems reliable.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

CharlesRyder,
Sorry I can't help but someone must have bought a laptop in France with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 in French as the native OS. Can anyone help this lady?
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

The language is easy enough to change but a French keyboard takes a bit of getting used to. However, I believe that you can order a UK laptop from Dell France which would seem to be the easiest option.

There are plenty of Dell resellers that will ship to France without the need for a forwarding company but if it turns out to be faulty then you may have warranty complications.