Filmon changing?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Filmon changing?

Post by russell »

It looks as if Filmon are considering regional restrictions on the BBC channels.

Several times lately all the BBC channels (except BBC1 N.I.) have disappeared for a short time, both on the laptop and on the IPTV boxes, when not using a VPN. Switching the VPN on has brought them back.

Anyone else noticed that?

Russell
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Filmon changing?

Post by Allan »

russell wrote:It looks as if Filmon are considering regional restrictions on the BBC channels.

Several times lately all the BBC channels (except BBC1 N.I.) have disappeared for a short time, both on the laptop and on the IPTV boxes, when not using a VPN. Switching the VPN on has brought them back.

Anyone else noticed that?

Russell
They did this a few months ago and I emailed their support team who said it was an unintentional cock-up
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Thanks Allan. I hope that's all it is.

The strange thing was that I could still watch BBC without the VPN using their mobile web browser app on an Android tablet while it was unavailable on their ordinary web browser app.

Incidentally the mobile web app works very well on my Samsung and Lenovo tablets and gives better performance than the Android app. I am using it in Firefox and it streams via MXPlayer. Unfortunately I can't get it to work on the G-Box or Droidbox - it keeps looking for a non existent plugin.

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Its working well on both Filmon and notFilmon Android Apps and, as far as i can see (although i only use the Google app version as a 'Back up') working OK on this format too.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I'm having a problem with the filmon most days. I have to start this like an old car in winter. I can most days get the "yesterday" channel and a few others but BBC1 will not start. I can get the BBC1 Ireland though. I can restart the G-box again and again and sometimes I can get all of the programs to work okay.

I like to watch the Bargain Hunt on BBC1 weekdays but I have to see this program on the BBC1-Ireland. Funny that this one works and the other is reluctant.

Depends I start with the android version (with the G-box) but sometimes I get some other versions. Sometimes I'm stuck with pub but often I can swap onto better versions later the day.

Overall, the G-Box works for me. But, I'm lazy to make more from this android. Having a Nexus 10 tablette, I can make things work together.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I downloaded the HDI player for Windows XP and I have never had any problems with it.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

In my experience, the XBMC Android Filmon Addons seem to work more reliably than the Google Apps.
They seem to have improved their reliability over the past 2 or 3 months.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Our Filmon through Google apps with the Android stick works fine. Can get all programmes, no buffering and no adverts.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The main benefit in using a XBMC addon rather than the Google app is better Picture quality
ie..... you can stream in HD without a Subscription, when set up correctly.
Last edited by montgolfiere on Thu 24 Apr 2014 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Monty. Can you download xbmc onto a laptop and use it for filmon instead of the HDI Player?
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I am afraid i have no specific info for XBMC outside Android.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

neil mitchell wrote:Monty. Can you download xbmc onto a laptop and use it for filmon instead of the HDI Player?
I have XBMC running on my laptop under Linux with no problems. There is a version available for Windows but I haven't tried it, see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XB ... ecific_FAQ

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

XBMC works fine under Windows and seems more stable than the Android version.

It is pretty unlikely to run Filmon any better than in a browser or with the HDI player as you will not only have all the same Windows background tasks running but you will also have the added overhead of XBMC.

You might find it better to tune your Windows laptop a bit, shutting down unnecessary background tasks and then use the Task Manager to increase the priority of the Filmon player.

XBMC under Windows uses the host system's network, so it will make no difference to your internet access.

Having said all that, all the software is free and very easy to install so give it a try. There are loads of interesting applications for XBMC that don't exist on other platforms.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Hi Allan.
Thank you. I'm glad you said that because when I find something which works I hate changing it. Just in a couple of words, how do I find the Task Manager and how/which background windows stuff can be dispensed with (XP).
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

neil mitchell wrote:Hi Allan.
Thank you. I'm glad you said that because when I find something which works I hate changing it. Just in a couple of words, how do I find the Task Manager and how/which background windows stuff can be dispensed with (XP).
Wow! Windows XP - that takes me back.

To get into Task manager, press Ctrl Alt & Del all at the same time and you should get several choices, one of which is task manager. This will show you what is running on your machine, both in terms of applications and processes which are related to applications or background tasks. It will also show you which processes are taking up resources.

It is not always clear what the processes are so take a screen dump and email it to me ( I will PM my email address ).

You can change the priority of a running application by right-clicking on it in Task Manager and choosing Go to Process, then right click on the process and choose change priority.

I can remember the Windows XP options but the second fastest is probably the best choice - but play with it and see.

A big culprit in slowing down Filmon is Anti-Virus software - you can generally stop it temporarily but obviously there are some risks attached.

Lots of programs don't end cleanly so your machine will be at its best just after it has been started up. You may however have unwanted programs that start automatically, you can turn these off using Windows Defender - read how here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270035

There is a good article on Task Manager here http://m.wikihow.com/Open-Your-Task-Manager
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Alan. That's awesome, I'll have a go at it and actually I only went up to XP for this TV business recently, until then I'd been on 95, like I said, I don't like to change things that work (my car is an elderly landrover which I've had for 25 years)
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Be aware that Microsoft have stopped any Support/Updates etc. for XP since the 8th. of this month. ie. they are trying to force us all to 'update' to a new computer as old ones probably cannot cope with the likes of Windows 7 or 8 !!!
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

montgolfiere wrote:Be aware that Microsoft have stopped any Support/Updates etc. for XP since the 8th. of this month.
That might be an advantage - if they don't update it they can't break it :D

I've been running XP on a machine in my workshop to control a machine and I have intentionally stopped the updates so that it won't break and won't waste my time waiting for updates to install.

Russell.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

At present, FilmOn is a little flaky (buffering/freezes etc.) in the evenings, especially on BBC1. We find we can resolve this by switching from the iPad/Apple TV set-up to our MacBook Air and watching http://www.filmon.com rather than the App for iPad.
I don't know why this works but it does.
Is it FilmOn, The App., the time of day (peak demand) or local pressure on the ADSL network?
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Smiley G wrote:At present, FilmOn is a little flaky (buffering/freezes etc.) in the evenings, especially on BBC1.
It does seem to be channel dependent so can't be the network. I guess their servers are getting overloaded as the demand grows.

Russell.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I loaded the filmon app onto my Nexus 10 tablet. The filmon was okay and the sharpness was great but when I put the HDMI cable to the TV, the quality was dropped quite a bit.

For me anyway, I'll keep working with my G-Box except if things change and I have to swap to the tablet system.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

No problems for us with Android stick. Picture and quality fine.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

nor with the iptv android box....
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

All BBC channels (except BBC1 NI) need the VPN to be active again this evening. :cry:

Russell.
P.S. Overplay DNS doesn't seem to work with Filmon.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Update:
All of filmon's services and their website have failed now.

Russell.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Ah......that answers my problem, I thought my tablet was cracking up, or me :roll:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

:lol: :lol:
Dylan
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Not working on iPad or MacBook.
Looks like iPlayer on Firefox for the new Sarah Lancashire drama.
:cry:
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Working fine on my iPad
CharlesRyder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CharlesRyder »

Smiley G wrote:Not working on iPad or MacBook.
Looks like iPlayer on Firefox for the new Sarah Lancashire drama.
:cry:
Yes, we wanted to watch Happy Valley as well !!!!!