Internet speeds in Villelongue dels months

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Internet speeds in Villelongue dels months

Post by Sue »

There is a member of the FB Group moving to Villelongue dels Monts and would like to know which internet provider provides the fastest speed. What are the views of you who live there. Thanks.
Dylan
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

We have Free.fr as our ISP and we get about 5 mg download...a bit less in evenings
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks Nigel
Dylan
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Internet speeds in Villelongue dels months

Post by Ariègeoise »

Sue wrote:There is a member of the FB Group moving to Villelongue dels Monts and would like to know which internet provider provides the fastest speed.
That would be me! Thought it would be a good idea to join this forum too. I live in the Ariège - not moving full-time but buying a little house as second home and for letting - signing the acte this Thursday.

Thanks Nigel for your response - hope to meet you one day!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Welcome Ariegeoise both to the Forum and FB.
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

A warm welcome Ariègeoise. Lots of adventures, new people and places ahead.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Internet speeds in Villelongue dels months

Post by martyn94 »

Sue wrote:There is a member of the FB Group moving to Villelongue dels Monts and would like to know which internet provider provides the fastest speed. What are the views of you who live there. Thanks.
Your speed will depend primarily on the characteristics of your line (distance from the exchange, thickness of the cables). You can find this out, and get an estimate of the resulting speed, on eg ariase.com. I don't think you are likely to find major differences in performance between operators, although there can be special cases as respects particular heavily-used sites.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Thanks all for the warm welcome! We nearly moved to 66 nearly 9 years ago, when we first moved to France, but couldn't afford what we wanted (big house for chambres d'hôtes, with some land) so ended up in the Ariège. Love it there but still spend a lot of time in the Albères in winter.

I have used ariase.com in the past, martyn, but the trouble is that I don't trust it! When I've done a test for speed and providers here at home, not only does it get the available speed on my line wrong but it even gets the dégroupage wrong as well ... :roll:

It looks as though I can hope to get somewhere around 5 to 6Mbits, which is more than fine. Just need to find a provider with decent service (hah!). Here, I've been with Nordnet since 2007 and compared to friends who have Orange or Free or SFR have had a blessedly easy time, but they're now focusing on satellite internet so not open to new adsl contracts apparently.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Always nice to meet new people in the village ...let us know when you are here
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Ariègeoise wrote:
I have used ariase.http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11401.m1 ... xe,ext=ext in the past, martyn, but the trouble is that I don't trust it! When I've done a test for speed and providers here at home, not only does it get the available speed on my line wrong but it even gets the dégroupage wrong as well ... :roll:

It looks as though I can hope to get somewhere around 5 to 6Mbits, which is more than fine. Just need to find a provider with decent service (hah!). Here, I've been with Nordnet since 2007 and compared to friends who have Orange or Free or SFR have had a blessedly easy time, but they're now focusing on satellite internet so not open to new adsl contracts apparently.
If you don't like ariase, try eg degrouptest.com. But they all use the same phone line database (which you can access directly if I could remember where).

I doubt that you have lost much by not getting Nordnet adasl: they have been an Orange subsidiary for years now ( nor is their service uniformly good in my experience).

There are, however, significant differences between the different boxes, tv packages etc, which could be worth researching.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

We have been with Alice (now taken over by Free) since our village got adsl. 6 or 7 years ago and, apart from one replacement Router after a Thunderstorm, have had a very reliable service. We only get 2.1mb/s (max) (it only drops to 1.9 at peak times) and although not able to get the 'Free French TV' service i am able to happily stream FTA UK Live TV/ Films/ Series etc. via an IPTV Android Box in HD.