Watching filmon

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Watching filmon

Post by Prosserp »

Having watched filmon for a while now on my laptop fed through to my tv , we have found that we get far less buffering by using the ipad or ipod instead.
We bought a lead that allows you to charge the ipad at the same time as watching on the tv .The lead plugs in from ipad to hdmi on tv , so picture quality is much better then using an old laptop with a vga lead. Also logging in
Is a pain on a laptop , whereas the ipad switches on so much more quickly
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

You can also stream from your iPad or iPod Touch to your TV via an AppleTV set top box.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I watch Filmon on my Android Smartphone, Android Tablet. Laptop, Desk Top and use an Android FTA IPTV Box when i want to watch on my TV using a remote and in FTA HD .....Maybe even cheaper than an Apple TV and doesn't tie up an Ipad etc....
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I have both an iPad and a couple of Android TV boxes. From what I have seen, the quality and performance of the TV apps on the iPad is way better than on an Android device or a PC for that matter.

IOS the Apple operating system is a closed and well controlled environment whereas in programming terms, Android is like the Wild West. Filmon, BBC, ITV etc. all have extremely well written apps for the iPad/iPhone/iPad. but their Android apps have to work on a whole variety of hardware platforms and Android implementations and do not always perform consistently.

Earlier versions of Windows relied on the use of a browser to access Filmon and are heavily affected by browser add-ons, anti-virus software and whatever else is installed on the PC so without some technical knowledge a PC may not give the best performance.

Windows 8 however has a specific App for Filmon which seems at least as good as the IOS version.

As has been pointed out, you can transfer the iPad (or other IOS device) to your TV screen with either a cable or with an Apple TV box. The Apple TV has the advantage that the transfer is wireless so you don't have to run cables and of course the Apple TV lets you do lots of things in its own right.

PCs do have some advantages over IOS devices, you can watch Sky Go for instance and with suitable software download ITV programs to watch later. This is particularly useful with a slow connection.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Somewhile ago we bought from Intermarche for 59€ an Android stick which goes into a USB port on the tv. Probably very similar to a Chromecast stick. Not being technophobes we have only just discovered that we can put the Filmon App onto the stick. Voila no adverts (except on ITV channels!) and best of all no buffering.
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Your Android TV stick is actually a cut down version of the Android TV boxes that are widely used. Other than its physical connections it is nothing like a Chromecast. I think you will find it plugs into the HDMI socket on your TV and just takes its power from USB.

The Filmon app you are using will be the same one that is available on Android Tv boxes, tablets and phones. The same stick will almost certainly be capable of running a host of TV apps including BBC iplayer.

Buffering is mostly caused by congestion on the internet over which you have no control so regrettably your Android stick will be as susceptible as anything else. If you were previously watching filmon on a PC then it may well be that the PC was slow or poorly configured, in which case you will probably get better results with your Android stick but you can still do nothing about internet congestion.

Good luck with it.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Yes I am told by hubby I was wrong it is an HDMI connection. We have used it at all times of the day and evening and no buffering at all. To get I player through it would mean having a UK address would it not?
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Sue wrote:Yes I am told by hubby I was wrong it is an HDMI connection. We have used it at all times of the day and evening and no buffering at all. To get I player through it would mean having a UK address would it not?
Yes it would require you to have a SmartDNS or VPN
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I can report very good results from the 30 or so Android IPTV Boxes i have installed over the past couple of Months.... Everyone is very pleased to be able to watch UK TV on XBMC (Via the Filmon Streams) in HD with no subscription.
In The Configuration of these Devices there are actually 2 XBMC Addons (HD & SD) and a third way of receiving Filmon via the Google App Version of Filmon (SD).