Working dish

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Working dish

Post by Pearsonb »

A guy I know in Coustouges has put up a 1.8 dish and has good reception.
Last edited by Pearsonb on Sat 05 Apr 2014 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Good news
Where did he buy the dish and how much did it cost?
How long has it been installed?
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Beyond my knowledge ;-)
Tatra Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Working dish

Post by Tatra Man »

Pearsonb wrote:A guy I know in Coustouges has put up a 1.8 dish and has good reception.
I would hope so too!!

I'm about 50Km further West in Saillagouse and hence even more affected by the "Barcelona Dead Zone" but get an occasional sniff of BBC1 Oxford and Channel 5 on a Gibertini 125.

However, I'm going to move up to a 180 as well so if you could find out who supplied the dish (or even pass on contact details via PM) it would help a lot.

Many thanks in advance.
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Bad news. Reception of the UK beam was completely lost during the recent bad weather.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Pearsonb wrote:Bad news. Reception of the UK beam was completely lost during the recent bad weather.
Hardly surprising. The path attenuation due to heavy rain often exceeds 3 dB and can reach 6 dB. That is equivalent to halving the diameter of the dish.

A decent installation should have a 3 dB rain fade margin. In simple terms that means the dish size should be 1.4 times the diameter required to just get acceptable reception in clear weather.

Russell.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Why is no one talking about several dishes in parallel , is there a problem combining the signals , as now older 80/90 mm. dishes & LMB`s should be cheap & plentiful . (should not be too bad in this wind, and save a bit of money as one dish would be your old unit anyway !!! )
Does the old square rule apply i.e. 4 x 1m. dishes = 1 x 2m. dish ??? ----- Paul ... :idea: :idea:
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

sue and paul wrote:Why is no one talking about several dishes in parallel , is there a problem combining the signals , as now older 80/90 mm. dishes & LMB`s should be cheap & plentiful . (should not be too bad in this wind, and save a bit of money as one dish would be your old unit anyway !!! )
Does the old square rule apply i.e. 4 x 1m. dishes = 1 x 2m. dish ??? ----- Paul ... :idea: :idea:
Or does this only apply to area ?? :cry: :cry:
Do 4 x low signals = 1 x slightly larger low signal :oops: :oops: --- still Paul .....
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

sue and paul wrote:Why is no one talking about several dishes in parallel
Unfortunately it is next to impossible. The signals from each dish would have to be combined in phase with each other. That means that the distance of each dish from the satellite, together with the length of cable and the path length within each lnb would have to be controlled within about 1/10 of a wavelength. That would be about 2.5 mm! The only alternative would be to use a variable phase device such as this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_shift_module and tune it.

I suspect a new big dish would be cheaper :(

Russell.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Arrr-well , it was a try , the people with the multi array radio telescope dishes must really know what they are doing .... :( :( :(

(Wish we had a better internet speed down here !!! )
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

sue and paul wrote:
(Wish we had a better internet speed down here !!! )
We don't live a million miles away from you and internet speed does not seem to be a determining factor. As I've said before we are watching as much UK TV as before. Albeit in a slightly different way. For what it's worth we have the Orange basic internet ADSL service. Nothing fancy.

Mary
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Same here Merisin.
Dylan
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Most around us are OK , but we are just on the outskirts of the village and a ping says 4.9 km of copper wire , we are told that 5.00 km is about the limit , our signal comes from Sorede ( which is only 1.5/2 km from us , just up the road ) , but after going down to St. Andre telephone exchange , then out to us via a few dodgy connections ,it gives 4.9 km , result 0.5/1 Mb connection at best .
A new optical fibre into the village would do no harm !!! - Paul ...
( If you have good internet connections , think yourselves lucky ,as it is not the norm. around St Andre . )