Page 1 of 1

Dish Sizes

Posted: Sat 08 Mar 2014 10:34
by neil mitchell
Hi All.

I was just thinking if anyone had ventured out into installing a bigger dish yet.

Here in Vernet Les Bains I have cobbled together a pretty good IPTV system which does the job very well for a maison secondaire but I'd like to have a dish again for FTA if I can.

I have been told that a near neighbour in Fuilla (don't know if it's top, middle or lower) has got everything back with a 120cm. I haven't seen it personally but my friend has and I'm certain that informaioin is reliable.

I guess there might not be much weather margin but, as Monty says, with a non subscription IPTV back up it would work.

Posted: Sat 08 Mar 2014 14:12
by montgolfiere
The Problem is that the Signal may not stay at this level. I am still waiting at least a couple of Months before resuming Installing Dishes.

Posted: Sat 08 Mar 2014 14:46
by neil mitchell
You're right of course Monty, I guess that only a tiny movement all the way up there in space can make a huge difference down here on "the fringes". I've no need to hurry into anything, the IPTV works fine for now but I guess it's encouraging to hear that, at only around 12 miles from the border, a 120 currently seems to be ok.

re big dishes

Posted: Sun 09 Mar 2014 14:28
by malcolm4664
Monty is quite right to suggest waiting a month or two. On our 60cm dish near Estagels on Thursday night we had 100% reception on BBC except 2 and HD plus all the others including 5 and radio except BBC. On Friday night, 50% reception mostly pixelated. This without any realignment or fine tuning. Yesterday nothing at all
Currently the spot beam used by the beeb is over reaching to Iceland and judging by the movements of Astra they still have not fixed a final position. I have latched onto FilmOn for a month waiting developments.
Instead have caught up on my reading.

Posted: Sun 09 Mar 2014 15:17
by montgolfiere
We have measured a 10% Drop in 2e's signal over the last couple of Days. It is now getting towards the 2f level.

Posted: Mon 10 Mar 2014 08:38
by montgolfiere
both 2e and 2f Signals dropped a further 5% since yesterday.

Posted: Mon 10 Mar 2014 08:57
by neil mitchell
I see what you mean Monty, I guess it's possible for those drops to be reversed but it's just too soon.