Choose Channels on Horizontal Frequencies where possible.

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Choose Channels on Horizontal Frequencies where possible.

Post by montgolfiere »

If you are having reception problems tomorrow. Remember the the Channels on the Horizontal Polarised Frequencies have better reception than the Vertical ones. You can look at Lyngsat and see which channels are on which and choose the Horizontals where there is a choice (for different regions of BBC1 as an example) and add them and view them as 'other channels' on a Digibox instead of the Vertical Channel that may be your 'Default'.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Sorry can you explain the above in idiot language.
Dylan
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Sue wrote:Sorry can you explain the above in idiot language.
I'm afraid I'm an idiot too!
I thought tomorrow morning all BBC channels were being migrated to Astra 2E. I've never heard of Horizontal/Vertical except for hold :P :P
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Astra Satellite Channels are broadcast in 2 different Polarities. Vertical and Horizontal. One feature of reception in a Fringe area can be that one of these Polarities is received better than the other. In our case ( at the moment) the Horizontal is +/-10% better than the Vertical.
The Channels are split across dozens of Transponders, some vertical and some Horizontal. The channels that have regional variations for example can be broadcast from more than 1 Transponder in different Polarities. eg. BBC 1 London maybe on a V transponder and BBC 1 Yorkshire might be on a H transponder.
On a Digibox the regionalisation is governed by the Viewing card or without it sets istself to a Default selection of Channels. If any one of these is on a V transponder then reception will be more difficult. It is however possible to add the different regional Channels as 'Other Channels' and then view as 'Other channels. ie you could select a H region add it and then view it if the Vertical region was struggling.
A list of these frequencies and their Polarities is/will be available at http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and ... 2A-2F.html
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Put another way, if you cannot receive BBC from your usual region then you might be able to get BBC from another region.

On a Sky box you can try this using their Add channels function
You can add new channels to a separate list called Other Channels, as follows:

1 Press services (for Options), press down then select the Add Channels tab.
2 Enter the information you want and press yellow (Find Channels).
3 After a moment, a selection of channels received by your Sky±HD box appears.
Some may be in addition to those in your Sky Guide.
4 For each new channel you want to store, highlight the channel and press
yellow (Store Channel). A tick appears next to the channel name.
5 When you’re done, press select."

Where it says above, 'enter the information you want', it means enter the information the Montgolfiere is referring to on Lyngsat

On a Freesat box, I believe the extra regions are on channels 900 and above.

Perhaps when the new frequencies are known, Montgolfiere would post them here.
Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Prosserp »

I know a lot of people have a humax freesat box
Do we have to do anything with that to get bbc 1
Again tomorrow
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Prosserp wrote:I know a lot of people have a humax freesat box
Do we have to do anything with that to get bbc 1
Again tomorrow
Well you might have to buy a bigger dish but if you can receive it then it should tune automatically
Briant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Humax box people

Post by Briant »

Scroll back from 101 BBC one channel 966 and down, or do a manual retune (not freeview)
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The BBC Regions can be found on the epg of a Skybox but not the regions of ITV, C4 C5 etc. These would need to be added and watched as other channels.
Last edited by montgolfiere on Thu 06 Feb 2014 06:54, edited 1 time in total.
Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Prosserp »

No bbc channels this morning on our humax box
Tried manual tuning etc , the strength of signal bar still shows
A signal , but no picture
No regional bbc news channels either
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

It would be useful to state location and Dish size with any reception reports so a picture can be built up of how the region is affected.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

No BBC channels or regional variants.
80cm dish + PMB Set-Top Box.
Argeles-sur-Mer
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Same as TTSS here in Argeles with a 100cm dish and Humax Box. Manual tune done but zilch.
Dylan
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

Just north of Leucate, 80cm dish. Have an Irish Sky subscription and have lost BBC1 BBC2 and also the Irish TV channels such as RTE 1-2 & TV3 & TG4.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

08:30 All channels working fine on a 150cm dish.

Horizontal polarities are definitely stronger than vertical

BBC1 Yorkshire seems to be the strongest

Signal strength appears to be similar to Astra 2f
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Allan...that is encouraging....who is the maker of your dish and LNB please...who supplied it ?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Nigel wrote:Allan...that is encouraging....who is the maker of your dish and LNB please...who supplied it ?
I have a Gibertini 1.5m supplied by http://www.digitvsolutions.com/
EILEEN
Rank 2
Rank 2

No BBC

Post by EILEEN »

Situated in the ville haute of ELNE, 75cm dish, Humax Freesat, . No BBC reception Sky news and other European beam channels have much stronger signals.
EILEEN
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

No BBC

Post by CD »

No BBC channels being received here, just south of Prades.

SkyHD box with (I think) a 80cm dish. You installed it, Dave!

Wife is distraught about losing Olympics coverage...

Happy to be a guinea pig to try different combinations.

Internet not an option as that is via satellite (Nordnet) and very slow.

Tuning info for any BBC channels that work gratefully received!

Chris
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: No BBC

Post by Allan »

CD wrote:No BBC channels being received here, just south of Prades.

SkyHD box with (I think) a 80cm dish. You installed it, Dave!

Wife is distraught about losing Olympics coverage...

Happy to be a guinea pig to try different combinations.

Internet not an option as that is via satellite (Nordnet) and very slow.

Tuning info for any BBC channels that work gratefully received!

Chris
Which service do you have with Nordnet? They currently advertise 20mb download which is plenty fast enough

Does your Nordnet service give you unlimited nighttime downloads?

Is so you could use Sky Anytime to download at night and watch the next day
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Nordnet "up to" 8 Mbps, which is in reality 1 to 2 Mbps and useless for streaming and downloading.

Chris
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

CD wrote:Nordnet "up to" 8 Mbps, which is in reality 1 to 2 Mbps and useless for streaming and downloading.

Chris
Chris

Nordnet's current offerings use either Tooway or SES and are all capable of 20MB. Presumably you have had it for a while so you could maybe upgrade.

Can you run the test here http://speedprobe.skylogicnet.com/ and let me know the result.

Also can you tell me your iP address and country region - it will help to identify where you are routed http://www.whatismyip.com/

I am surprised that your system is slow, but I can watch UK TV on my 1.2MB Orange ADSL - I also have satellite broadband and that is excellent for downloads
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Allan,

IP address is 95.170.40.23

Spedtest.net just gave 4.8Mbps which is better than normal.

Chris
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The Dish size required for the area south of perpignan could well be 180 cms. Allan is some 10 Kms north of perpignan wjhere the 150 is working well.
I suggest for any Large 150 / 180 Dish Installations you do try contacting Stephen at DigitvSolutions as posted above as he has just taken delivery of a van large enough to carry these Dishes. I personally have not taken this course of action as yet.
DO ALSO BE AWARE THAT MAKE/MODEL OF DISH/LNB MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. After MONTHS of research.....We are only reccomending Top Quality Dishes with the CORRECT Top Quality LNB Arrangments.
I would advise against looking for cheap Dish options above 120cm.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Montgolifier...which makes are you recommending for dish and LNB please
JRH66300
Rank 1
Rank 1

New Astra

Post by JRH66300 »

Is any one getting BBC channels on a 120 cms dish, I am watching BBC at the moment on my iPad with FilmOn .
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Having great problems with FilmOn via iPad & Apple TV box. I'm getting frozen screens even with a download speed of 2.06mbps. Plays a little with sound and vision and then freezes again.
Does anyone know if there's a FilmOn issue?
BBC Global iPlayer on the iPad streams perfectly to the TV via the Apple TV box using "Mirroring" I'm totally perplexed or do I need to subscribe to Filmon?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Smiley G wrote:Having great problems with FilmOn via iPad & Apple TV box. I'm getting frozen screens even with a download speed of 2.06mbps. Plays a little with sound and vision and then freezes again.
Does anyone know if there's a FilmOn issue?
BBC Global iPlayer on the iPad streams perfectly to the TV via the Apple TV box using "Mirroring" I'm totally perplexed or do I need to subscribe to Filmon?
I've been having the same problem with the filmon freezes. But, it's only for the British Choices I think. The music section works fine. Same for using youtube on a android~it runs fine.

I think that there are too many people trying to see if they can view BBC et all from the internet, instead of not a big dish. I'm using two methods ~ the first is the G-Box which is next to the TV. I also have a tablette Google Nexus 10. This works fine too.

I think filmon will calm down in a few days. I do not plan on buying a great dish. Astra change again and a 150 cms dish might be too small. I needed a 1.8 meter in Cadiz in Spain. Remember, this isn't going to just sit on the lawn. You will need a concrete base, otherwise it will fly to Chicago before it lands again.

I guess it is best to keep reading this forum and see what people say what they're using.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

My Filmon is working reasonably well on a 2mb (Village) connection thru a android MX Box with little buffering certainly no more than 'usual'. I have BBC 1 on now and no bufering in the last 10 mins. I will be monitoring the situation all evening on various channels
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

blackduff wrote: I've been having the same problem with the filmon freezes. But, it's only for the British Choices I think. The music section works fine. Same for using youtube on a android~it runs fine.

I think that there are too many people trying to see if they can view BBC et all from the internet, instead of not a big dish. I'm using two methods ~ the first is the G-Box which is next to the TV.
I had the same problem with a G-Box and with a DroidBox next to the TV when using WiFi for the connection. They both work fine using an Ethernet connection.

If you have problems with Flimon on HD you might find that it works better on SD although the picture quality is poor.

Regarding download bandwidth; I am getting typically 6 Mb/s and can receive Filmon in HD on three separate channels (on two TVs and my laptop) with very little buffering.

It's worthwhile subscribing to Filmon for the (so called) HD and also to a SmartDNS service to get iPlayer on the Android box.

Russell.