Updates on Astra 2E

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Updates on Astra 2E

Post by Smiley G »

Link attached to Spanish SKY site.
http://www.skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html

Interesting to read the NO NEWS,GOOD NEWS? post dated yesterday. I read recently a report from the U.K. that SES might put it into service once the Christmas/ New Year holidays are over.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Sky do not like to change anything over the Xmas period, roughly 15th Dec to 5th. Jan. So unless 2e starts to 'move' to 28,2 east soon, there wont be time to get it into service before the Xmas Halt.

It has been announced that they are moving all the remaining Transponders from 2A to 2F this week so perhaps they have been awaiting this before embarking on the 2e Changeover.

I have asked the 'Direct' question to SES, as to whether 2e is 'Functioning Correctly' and they have replied in the 'affirmative'!!!
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

montgolfiere wrote: It has been announced that they are moving all the remaining Transponders from 2A to 2F this week
Am I right in thinking that includes a lot of the Sky subscription channels?

Russell.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

As of the 27th, Astra 2E was still at 43.6°E.
Source: http://www.britsat.tv
Last edited by Smiley G on Thu 28 Nov 2013 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

russell wrote:
montgolfiere wrote: It has been announced that they are moving all the remaining Transponders from 2A to 2F this week
Am I right in thinking that includes a lot of the Sky subscription channels?

Russell.
You can find a list of channels on Astra 2A here
http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2a.php

It is a third party site so the accuracy isn't guaranteed

Montgolfiere, was it an official announcement?
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Not Official, but this Xmas 'Freeze' has been the Standard Practice of Sky / SES for years.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Do SES have a problem with Astra 2E?

Post by Smiley G »

Given that the satellite was launched on 29th September and we were told it would be operational 6-8 weeks after that, I find it strange that it's still at 43.5°E this morning.
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/S ... .php?39285
I understand that normally SES issue regular updates and briefings but according to another forum, SES have been very quiet recently about 2E and whilst the BBC want to push ahead, ITV are reticent (for whatever reason)

UPDATE: From this link I see it has still not changed position.
Last edited by Smiley G on Wed 04 Dec 2013 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesRyder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CharlesRyder »

Now back in the U.K.
The "satandpcguy" who is based in Spain but regularly posts on FrenchEntree.com has expressed doubts that anything will now happen before Christmas.
http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/astra_2 ... pdates.php
Hope everyone has a Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Astra 2E in January

Post by Smiley G »

Looks like it's going to be January at least
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Astra 2E in January

Post by Allan »

Smiley G wrote:Looks like it's going to be January at least
I looked at this website, it is well written and well presented but their views are purely conjecture and I'm not sure why you quote it as a source of information.

They say they stopped installing dishes 2 years ago so I wouldn't regard them as an informed source. To be honest, they don't seem to be selling anything, so I'm not quite sure what the objective of their site is? They could of course just be nice guys sharing what knowledge they have.

If you scour the web you will find umpteen satellite installer sites and forums, all saying conflicting things with lots of conspiracy theories of why Astra 2e is still being tested.

If they wanted to, SES could switch over before Christmas, whether they plan to do so remains to be seen but they are the only people that know.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Definitely something strange going on as at the moment we are picking up channel 5 etc on our old 80cm dish (on the roof) until around 10 pm. This was even the case (with a little break up) when the tram was blowing. No break up from the 100cm dish on the garden wall.
Dylan
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

Sue wrote:Definitely something strange going on as at the moment we are picking up channel 5 etc on our old 80cm dish (on the roof) until around 10 pm. This was even the case (with a little break up) when the tram was blowing. No break up from the 100cm dish on the garden wall.
Maybe the aliens have really landed
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

:lol: :lol:
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Astra 2e due to come into service feb 2014

Post by montgolfiere »

SES wrote: "As part of SES' ongoing fleet renewal programme, we will be transferring all the UK Spot Beam transponders currently operating on ASTRA 1N across to ASTRA 2E. This move at the 28.2/28.5ºEast orbital location will take place over several weeks beginning early February 2014. The transfer will have no adverse implications for viewers in the UK and Ireland as the affected channels will continue to operate on the same frequencies and will be broadcast at the same, or slightly improved power levels, across the UK and Ireland. TV viewers outside the UK and Ireland may see an impact and may not be able to receive channels from ASTRA 2E UK Spot Beam, which has a smaller footprint than ASTRA 1N. The new footprint on SES' replacement fleet has been designed to meet the requirements of UK and Irish broadcasters who target their channels for distribution in the UK and/or Ireland. UK and Irish broadcasters hold broadcasting rights only for the UK and/or Ireland but not for other countries."
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Astra 2E in February 2014

Post by Smiley G »

Thanks for this Montgolfiere :D