ASTRA 2E STILL TESTING

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

CharlesRyder
Rank 1
Rank 1

ASTRA 2E STILL TESTING

Post by CharlesRyder »

Updated Wednesday, 13 November, 2013 NOV
ASTRA 2E STILL TESTING
After more than a month , the new satellite Astra 2E is still in its testing position, confounding many (including us) who speculated that SES Astra was in a real hurry to get it into service before Christmas. The move could still happen, depending on how fast SES Astra are prepared to move the spacecraft.
Meanwhile, the campaign of misinformation continues from those selling illegal IPTV boxes:
"All BBC ITV Ch4 Ch5 TV channels etc will disappear from the SKY platform at end of October beginning November. None of these channels will physically reach Europe mainland via Satellite."
False. These services will not disappear from the Sky platform, and signals will continue to reach mainland Europe via satellite after Astra 2E goes into service. The signals will, however, be very weak in southern Spain.
"Sky Channels (Pay TV) will only be available on SKY Digi set-top boxes with fixed card, however after end of October no BBC or ITV channels etc will be viewable on your SKY Box, or Free to Air box."
Almost wholly false, designed to cause panic amongst UK expats living in all parts of Spain. Only areas in the far south are likely to be affected, such as the Costa Del Sol, Gibraltar and the Algarve.
We are receiving e-mails every single day from British people in Spain, many worrying unnecessarily.
Reproduced from;
http://www.skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: ASTRA 2E STILL TESTING

Post by russell »

CharlesRyder wrote: Meanwhile, the campaign of misinformation continues from those selling illegal IPTV boxes:
You obviously know something I don't. Can you tell me what French or Spanish law, or European Directive makes these IPTV boxes illegal?

Russell.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

russell wrote:
CharlesRyder wrote: Meanwhile, the campaign of misinformation continues from those selling illegal IPTV boxes:
You obviously know something I don't. Can you tell me what French or Spanish law, or European Directive makes these IPTV boxes illegal?

Russell.
I think CharlesRyder is quoting a Spanish Website. I suppose it all depends on who is streaming what and with what permissions. FilmOn have already had injunctions served this year for copyright breaches.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Smiley G wrote: I think CharlesRyder is quoting a Spanish Website. I suppose it all depends on who is streaming what and with what permissions. FilmOn have already had injunctions served this year for copyright breaches.
The IPTV boxes are not illegal. There are many perfectly legal channels you can receive. Those providing the streaming service are in breach of copyright if they do not have permission to rebroadcast according to a recent European Court of Justice ruling. If you are receiving services such as BBC iPlayer by hiding your location this does not apply as you are still receiving it direct from the broadcaster.

Russell.
pierredoug
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pierredoug »

russell wrote:

Russell.
Last edited by pierredoug on Mon 20 Jan 2014 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I have been using my Droid TV IPTV Box (subscription free) streaming Filmon pretty reliably for 4 months or so now.... Especially now i have both an XBMC and Google app version available in case one isn't working. I do believe Filmon are now based in Switzerland where 'rebroadcasting' isn't illegal . so i imagine i wont get a Knock on the door anytime soon. It is however a little 'clunky to use' and maybe only for someone a bit used to Android based devices.
humamsabbagh

Post by humamsabbagh »

montgolfiere wrote:I have been using my Droid TV IPTV Box (subscription free) streaming Filmon pretty reliably for 4 months or so now.... Especially now i have both an XBMC and Google app version available in case one isn't working. I do believe Filmon are now based in Switzerland where 'rebroadcasting' isn't illegal . so i imagine i wont get a Knock on the door anytime soon. It is however a little 'clunky to use' and maybe only for someone a bit used to Android based devices.

Most IPTV are illegal but moreover, services provided are extremely bad.

The recording option on my device is completely USELESS! The recording icon on the main menu doesn't function even with my 8gb USB stick. I called and called the ZaapTV customer help desk but no answer. The rep was absolutely clueless, I am not getting a refund and or being shipped another “non-faulty” device.

There go my 300 dollars. Guess I got served for trying illegal IPTV device. My advise? STAY AWAY!
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

These are more my husband's words than mine!

For what it's worth we live near Port Vendres. When Freesat introduced HD channels we upgraded to a 1m dish to get a stable picture on the new channels.Today we checked and we get Channel 5 loud and clear. Presumably it will drop off as the sun sets. We can't get anything on BBC4 HD but maybe it's not transmitting just now.

We already have a VPN and have tried it to catch up on programmes. It's very hit and miss.

We listen to UK radio which we re-broadcast throughout the house. We've tested radio via the internet and it works fine.

Finally it's worth setting your digital TV to have English as the primary language. It's surprising how many of the programmes bought in by French terrestrial TV are transmitted with the original soundtrack as an alternative.

Merisin (and Richard)
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The 2f signal today is very high after around 4 weeks of a much lower output. we can realistically only work to the lower levels we have observed over the past 13 months.

The IPTV FTA System works suprisingly well and there is no 'Provider'. It just accesses the Filmon Streams using a set top box and mine has been working well for the last 5 months. There is however no recording but as well as accessing the Main UK Channels it has access to many other TV from around the world (including the 5 main French Channels) and can stream huge libraries of Movies FTA. Of course Filmon may get shut down in the future.....but for now it is working fine. (It uses Android XBMC which has much more than Filmon to draw on.)
The Subscription IPTV System i have been installing also works pretty well and can be guaranteed into the future.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Astra 2E is on the move to 28.2°E

Post by Smiley G »

Due to arrive by Friday, 31st January.

http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/astra_2 ... pdates.php
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

At the moment we are getting the 5 channels and 4seven for virtually 24 hours a day on our 100 cm dish and for a large part of the day on our 80 cm dish.
Dylan
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Due to arrive Thursday, 30th January with an expected fully operational date by mid February.

For the technically minded out there;
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/S ... .php?39285
Happy Valentines !