Astra 2E Launch set for 29th. September

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Astra 2E Launch set for 29th. September

Post by montgolfiere »

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

With a bit of luck it won't!
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Smiley G wrote:With a bit of luck it won't!
The problem with that is that the whole point of this move is to improve the service in the UK. We will benefit from it when we are caravanning in the North of Scotland as of course will those who live there permanently.

That we will possibly be disadvantaged when down here in Baho along with those who live here permanently doesn't seem to me a good enough reason to want a UK project to improve a service in the UK to fail.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Colin L, You seem to forget that some of us live here less than 6 months a year and live for more than 6 months back in the U.K.
We pay a full BBC Licence Fee and they don't even want us to access iPlayer on our computers as we are identified as having a French IP address.
Yes, I know there are ways around it, but really the BBC, who are driving this satellite change, forget that there are over 400,000 English-Speaking people in France alone. Astra 2F could be beamed on Europe for educational purposes alone!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Smiley G wrote:Colin L, You seem to forget that some of us live here less than 6 months a year and live for more than 6 months back in the U.K.
We pay a full BBC Licence Fee and they don't even want us to access iPlayer on our computers as we are identified as having a French IP address.
Yes, I know there are ways around it, but really the BBC, who are driving this satellite change, forget that there are over 400,000 English-Speaking people in France alone. Astra 2F could be beamed on Europe for educational purposes alone!
It isn't the BBC that is driving the satellite change. Satellites have a limited life ( around 15 years ), the Astra 1N satellite that carries a lot of the UK channels is being replaced by SES Astra the satellite operator.

New satellites are cleverer, they can focus a beam onto a more specific area hence the problem.

BBC have long argued that they licence their programs for transmission in a defined geographic area I.E. the UK
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Astra 2E Launch set for 29th. September

Post by Smiley G »

montgolfiere wrote:http://www.satlaunch.net/2013/09/kazakh ... roton.html

looks like it may finally happen.
I wrote (With a bit of luck it won't!)
This WAS intended as a pun. Most people are making plans (IPTV etc.) but a lot will not and I fear there will be a lot of unhappy people IF, as we suspect, the current FTA channels disappear between the end of October and the middle of November. We should perhaps all think of ex-pats who may not have internet access and rely on British television for some company, especially in the Winter months. I know of one lady, a widow, who said she would probably have to return to the U.K. if she lost her UKTV.
So if you do know someone who may be in a similar position, please try and help them out.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

a nice video of astra2e being prepared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWWO0d_ ... r_embedded
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Lift-off at 11:38pm tonight (CET) with separation following 9 hours and 12 minutes after lift off.
So at about 9am (CET) tomorrow, Monday 30th, we should all start thinking about the big question;
Will we or won't we? (lose FTA UKTV)
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Not if i can help it!!!
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The launch has so far gone to plan.
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Looks like all went well.... 6 to 8 weeks before it goes into service....

http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2013/16088644