Very high 2F Signal today

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Very high 2F Signal today

Post by montgolfiere »

the signal from 2f has been more stable and higher lately. However today it has reached new highs and all channels were recievable on my old 80 cm. dish....
it looks like things have 'changed' but we will have to see actually what is going on and if it is likely to last.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Was the high signal throughout the day ?
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

it started dropping in the evening. and i will see how it goes through today. How this will translate in the long term and how 2F will behave has to be seen.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We, south of Perpignan, too got channel 5 on our old 80cm dish yesterday and ALL missing channels on our 100cm dish. Over the last week or so we have been able to get channel 5 every day on our 100cm dish. Usually from around 7 am to 7pm.
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We have all the "missing" channels on our 100cm dish today.
Dylan
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Also in Argelès, strong signal but NO Channel 5, 5* or 5USA. With our 80cm dish and Universal LNB, if we select CH5, we get BBC Sport! Found Pick TV but 4Seven & Dave missing.
Not really worried about these as BBC1,2,3,4/ITV1,2,3,4/C4/Film4,More4 and E4 are the most utilised.
By the way, there has been a new version of FireFox and the media Add-On which allows catch-up TV STILL works.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The changeover when the likes of the BBC ITV C4 etc etc will also be ' lost' without larger Dishes etc....is now most likely the last 2 weeks of November......., subject of course to the Launch of 2e going ahead smoothly on the 30th.
CharlesRyder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CharlesRyder »

No luck with my 100cm dish with 5 etc but someone told me today that reception seems to be better on the west of the Perpignan-Cerbere railway line. I think that means inland. What's the reception like in St. Andre or Sorede (66690)?
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

CharlesRyder wrote:No luck with my 100cm dish with 5 etc but someone told me today that reception seems to be better on the west of the Perpignan-Cerbere railway line. I think that means inland. What's the reception like in St. Andre or Sorede (66690)?
The Model of Dish, the type of LNB and it's Skew, and of course how it is aligned also play their part.
Aligning for 2f is very 'precise' and a meter that differenciates between 1n and 2f is required to optimise reception.
I have found the variation is more North South and probably 10 kms in either of these directions could have an effect. The East West changes are much less pronounced.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We cant get any of the "missing " channels so far today.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Smiley G wrote:Also in Argelès, strong signal but NO Channel 5, 5* or 5USA. With our 80cm dish and Universal LNB, if we select CH5, we get BBC Sport! Found Pick TV but 4Seven & Dave missing.
Not really worried about these as BBC1,2,3,4/ITV1,2,3,4/C4/Film4,More4 and E4 are the most utilised.
By the way, there has been a new version of FireFox and the media Add-On which allows catch-up TV STILL works.
Dave is not Fta /FTV onSatellite. only available with a Sky Sub.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Dave is also available on TVcatchup and on Filmon.

Russell.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

My G-Box is finding all of those channels. You have to learn a dance, since Filmon.com likes to Samba. Yet, it keeps me alert.

I haven't changed over to iPortal yet ~ I get more than I need with the G-Box.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

signal remaining good all channels on my 85cm at 1500. they had all gone by 2000 yesterday evening (on the 85cm.).. Interesting times. It seems the signal is higher than it has been for nearly 8 months!!!
Last edited by montgolfiere on Mon 23 Sep 2013 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We have them all today on our 80 cm and 100 cm.
Dylan
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

we are very close to you Sue...but nothing here on ITV EM and C5...all other channels perfect...could it be the dish needs re-aligning ?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

What size of dish have you. We have now lost 5 on 80cm dish but it's still ok on 100 cm dish with a quad LNB. Havent got ITV EM tuned in cause we have SW (Westcountry). We have also been able to get Ch4 HD and 4 seven today on the 100 cm. If you are getting all the other channels ok then I assume your dish is aligned Ok but that is only an assumption.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The Make and model of LNB and the alignment for 2f is crucial. just because you are receiving the 1n Channels does not mean the Dish is maximised for 2f.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Its all very hit and miss!!
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Its all a Pain in the Butt.... i can only hope that maybe now things will settle down to a measurable and constant signal level!!! at which point we will know the best way forward.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Is the signal level being reasonably constant at the moment ?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

montgolfiere wrote:Its all a Pain in the Butt.... i can only hope that maybe now things will settle down to a measurable and constant signal level!!! at which point we will know the best way forward.
I doubt that the signal will ever settle down to a constant level, it isn't constant anywhere else in the world so why should it be here?

The difference is that in the intended reception area the signal is generally strong enough so that fluctuations don't matter. unfortunately we are right on the fringe of the reception area, so small fluctuations can make the difference between receiving a useable signal and not getting one.

Although satellites are considered geostationary, they move around because of a number of factors, irregularities in the earths surface and solar winds are just 2 reasons. The limited life of satellites is a result of them using up propellant to get back in position.

To me, all the comments about the signal being strong today, weak tomorrow or steady for a week are really irrelevant. Over a longer period of time the signal will vary, sometimes we will get reception, sometimes we won't. What people should be thinking about is how reliable they want their system to be, the more reliable, the bigger the dish, its really that simple.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

What i meant was for the signal to settle to the 'stability' of say the 1n output (and excluding weather effects);
with such 'stability' is is possible to know what size dish will work in a certain location. Unfortunately with the swings of output quality from a 120 Dish in my location over the last 10 momths from 60% to 0% this has caused a real problem. (the 1n variation is perhaps 5%!!! from a hig of 100% on a suitable Dish).

There has definitely been a new development over the past few weeks and specifically for the past few days.

this new high signal behaved pretty much the same the last 3 days.

Unfortunately not everyone is able to install a 'Large' Dish as they cannot be mounted on Chimneys etc. so it is important to know how any sized dish will perform. and if this isn't 'sufficiently reliable' then of course we have to look at the alternatives. IPTV either FTA Or Subscription.

I am very pleased to have reception reports as it helps build up a picture of the changes in reception around the area an of course helps people make the most of their existing system in the short term.
Last edited by montgolfiere on Tue 24 Sep 2013 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Getting ITV EM for the first time ....a little pixilated ...just watchable...no C5
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The signal has followed an identical pattern for at least 4 days now. Reception of 2f on my old 85cm. for around 5 hours a day, then starting breaking up around 5/6pm. the 120 is now giving 24/7 reception, at least in the good weather we are enjoying. How it will perform in Rain etc....we will have to see.
and of course... will it last???? That is the million dollar question.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Our old 80cm dish is giving us the channels 5, 4HD and 4 seven today as well as the 100cm dish.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

the 2 F channels started going at 1700 on the 85cm. dish.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The 2F channels now working at 10.00 on the 85cm. so at the moment it looks like the signal is strong from 10.00 - 17.00.
The pattern now is pretty consistant so it is just a question of monitoring it to see how it goes...
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Signal as high as the beginnig of last week.....any variations are not too low...however there does seem to be a significant variation between 'night and day'... All needs monitoring and all reports of Reception of C5 and 4/7 with time of day, location and Dish Size will be most useful maybe taken at 0900 and 2100.......
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Forgive my ignorance but why does knowing what time of day things are changing make any difference to what will happen in 2 months?
Surely in a couple of months we will have UK TV or not.
We may a bigger dish or not be able to receive at all.
We may get it online or in some areas due to speeds not.
So surely you just have to go with the flow and see what happens and if need be invest in a few DVD's or watch French TV? But I don't see what this signal watching is doing, other than getting people angsty.