U.K. IP ADDRESS

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

U.K. IP ADDRESS

Post by Smiley G »

There are various downloads that enable you to mask your French IP address and to present a U.K. IP address to the likes of BBC iPlayer etc. etc.
Do these work best with Windows or Linux (Ubuntu) operating systems?
I DO know that Expat Shield does not work with Mac OS so any tips please.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

i have iportal working on both my Windows Desk top and my Boys Android Tablet. It also works on ipads etc. Have a look at their website and they advise that iportal works with Mac Computers. www.iportal.me
Last edited by montgolfiere on Wed 12 Jun 2013 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

It all depends what you want to do with it.

There are basically 2 methods of circumventing geographical restrictions, VPN and DNS proxy.

Expatshield runs an application that initiates a VPN, it is free but will only work on Windows, plagues you with adverts and performs slowly. iPortal doesn't need to install software so can be configured on any device that supports VPNs. This includes PCs, Macs, iPads, iPhones, some Android (not Kindle) etc

VPNs normally are not supported by smart TVs and bluray players, Sky Plus and Freesat boxes.

DNS proxies are more elegant as you can configure them on your router or individual pieces of equipment. They do however only support designated sites so check before buying. www.Unotelly.com is a good DNS based service and www.hidemyass.com is a very good VPN service that can be installed on a suitable router.

www.Tunlr.net is a free DNS proxy but only supports BBC iPlayer and itv player

Most offer trial periods, iPortal let's you try it for a day but you have to pay beforehand.

If you say which services you want to watch and on what devices then it would be easier to advise you.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Allan, I have PM'd you.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.