UK mobile phone

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

UK mobile phone

Post by carol sheridan »

I have been using an old-style Nokia (a cast-off from one of the grandchildren) with Virgin UK , and I can top up my credit using my credit card. I have been keeping the battery topped up, and I am now told (by clever-clogs daughter) that I should not have been doing that, as I am now finding it impossible to get it to charge. I would just junk it, but I still have £15 of credit on it!
I would be very grateful if anybody can tell me if there is any way of charging it, or buying a new battery (however, that would probably cost more than £15!).
I have a smaller French mobile, not on contract, but I have not used it for over a year, so I think I will have to go to the Orange shop and buy a new SIM.
I use my mobiles only for emergency, or when I am travelling as I get free land line calls to my families in Britain and New Zealand through my internet package.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

try Free Mobile.... 2€ for their basic deal!!!
a quick look on ebay.co.uk has replacemnet Nokia batteries from around £1,50.... maybe you could see the price for your model.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Can you not put your sim from the Nokia in the French phone?
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I knew I would get some good ideas here - I will try swapping the SIM
Many thanks.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I swapped the sim cards but the French phone is now telling me the sim is locked! I can get a new battery for the old Nokie for about £10 plus postage, from the UK, but there is a shop that unlocks sims, etc. in Cluses, so I will take both phone to them and see if they can give me one that works.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

carol sheridan wrote:I swapped the sim cards but the French phone is now telling me the sim is locked! I can get a new battery for the old Nokie for about £10 plus postage, from the UK, but there is a shop that unlocks sims, etc. in Cluses, so I will take both phone to them and see if they can give me one that works.
Carol. i may be stating the obvious but have you tried typing in your sim password into your French phone since transferring it ?
If your old Nokia phone required a password to unlock the sim card every time you powered off/on the phone, then your French one is asking the same..
If it refuses to accept the pin you could have the phone unlocked from the mobile operator its tied to.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thank you - I have never needed a password to use my old UK Nokia mobile. I have kept the UK number and I buy credit from Virgin mobile by using my credit card to top up.
I will take both phones to the nearest mobile phone shop, in Cluses, and if they can't make the French mobile work, I will buy a new battery for the Nokia.
I don't use my mobile to ring French numbers, unless I need to call my breakdown service, which has happened only once. Nobody rings me on it as nobody knows my number - the only calls I get are from Virgin welcoming me to different countries (I travel a lot) or from somebody assuring me that they know how much PPI compensation I am due! Needless to say, I just delete those calls!
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

If you have had the French phone for more than a year, the network it is tied will unlock it for nothing. They send you a long number which you enter into the phone. Try searching for "désimlocker Orange" or whatever the network name is.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thanks, Martyn, that is very helpful.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I went to the Orange shop in Thonon les Bains this morning and for 9.90 euros they gave me a new number and a mobicarte with 5 euros credit.

I also tried to exchange my driving licence for a French licence, as I will need to renew my UK licence again in September when I am 73. I went first to my Mairie and the helpful lady filled in the form and went through all my documents for me. I found a photo booth in a supermarket on the way and was convinced it would be plain sailing. Ha! Of course, there was one document missing - isn't there always? Nobody had told me you have to get a form from DVLA with your licence information. I rang the DVLA and a very helpful Welsh man took my details and said he would get the form in the post to me tonight. I have to take it to my post office and get a special large envelope to post everything to the Sous Prefecture, but I think I will drive the 26 kms to Thonon agains as I am sure they will still find something missing!