3G USB Dongle - will it work in Ceret?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

John58
Rank 1
Rank 1

3G USB Dongle - will it work in Ceret?

Post by John58 »

I am considering buying an SFR France 3G USB Dongle to use at our house in Ceret. Does anyone know if it will work reliably please?

Many thanks.

John
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

I have been using one of these in Amelie les bains for nearly 2 years now and it is great.

BUT you should check the signal strengths where you are.

I only use the free wifi component becasue there is a good connection to a nearby signal/household. You need to look for local wifi signals - I am not in France at present so can't recall the exact words but is something like "SFR WiFI Public" If you have that then you are on a roll!

The 3G signal in Amelie is dodgy one minute it is full strength the next it doesn't exist at all - When I complained they said it was due to maintenence or upgrading of equipment which sounds very strange but fortunately I haven't had to rely on it.

So yes it works great but check your 3G signal and the free WiFi signals in your area before you sign up.

The people in the main SFR shop in Perpignan are very helpful and speak English and also did the instalation for me if you need help with that sort of thing.
Ian
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Just to expand a bit on Ian's comment.

If you get a 3G key on subscription from SFR then in addition to accessing the internet via 3G, you can also connect at no cost to all of the SFR public WIFI hotspots of which there are loads, since it is built in to most SFR customer's routers.

I stress that you have to get the key on a subscription and not pay as you go which does not have access to the public WiFi network.

So if at your house in Ceret you can see a network called SFR public WIFI then a subscription key might be your solution.

If on the other hand you don't have access to wifi then your only choice is probably 3G which can work out expensive if you use it a lot.

3G coverage varies a lot so the fact that it might work elsewhere in Ceret isn't much of a help. If you get 3G coverage on a mobile phone then a key will probably work.

I think (though check) that if you get one on subscription then you can return it if it doesn't work but if you get a pay as you go then the risk is yours.

A local SFR shop is probably a good place to start.