Problem with 90cm. Dishes

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Sue wrote:Sorry it was lost on me, not being a M P fan!!

here is a link:

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/f ... iremen.htm
Last edited by montgolfiere on Sun 16 Dec 2012 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Sue wrote:I realise Montgolfiere Im lucky to have outside space, my quote was only meant to be tongue in cheek. You must be totally stressed with all this.
I have a terrace, cour and various walls I could put a dish.........but the wind would probably take the house down with a dish larger than a metre :oops:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

satelite reception

Post by monsans »

Argèles plage all still working except for the Ch. 4 HD.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

satelite reception

Post by monsans »

Just discovered I now have Sky News with a Humax freeview box. I have not had it since changing to this box. Is this a new addition??
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Maureillas fine all round apart from the 5s which we dont seem to have at all, even in the day.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

satelite reception

Post by monsans »

All move to Argèles Plage. All systems go!! including ch. 4 HD
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: satelite reception

Post by montgolfiere »

monsans wrote:Just discovered I now have Sky News with a Humax freeview box. I have not had it since changing to this box. Is this a new addition??
i had posted this info on this forum on the 3/12 !!! Enjoy?

BTW. you dont have a Freeview Box you have a Freesat Box. the two are NOT the same and it is important to keep pointing this out as from time to time i come across people who have bought Freeview receivers and they are mighty disappointed when i tell them they only work in the UK from a Standard TV aerial and not a sat dish anywhere
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Kate wrote:Maureillas fine all round apart from the 5s which we dont seem to have at all, even in the day.
it is looking like 100 or evn 115 dishes will be required. I have ordered a 115 and Stephen from Digi TV Solutions (we are collaborating on this) has ordered a 100 so we can speed up the Testing phase. once we have established what will work we can then fine tune by looking at different makes of Dish and LNB to see how they compare. (they do perform very differently - even when the same size!!!)
All should be clear for the New Year..

Watch this space!!!

And a Merry Xmas and Prosperous New Year to all my Clients and Readers of this Forum.

The Skyman
Last edited by montgolfiere on Mon 17 Dec 2012 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi, I have a sky box and have so far lost all the 5 channels but also itv1 but I have itv1 plus 1 so am completely lost as to why. Is this normal or has my dish moved? I don't want to start moving the dish if it's not the problem.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

tia wrote:Hi, I have a sky box and have so far lost all the 5 channels but also itv1 but I have itv1 plus 1 so am completely lost as to why. Is this normal or has my dish moved? I don't want to start moving the dish if it's not the problem.
I am afraid this is the new reality and all channels will go the same sometime in the Summer next year. At which point we will all require the Larger Dishes Installing!!!

Have you got ITV1 London on 973 ? if so use this as your itv1 channel.
or....
are you using a FTV Card? if so for what region.
if it is one of the ITV regions listed below:
Remove it, Reboot the box and you should get the Default version of itv1 at 103

The following Channels have been transferred to 2F:

ITV 1 HD : Granada
ITV 1 SD : Central SW, Anglia W., Meridian N. Yorkshire E., Central S,
Central E.
ITV 1+1 SD : West Country, YOrkshire, TyneTees, Wales

C4 HD and 4 Seven SD

C5, C5+1, Five USA and +1 & Five* and +1

It istherefore probably not neccesary to adjust your dish unless you are having reception problems with the other channels

Hope this helps
The Skyman
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Something else to bear in mind: You need to apply for a "permis" for a dish of greater than 1 m.

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

let's hope it is 100cm.!!!
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

I have a ftv card and it is northamptonshire area. will try what you said and see what happens, afraid I'm not very technical ( hubby is into all of that but I'm incapable of translating technical terms into french!!)
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

tia wrote:I have a ftv card and it is northamptonshire area. will try what you said and see what happens, afraid I'm not very technical ( hubby is into all of that but I'm incapable of translating technical terms into french!!)
ITV 1 London should be on 973.
otherwise take the card out (i think your ITV1 region will be central south/East and on the new satellite) and reboot the box, ie turn off at the mains and the ITV1 region should be OK.
Cheers
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

ok thanks
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

how did you get on?
DaveM
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DaveM »

I've just been informed that, in France, installation of a dish bigger than 90cm will require planning permission.
Just to throw another spanner in the works. Does anyone else know about this?
DaveM
Jo-Anne

It's the end of British TV, as we know it!!

Post by Jo-Anne »

I'm in dire straights!! Now that I've lost The Wright Stuff, he's off air for the festive season though anyway I get ch.5 in the morning.

It cost me a small fortune to recieve free English TV by getting a sattelite installed, it's been a must have for me to be able watch the news and listen to BBC talk radio.

I hope all you techie's are working towards a solution before we lose all the channels next summer, anyway you can.

And should I have to consider, maybe, paying for a service to continue to recieve British TV, I'd seriously consider it.

I don't like change and I feel this is being imposed upon me :shock:

But I will say as suggested on the forum that Filmon.com is great and though on wifi have been able to watch the real crimes on Ch 5 in the evening at 9pm No Probs on my laptop
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

DaveM wrote:I've just been informed that, in France, installation of a dish bigger than 90cm will require planning permission.
Just to throw another spanner in the works. Does anyone else know about this?
i think it is bigger that 1.0m....i doubt if it will pose problems except in 'oficious Mairie Villages!!!' Noone would care in my Village for example!!!
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: It's the end of British TV, as we know it!!

Post by montgolfiere »

Jo-Anne wrote:I'm in dire straights!! Now that I've lost The Wright Stuff, he's off air for the festive season though anyway I get ch.5 in the morning.

It cost me a small fortune to recieve free English TV by getting a sattelite installed, it's been a must have for me to be able watch the news and listen to BBC talk radio.

I hope all you techie's are working towards a solution before we lose all the channels next summer, anyway you can.

And should I have to consider, maybe, paying for a service to continue to recieve British TV, I'd seriously consider it.

I don't like change and I feel this is being imposed upon me :shock:

But I will say as suggested on the forum that Filmon.com is great and though on wifi have been able to watch the real crimes on Ch 5 in the evening at 9pm No Probs on my laptop
The only Solution will be a Larger Dish.. i am hopeful that a 100cm. will suffice but this still has to be proved...
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

Whatever it takes and as and when we find a solution.

It's crazy that the BBC would do this and disregard expats abroad. Maybe they are just improving the signal for UK customers but to exclude the many expats abroad in Europe is ridiculous when then could get people subscribing.

Maybe they have to find the funds to pay off Entwistle et al after the Savile/ Newsnights catastrohe that they've had to confront.

I don't need the BBC, i just want English TV :)

IE. & Why is the BBC making national news headlines as a mere broadcaster anyway.??? They should be peripheral to peoples daily lives, - Not central to it and certainly not a "news" item.

Saying that does anyone know of any good language schools or private teachers of French?? Please let me know of pm me. Thanks
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Channel 5

Post by tubs »

Have lost channel 5 and four seven, still got itv ok. Can someone explain what transferred to 2F means please and what I have to do? Many thanks.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

The Existing Satelites that broadcast the UK FTA Channels are coming to the end of their lives (running out of the fuel required to keep them in position)

The main one broadcasting at the moment is Astra 1N.

3 new satellites are going to replace them (Astra 2E, 2F and 2G) and the first of these Astra 2F has been launched and is in service and some of the UK FTA Channels have already been transferred (mainly C5 4Seven etc.).

the signal from this satellite has been PURPOSEFULLY REDUCED 'on the Fringes' to try and contain the Signal to the UK. Whereas we have been OK for the last 12 years with 80cm. Dishes unfortunately this means we will have to increase our Diish size to compensate for the reduction in Signal.

So, all we have to do is to test and work out the minimum Dish size for this new Reality.I am awaitintg Delivery of a 115 Dish and am awaiting Stephen's results fro Testing a 100.
Watch This space for Info.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I can't decide if Jo-Anne's comments are tongue in cheek. But in case they are not, the BBC doesn't have a charter to provide its programs free to expats. It's not free in the UK, you have to pay a TV licence.

Skyman will know for sure but I don't think the satellites are controlled by the BBC either. I thought they were controlled, or at least shared, by Sky, who provide things like the BBC for free on the assumption that you are a Sky customer. And Sky doesn't have a licence to broadcast in France, which is possibly a reason why the footprints are being changed.

So any English satellite channels we can get here are a free bonus. We're effectively picking up the scraps from the tables of the paying viewers.

With the improvements in internet streaming, I can no longer be bothered with my unreliable satellite reception and I think with TNT offering subscription channels, satellite TV will become a minority service for people living in remote areas.

A huge benefit will be the removal of all those ugly dishes. Some cities in America are already planning to ban them altogether.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:I can't decide if Jo-Anne's comments are tongue in cheek. But in case they are not, the BBC doesn't have a charter to provide its programs free to expats. It's not free in the UK, you have to pay a TV licence.

Skyman will know for sure but I don't think the satellites are controlled by the BBC either. I thought they were controlled, or at least shared, by Sky, who provide things like the BBC for free on the assumption that you are a Sky customer. And Sky doesn't have a licence to broadcast in France, which is possibly a reason why the footprints are being changed.

So any English satellite channels we can get here are a free bonus. We're effectively picking up the scraps from the tables of the paying viewers.

With the improvements in internet streaming, I can no longer be bothered with my unreliable satellite reception and I think with TNT offering subscription channels, satellite TV will become a minority service for people living in remote areas.

A huge benefit will be the removal of all those ugly dishes. Some cities in America are already planning to ban them altogether.
The problem with your idea is that people living in remote areas don't normally have access to high speed Internet so they don't have an alternative to satellite
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Interesting. I've been trying to think of an alternative to a dish. I don't need a lot of UK TV. There are a few programmes I want to see. Masterchef springs to mind, the odd documentary, QI, Have I got News for you and movies and the news of course. For all of that except the news I'd be happy with catch up services and I'd gladly pay for Netflix or Love Film for movies.

I've always been a bit minor geeky but perhaps I'm getting old and I'm struggling to piece together an elegant solution. I know I can get catch up on my laptop by going through a proxy server (iportal for example). What I don't know is 1. How to get that onto my TV and 2. If I can get live news.

Has anyone else gone down this route and can advise please?

Is this the answer to question 1 I wonder? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Wave-Quicklin ... 87&sr=8-12
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Jo-Anne wrote: It's crazy that the BBC would do this and disregard expats abroad. Maybe they are just improving the signal for UK customers but to exclude the many expats abroad in Europe is ridiculous when then could get people subscribing.
It is nothing to do with the BBC.

The satellites are owned and operated by SES who, in turn, lease transponders (ie., transmitters) to Sky and Freesat.

As has been said, the satellite is coming to the end of it's life and must be replaced. In order to get more signal in the UK for a giuven transponder power they have increased the size of the spot beam dish from 2 m to 2.5 m. This causes the power to be directed in a more concentrated beam to the UK. An unfortunate side effect is that we will get less signal power here.

Although Sky cannot legally endorse the reception outside the UK, the revenue they get from expat subscribers is by no means insignificant so they turn a blind eye. The reason why Sky, BBC iPlayer etc., are not easily available here is that the broadcasters only buy the copyright for distribution in the UK and have to make some attempt to restrict it.

It certainly looks as if we will need bigger dishes for reliable reception. The bigger the dish, the shorter will be any interruptions due to rain. You can never get reception 100% of the time. By the way, cloud or snow have very little effect. It is only rain where the droplet size is a signifcant proportion of the wavelength.

Russell
DaveM
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DaveM »

[quote="russell"]
It is only rain where the droplet size is a significant proportion of the wavelength.

Do nearby trees, ie foliage, have a deleterious effect?
DaveM
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Allan wrote:
Santiago wrote:I can't decide if Jo-Anne's comments are tongue in cheek. But in case they are not, the BBC doesn't have a charter to provide its programs free to expats. It's not free in the UK, you have to pay a TV licence.

The problem with your idea is that people living in remote areas don't normally have access to high speed Internet so they don't have an alternative to satellite
The problem with your response is that you missed the bit in bold :wink:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

malcolmcooper wrote: I've always been a bit minor geeky but perhaps I'm getting old and I'm struggling to piece together an elegant solution. I know I can get catch up on my laptop by going through a proxy server (iportal for example). What I don't know is 1. How to get that onto my TV and 2. If I can get live news.

Has anyone else gone down this route and can advise please?

Is this the answer to question 1 I wonder? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Wave-Quicklin ... 87&sr=8-12
I've been doing this for a year. My solution has just been to connect my PC to the TV via the video output. If you have an HDMI output on the PC it would be even better. You can also do it with a laptop.

I have a smart TV that is supposed to work with a media player located on the PC but I can't get it to work with streamed content, only content saved on the PC and you can't download BBC, you can only store programs in the iPlayer desktop.

If you can't physically connect the TV to the PC, most smart TV's allow you to connect by WiFi using a dongle plugged into the USB of the TV.

It would be lovely if smart TVs allowed us to download and install media servers that work with a VPN, but they don't yet AFAIK. They have built-in servers that are hard-wired to certain internet content. UK-builds are hard-wired to FreeSat but I'm pretty certain that connection wouldn't work in France because of the IP address. One day....