Advice, please, for a non-technical old woman!

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Advice, please, for a non-technical old woman!

Post by carol sheridan »

I use Orange as my ISP with a Livebox. I had a friend coming to stay and she would like to bring her laptop. When I visit a friend in Switzerland we can both use our laptops at the same time with her router. Will my friend be able to use hers here -I don't mind unplugging mine while she does.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Do you have Wifi? if so then she can, not sure if you haven't, I wouldn't have thought so...but I am sure someone a bit more technical may help.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

That's my problem - I don't know if an Orange Livebox router is WIFI or not! I do have to keep my laptop plugged into it.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

carol sheridan wrote:That's my problem - I don't know if an Orange Livebox router is WIFI or not! I do have to keep my laptop plugged into it.
All live boxes are equipped with WiFi access Carol.Most are pre set to broadcast the signal automatically.
I have a live box and the configuration will be the same.
When your friend brings her computer along simply perform a wifi scan on it,it should then pick up the SSID from your box and will ask you enter the passkey,usually a series of numbers and letters around 25 digits in length.
Once the key is entered correctly your friends computer will then connect and will be on line.
Hope this helps out.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Just to expand on that, the passkey on a livebox is normally printed on a label on the bottom or side of it. It consists of 26 characters, a mixture of numbers and letters and must be entered in the same case (probably all uppercase).

There are different models of livebox, the earlier ones require you to press the button marked 1 (one) before trying to connect. You can recognise this model as it is narrower at the top than at the bottom.

Even without wifi you can plug a second pc/laptop into the livebox, you just need a cable.

If you are struggling, send me a PM with a phone number and I will talk you through the process.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

That is really helpful, Alan. I have found the passkey on the Livebox, which is less than two years old.
I knew that somebody here would be able to help - just as they always have!
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Oops - typo! I should have thanked Allan.