Catch up TV

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Peter Mills
Rank 0
Rank 0

Catch up TV

Post by Peter Mills »

Hello, does anyone clever know if it's possible to access catch up TV here. iPlayer and netflix are only available in the UK. Could anyone advise a way of accessing UK programmes that we've missed?
Many thanks
Peter Mills
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
marinamen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by marinamen »

Peter, please be very careful with ANY piece of downloadable software that offers to enable your computer to present a British I.P. address. I have read some real horror stories with one, ExPat Shield, causing major problems resulting in a Windows laptop having to have its hard drive re-formatted.
Best Solution: Sky or Astra Dish with a recorder.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

marinamen wrote:Peter, please be very careful with ANY piece of downloadable software that offers to enable your computer to present a British I.P. address. I have read some real horror stories with one, ExPat Shield, causing major problems resulting in a Windows laptop having to have its hard drive re-formatted.
Best Solution: Sky or Astra Dish with a recorder.
Marinamen is right Peter.
Ex pat shield is full of Adware and TBH its pretty slow too,thats when it does work.
Another route would be to subscribe to a VPN service.
I use this and it works well:

http://hidemyass.com/vpn/

And i think the cost is pretty reasonable too having shoped around on the net.
I can access all the UK on line players and the download stream speed is fast. :)
Good luck.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

We have used Expat for years with no problems at all. Don't know about Expat Shield.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

We use iportal.me - it costs €50 a year for one computer and you can watch BBC iplayer and channel 4 iplayer really well + lovefilm. Haven't tried netflex as we decided on lovefilm. I see they have added the US to their list as well.

You could always try it for a month for €5 and see how you get on.

They are really quick to respond to problems (within 5 mins!) and we have used them for the last 3 years.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

We also use ipôrtal without any problem
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Expatshield works fine for me. I agree that it is full of ads but you can get rid of them by installing Adblock Plus (another free download. I too have read of people getting viruses with it but I suspect they got the viruses elsewhere. The reports are always rather vague.

I do, however run it on Windows XP running on a virtual machine in Linux so if I did get a virus I could just delete the VM and create another :D

Russell.
Peter Mills
Rank 0
Rank 0

Catch up TV

Post by Peter Mills »

Thank you so much everyone. Really helpful.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

i-portal doesn't have ads and is worth the 50 euros a year in my opinion. the helpline is excellent and i have pointed many of my Clients to iportal without any negative feedback. you can of course also watch a certain ammount of 'live' Tv too.
The Skyman
www.british-tv-in-france.co.uk
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I pay €5.50 a month for iportal and I have used it on my laptop in Switzerland, Egypt, Thailand and New Zealand!