Help with PC problem

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Help with PC problem

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Bought a new PC and hadn't realised that the Mcafee was just for a short period. I have been away and it has expired. Tried to buy it on-line but it will not download. We are also experiencing other issues as unable to get flight boarding passes, view videoson You Tube plus other issues. Email and Internet seem to work ok but really do want to load Mcafee.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Tks

Mike & Jenny Rhodes
Mountain Mama
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Try this: http://free.avg.com/fr-en/homepage
It's just as good as Macafee and Norton for most users and it's free. I use it when I'm forced to use Windoze :)

Russell.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Pc Prob

Post by mrob343 »

Hi
Just to add,you need to remove all traces of McAfee from the PC before installing AVG.
You need to run the standard windows uninstall to remove Mc Afee first,then reboot.
Next go here :
http://download.mcafee.com/products/lic ... s/MCPR.exe
Then download and run the uninstallation tool,this will remove all the registry values for Mc Afee.
Once completed re boot again,then install AVG.If you dont you do this you run the risk of a clash between both AV programs which in turn will reduce your PC's overall perormance.
Cheers :wink:
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Before everybody to rip out the McAfee program, tell me what computer you just bought. McAfee is part of Dell now and I'm sure you can get some deals through them. And, if you have a Dell, you can get this program running very quickly. Just give them a call.

I dislike Norton but I do pay money to have them. It's not too expensive but it does keep my computer cleaned. I have four computers now with Nortons and I get a license which will handle these for a reasonable price.

If you have a look at the latest magazines, AVG is shown okay but it's not a big star compared to the Norton. Free is a good deal but when you tend to find viruses often, buying the best you can afford.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Help with PC problems

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Hey everyone. Doing the uninstall seems to have doen the trick as I have now been able to download the Mcafee product we had bought. A scan has shown that we did not have any virus issues and I can now do all of the things that this machine would not let me do before, so many thanks to you all for your help.
Blackduff, we have bought a Dell XPS with windows7. It is the latest model that they make hence the frustration with the problems but all looks ok now.

Cheers

Mike & Jenny
Mountain Mama