internet speed test

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

internet speed test

Post by opas »

I am having a nightmare with my computer, I have done bug checks galore , cleaned off some stuff that we do not use , checked all my cables and connections, we had a new upgrade freebox a couple of weeks ago, but the speed is terible, I cannot always see a full page when reading the newspaper online as the photos do not always appear, a while ago I only had about half of the smileys at the side of ths page, this morning I could not suprime spam from yahoo mail because the tickboxs and suprime button were not there, yesterday I wanted to print off a dossier from a government site and the form would not load to a pdf.............can anyone recommend a site where I can do a speed test, but what do I do after I have the results? :roll:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Bill O'Rikki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bill O'Rikki »

Try http://www.speedtest.net/ and see how the actual compares with the theoretical.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Opas
Go to the site www.speedtest.net . try to check from our area (PO) to maybe Paris or Lyon. This will give you a download rate and a upload rate too. Mostly you want to have the download rate.

Then look what this shows. Post this again and let us know if this if fast or slow. I can get up to 8 mega download but recently its' only giving me 5 mega (which s*cks).

This site will give you more information but don't change to other sites, since it's never equal.

Post afterwards and let us know what happened.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Have you installed the latest Internet Explorer? It's absolute rubbish. Get rid of it and use Chrome or an old version.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I do not know if Ian has installed latest internet explorer, will have to ask him later, I have done that test....eventually ping 89 , download 2.08 and upload failed and am waiting for my computer to allow me to re do it!

now tell me where I can buy a big hammer!
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
kathyw
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kathyw »

My computer is really slow too. Just done that test and download speed is 10.10 and upload speed is 0.82. Im using Internet Explorer 9
chris@conflent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chris@conflent »

Do you have another computer or a laptop that you can connect to compare line speed. If the line speed is bad - talk to Telecom. If the computer is the problem - try deleting temporary internet files - defragment hard disk.
Internet explorer fully deserves its reputation - use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Bonne courage.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

opas wrote:I do not know if Ian has installed latest internet explorer, will have to ask him later, I have done that test....eventually ping 89 , download 2.08 and upload failed and am waiting for my computer to allow me to re do it!
That speed is slow but wouldn't cause the extreme symptoms you describe.
What operating system are you running? It sounds as if either something is hogging the processor or your disk space is too low. Have you tried running a virus scan? How much free disk space do you have?
now tell me where I can buy a big hammer!
I have a big sledge hammer that might do the trick :lol:

Russell.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I am sorry but I am not at all familiar with computer systems, I just know how to use it for what I need it for........going on here :lol: reading the papers and keeping my business stuff ( I am savvy enough to have them all backed up on a memmory stick :wink: )

Windows7 , internet explorer, the girls prefer google chrome but I do not find it easy on the eye :roll: both are doing the same trick.
I keep getting a message that tells me I am offline and to click to re connect(I have seen it that often in the past three days that I should know it word for word!)

I did do a test that brought up a chart similar to a pie chart showing about 1/6 used space and the rest free space.......;I did say I was not techie!
I have run norton antivirus , both quick scan and full system scan......... :?

Perhaps this storm that is starting will frighten it into behaving :shock:
Debeneur.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

That sounds OK.

I'm not familiar with the Freebox but you could try typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser. This should give you access to the admin pages for the Freebox. Somewhere in there you should find a page that gives you the data rates between you and the exchange and also the attenuation on your telephone line.

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Free's website has a help section that deals with slow speed issues.

If you have the Google tool bar installed you can automatically translate it into English.

Try http://www.free.fr/assistance/256-baiss ... tater.html

At the start it tells you to check that you haven't got a program hogging the computer. To do this Right Click on the task bar at the bottom and choose Start Task Manager, this brings up a screen with several tabs - choose the one labelled Performance and look at the CPU usage. If it is high then you need to find out what is hogging the system so click on the Processes Tab and then click at the top of the CPU column.

The most processor hyungry processes will be at the top.

If anything is using more than 25% then note the name and PM me with it.

If not follow the steps on Free's site

Good luck
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

My preferred web browser is Firefox. A few weeks back I downloaded Firefox12 and decided to make use of the 'do not track me' option.

It was great at blocking all manner of adverts, but in the end I had to stop using it, because it really slowed down the time for any web page to load

Is it possible that some kind of anti-spyware is doing the same for you?
Bill O'Rikki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bill O'Rikki »

Forgive me if I am wrong but I don't think you have stated anywhere what the theoretical speed you can achieve for your circumstances.

Can I suggest that you try and find out your downstream attenuation from your router (as outlined above) and enter the figure into the site:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

You will at least have a target speed to aim for.

Also, to ask the obvious, when you say you are experiencing slow speeds, have you ever had what you consider to be reasonable speeds at your present location?

Also, is it possible for someone else to bring a laptop to your location and see what speeds they can get there? If they can get a decent speed then that would indicate that there is a problem with your kit. If not then the problem would seem to lie 'upstream', either with the router, company phone socket the router is connected to (you DO have proper filters on place don't you) or beyond.
Bill O'Rikki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bill O'Rikki »

Presumably as you have not responded to anyone trying to help for about three weeks you either cannot connect with the internet at all or your problem has vanished.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

My husband did a thorough clean of the system , it is a little better but not perfect. Still ongoing to see what else we can do to improve it.
Debeneur.
geoff.smith
Rank 1
Rank 1

I have run norton antivirus , both quick scan and full syste

Post by geoff.smith »

[quote="opas"]My husband did a thorough clean of the system , it is a little better but not perfect. Still ongoing to see what else we can do to improve it.[/quote

I have run norton antivirus , both quick scan and full system scan..

this is your problem dump it and get a free antivirus eg AVG,,, GEOFF