Need a doctor for my apple ibook

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

66france
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 66france »

My ibook won't start up. Does anyone know of a mac technician to bring it back to life.

Thanks
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Need a doctor for my apple ibook

Post by Sav »

66france wrote:My ibook won't start up. Does anyone know of a mac technician to bring it back to life.
Thanks
Try here
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3138

Cheers Sav :)
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Depends what you mean by won't start up. Does the screen at least light up and is there a question mark instead of the usual Apple icon?

If absolutely nothing happens when you start it up, I'm not sure - possibly a defunct battery. If it does power up but is failing to boot normally, try starting it up from the installation disc. Put the disc in and hold down the C key while you start up. If that works, then you should immediately back up anything that you haven't already backed up! You can also check on the status of your battery and try running a repair in Disk Utilities.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Patrick Boyle might help you. Here's his village and telephone.

Laroque des Albères - Phone: 04 68 87 17 35

I think he handles apples and PC both.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
66france
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 66france »

Thanks for all your advice.

I have been to apple support and others, have held down all the various keys to reboot and still won't come back to life. Green power light & battery lights on. BUT I don't have the dong when it starts and no screen plus my ibook was one of a few that hasn't got the magic hole to restart with a paper clip.

I called Patrick but he cannot help.

There are mac doctors in Perpignan.

I will put a post here when I find someone, thanks again for your help. :idea:
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

MAC

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Arrow: Monsieur Thierry Renard, Pézilla la Rivière.
Tél. 04 68 53 61 80, 06 12 10 59 94,
email: a.a.i@cegetel.net

Excellent service.

RF.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Have you tried what I suggested - starting up from your installation disk?
66france
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 66france »

Yes I have tried starting up with disc because the ibook wont start I had to put the paper clip in the disc tray to open it, then held down the c whilst trying to start but will not start.

It may be the start button because I have no dong, reading on mac support sites, they say it could be the mother board.

The last time I used it I was working on iphoto updating and deleting photos. Shut down and it never started again.

Robert - I found Thierry Renard advert when I asked google and now you have recommended him I will give him a call.

Thanks again
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

The clue was in the words "disc tray". I hadn't quite registered to begin with that you are talking of a rather aged computer! Apple produced a redesigned iBook in 1993 with a slot loading disc facility so that means your one is at least 8 years old. It's done you remarkably well and maybe you just need to accept it has had a longer than average life and decided to die. :cry: I suspect then that you need to be asking Père Noël for a new laptop for Christmas.

Here's is something to try which might tell you if it is the motherboard. Press down hard on the computer casing to the left of the touchpad while you start up. It's an outside chance, but worth a go.
66france
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 66france »

Thanks Colin I tried holding down casing whilst starting up but no joy. You are right I bought it 2002, and the last 8 years it has only been used as a back up. I have been a mac user since the 20th century. I work on a G3 at the moment which is older than the ibook, I can't lay it to rest it needs to wake up so I can retrive my past.

Going to UK in October to buy a new/secondhand imac 27" prefer an english version. Anybody out there who wants to sell one?

Thanks again
DaveM
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DaveM »

Maybe check out V.I.S. (applemacparts.co.uk) for Mac repairs and for refurbished Macs.
DaveM