Orange.fr and MS outlook won't send emails.

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Orange.fr and MS outlook won't send emails.

Post by Steve&Julie »

Hi.
Having a problem sending emails from non-orange accounts using MS outook.
I get error message Unable to connect to server :mail.btinternet.com. error 0x800ccc0e.

I have discovered so far this may be due to orange's bad reputation for spam and their attempt at solving it by only allowing mail out through their own servers. I understand I can reconfigure outlook to send BTinternet mail out via smtp.orange.fr and then reconfigure back again when I return to the UK.
I also believe it may be possible to use secure port numbers, but neither of these solutions is something I would like to suggest to guests staying with us in France.

Is there a better solution ?

Thanks in anticipation
Steve
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Practically all service providers provide a web client for email, in BT's case this is BT Yahoo.

Most people that travel find that web clients get around most problems of this nature.
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Thanks Allan.
Yes, all our email providers have web based clients. I was hoping to avoid this as I use about 10 email addresses (private, business, enquiry monitoring etc), partly because it's easy to do so within outlook, but it looks like it may be the best way around it.

I was hoping there may be a way of getting orange to switch it off, or some software setting to the livebox.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I believe that Google G Mail allows you to have multiple inboxes from different accounts.

http://www.techspot.com/blog/543/access ... asy-steps/
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I believe you can also do it with Hotmail

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-ho ... tion-using
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

'I get error message Unable to connect to server :mail.btinternet.com. error 0x800ccc0e.'

the mail.btinternet part means that you are not connecting to the mail server the error code suggests that port 25 may be blocked (possibly by orange for the reasons you suggest).
I believe that if you look up this problem on the btinternet pages you will get a detailed talk through. (port 110 ?)

In outlook the settings are accessed by following the 'advanced' button.

I agree with the others that webmail is a workaround, but I only ever use it when on temporary travels.

Good luck

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
lesley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lesley »

You could also use Windows Live Mail which replaces Outlook express.
Premium
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Orange.fr and MS outlook won't send emails.

Post by Premium »

Steve&Julie wrote:Hi.
Having a problem sending emails from non-orange accounts using MS outook.
I get error message Unable to connect to server :mail.btinternet.com. error 0x800ccc0e.

I have discovered so far this may be due to orange's bad reputation for spam and their attempt at solving it by only allowing mail out through their own servers. I understand I can reconfigure outlook to send BTinternet mail out via smtp.orange.fr and then reconfigure back again when I return to the UK.
I also believe it may be possible to use secure port numbers, but neither of these solutions is something I would like to suggest to guests staying with us in France.

Is there a better solution ?

Thanks in anticipation
Steve
Do I understand correctly that you are trying to send e-mail using an Orange internet connection ?
In that case you need to configure the smtp server in the outlook profile with the one of orange and not the one of BT.
Les Maisons de LaPrimavera: Property Management Pyrénées-Orientales