Never miss an opportunity

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Never miss an opportunity

Post by Santiago » Sun 07 Mar 2010 13:52

What do you make of this for trying to profit from the Chile Earthquake?

"My name is Becca Reeves and I am Laithwaites Chilean wine buyer. I'm writing to you today in reaction to the devastating effects of last Saturday's earthquake in Chile.

The earthquake struck in the heart of Chile's winemaking country - an area I know well from many buying trips there.

Like, for example, Luis Felipe Edwards (or Don Cayetano as you may know him better). I managed to speak to him yesterday on a crackly line to find out if he and his family are OK. They are. But their house was destroyed and some of their great wine has disappeared into the ground.

Luis Felipe was remarkably upbeat and at pains to assure me that the harvest (due to start right now in Chile) would still go ahead. He said his vineyards workers and cellar hands were determined to keep working despite the chaos around them.

I was astonished and said so to Luis Felipe. He told me that the best way to rebuild Chile right now is to carry on as normal and keep people in work. Luis Felipe was concerned that people would want to give Chile 'some space', hold off ordering and, as a result, the country would lose income it now desperately needs.

So, this month I am asking you to support our winemakers in Chile - their families and the families of their employees. Chilean wines these days are of impeccable quality and the range is staggering - the most varied in the world (OK, I am bit biased!) - there's plenty to choose from to suit your palate and budget.

In return, Laithwaites Wine will donate 5% of sales of all Chilean wine sold during March to the Chilean Embassy's Earthquake Appeal Fund.

I hope that when you think about buying your wine this month you will think of our friends in Chile and help raise as much as we can for them - they really need your support right now.

Thanks for reading

Becca

P.S. To hear more from Tony about Chile click here

P.P.S. To see our Chilean wines click here"

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina » Sun 07 Mar 2010 14:56

Despicable :evil:

I detest this type of thing.

I may have felt slightly more comfortable had they said they would donate ALL of their profit from Chilean sales - but 5% amounts to nothing. They're still keeping NINETY FIVE PER CENT of the profit!!

Have you sent them a letter of complaint, Santiago?

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas » Sun 07 Mar 2010 16:29

So what is VinArt all about?

I do not see a difference.
-----------------------------------------------
www.Debeneur.com
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.

graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 » Sun 07 Mar 2010 17:49

thumbelina wrote: I may have felt slightly more comfortable had they said they would donate ALL of their profit from Chilean sales - but 5% amounts to nothing. They're still keeping NINETY FIVE PER CENT of the profit!!
I read this as being 5% of sales not profit, but would have thought 10-20% would be more credible given how much these people discount.

Also, the words state the winemakers should benefit so I would have thought the donations should go direct to them rather than what seems a generic fund.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Tue 16 Mar 2010 11:58

opas wrote:So what is VinArt all about?

Thanks for reminding me to tell people about VinArt 8)

It is our annual celebration of Art and Wine, held over the Easter weekend at the winery - see my website for details.

The difference between VinArt and the Laithwaites mailout is that the main thrust of VinArt is to invite people to have a nice day out, revolving around wine and art. We choose to donate money from the wine tastings and raffles to Cancer Support France for 2 reasons.

Firstly because we have close experience of the stress that suffering from Cancer in France can cause and secondly because by charging for the wine tastings, we discourage people who only want to come for a free drink.

We will donate to CSF whether or not people buy wine from us. Laithwates will only donate 5% of the money they get for wine sold. Therefore you have to give them £100 in order for the charity gets £5.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas » Tue 16 Mar 2010 13:24

Santiago wrote:
opas wrote:So what is VinArt all about?

Thanks for reminding me to tell people about VinArt 8)

We will donate to CSF whether or not people buy wine from us. Laithwates will only donate 5% of the money they get for wine sold. Therefore you have to give them £100 in order for the charity gets £5.
You donate anyway, so do we.

What is the % of your takings to CSF for each 100 Euros of sales? I still do not see a difference between your selves and Laithwaites, they do not have to donate anything and neither do you.
www.Debeneur.com
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff » Tue 16 Mar 2010 13:33

Opas
It's not just the Treloar wines. The art and handicrafts at the VinArt give various percentages for the charity too. These "percentages" are more than the 5% offered by the British company.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas » Tue 16 Mar 2010 16:36

I know that!

I just do not see the difference, both are tragedies in their own right and both companies are giving charitable donations, both are advertising .

without prejudice;
www.Debeneur.com