Vendage 2009

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Vendage 2009

Post by graham34 » Sun 20 Sep 2009 09:24

How is the vintage in 66 this year. Independent vignerons in the Herault seem very pleased overall despite the smaller grapes and lower yields in the drier vineyards. Things are less rosy for growers who sell to the co-op and rely solely on volume for income.

Cellier Trouillas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cellier Trouillas » Sun 20 Sep 2009 10:02

Around our way it would seem to be a similar story.

Most are saying that, due to the wet winter and the hot summer, the quality is good, but, due to the lack of water in previous years, the quantity is down quite a lot.

On the other hand, we have a few people saying that, with individual parcelles, their quantities are running around normal but with a good quality too!

Not finished yet, though! Still have a few days to go! :D
Karen Jones
Cellier Trouillas

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff » Sun 20 Sep 2009 10:43

My neighbor has about 2,000 sq meters of vines but this year the pigs came early. They took about half of the grapes but they also broke the sarments in the process. Within two more days, the pigs were back and everything is gone. The owner is very sad about all of the work for naught. He did spend a few nights with his gun and a stool hoping to find the culprits.

I pass there each night and we meet the pigs at the vines. There are two feral cats who visit too for the grapes. The birds also take the toll.

Next year it's going to have electric wires around the vines. He's going to see if this helps. It will be a problem having dogs nearby but I can keep them away from the wires.

The times are changing in Sorede.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina » Sun 20 Sep 2009 10:47

I should think sad is an understatement, BD!
:?
Poor man! :(

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Sun 20 Sep 2009 11:07

I'd say that agrees with what I've experienced. The condition of my grapes is probably the best I've seen. The yields are lower than I expected for the Grenache and Muscat but actually a bit higher for the Syrah and I think the Mourvedre will also be higher than last year. Tasting them at the moment I'm very excited about the 2009 wines.

In contradiction to the popular view, smaller grapes make more concentrated, tastier wines. This should help to improve the perception of Roussillon wines as a whole. The danger is that sugar levels are high and unscrupulous growers may have been tempted to stop off at the station d'eau on the way to the winery.

I do think there is going to be quite noticeable differences between producers this year as it has been difficult to judge the best picking dates because certain grape varieties have ripened abnormally and we have had a few showers during harvest too.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 » Sun 20 Sep 2009 23:56

blackduff wrote:My neighbor has about 2,000 sq meters of vines but this year the pigs came early
Presume the pigs are Sanglier/Wild Boar. Must be quite profitable to shoot them.

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff » Mon 21 Sep 2009 06:34

graham
The hunters have been trying to catch them since the season started. Every year there are over 100,000 sangliers shot in Les Alberes. When some are killed in this area, the Spanish sangliers take the place from the French pigs.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.

Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O » Mon 21 Sep 2009 13:23

Ah, well, that's what happens when humans kill off all the natural predators like bears and wolves!!
Would love to hear wolfsong in the forests!!
Have to go to italy, Slovenia etc. for such pleasures!

Have you ever seen the film "La Jeune Fille et les Loups"
with Laetitia Casta and Jean-Paul Rouve?

I heard wolfsong only once in France - in the High Mercantour where they were reintroduced in 1992
(of course against opposition from the sheep farmers!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.