Wine buying tips

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john » Wed 29 Jul 2009 09:01

carol sheridan wrote:I'm at a bit of a loss here - if I try a couple of wines at a free tasting, and don't like any of them, am I supposed to buy a bottle which I won't drink? Do the producers/suppliers expect every tasting to result in a sale?
Carol,I can't help but think that there's a bit of devil's advocacy going on with the above!

I've never met you,but your presence on the forum does not suggest to me that you are the kind of woman who'd allow yourself to be hoodwinked into buying anything you don't want;least of all by a wine seller.

That said, winesellers are not stupid,and they know when someone is taking the mick. That's why the etiquette should be ,do not slurp wine that you have no intention of buying. I have on many occasions gone somewhere,sampled the wine in good faith,found it's not to my liking,and thus made my excuses and left. Empty handed. Perfectly acceptable,and any seller who takes exception to this strategy is,frankly ,living in a dreamworld.

mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh » Wed 29 Jul 2009 09:36

Santiago wrote:
Isn't the hesian bottle Faustino? IMO an overpriced brand. No wonder you are suffering now. Not your fault but that's what you get drinking mass-produced, chemically treated vino. 8)
It is probably Siglo.
I was once very keen on it (I was living in Belgium).
It varies by year and benefits from age.

Faustino 1 - 9 ? is a different Rioja.

Faustino 1 had the benefit of being cheaper in the Swedish govt monopoly alcohol outlets ( www.systembolaget.se ) than in the duty free shop at Madrid airport. By then I was living in Sweden.

Peter

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Wed 29 Jul 2009 10:35

I'm really talking about visiting a winery to have a look around, ask questions and taste their wine. Unless the wine is really poor, it's good manners to buy something, even just a litre of en vrac, if the welcome was free and courteous.

If someone is offering tastings at some event, free or not, there is no obligation to buy if you don't like the wine. I certainly don't expect a high hit rate at those events as I appreciate that people are there to taste something new and there is a promotional aspect to it. However, there are certain types who you see going round "tasting" as much as they can from every stall and then making a sly exit. Probably off to the supermarket to buy something without tasting it!

There is a cheese vendor at the weekly markets who is always listening out for English voices. He welcomes them over to taste his cheeses and you get a bit of a hard sell. The cheeses cost about 40€ a Kg. It's embarrasing to have to make excuses because he kind of makes you feel you can't afford it.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg » Wed 29 Jul 2009 10:50

I was recently abused by a cheese seller at the Elne market - after getting the hard sell and tasting the cheese, I plumped for a sliver of cantal ... for the princely sum of 23euros !!!!
I told him I didn't want it at that price , it was too expensive and he launched into a tirade telling me to
"Dégage, caisse toi salope, putain anglaise etc etc !"
The cheek of him! How dare he call me English!!!!! :wink:

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy » Wed 29 Jul 2009 10:58

rbg wrote:I was recently abused by a cheese seller at the Elne market - after getting the hard sell and tasting the cheese, I plumped for a sliver of cantal ... for the princely sum of 23euros !!!!
I told him I didn't want it at that price , it was too expensive and he launched into a tirade telling me to
"Dégage, caisse toi salope, putain anglaise etc etc !"
The cheek of him! How dare he call me English!!!!! :wink:
That's a coincidence
Some friends of ours (they are your genuine English) were visiting us the other day and stopped at a market. thought they would buy some cheese to bring us.
after a few slivers to taste they
confidently asked for half a kilo of one they had tried.
then they saw the price - 46 euros a kilo!!!
apparently we weren't worth it.
the funny thing is, the bloke selling it was more than willing to give out samples of this golddust to all and sundry.

he didn't turn nasty - just waved his hand and said "bye,bye".

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john » Thu 30 Jul 2009 18:49

That cheese chappy/girl comes to Ceret market and the prices are a "scandale". I too refused to buy,and was berated like RBG,but,at least in my case there was some accuracy in them calling me an "Anglais ?*!*!*"

So Santiago,are you seriously suggesting that wherever I go,if I sample a wine and it's not to my liking,I've got to buy some ,for politeness' sake? If you follow that logic through,if you stop at a hotel,you look around they give to a cup of coffee,then you have to stay a night,even if you hate the place. Or visit a bookshop,you leaf through the volumes,but the book you want is not among them,so you have to buy a paperback,just to look polite.

I've seldom heard anything so bizarre in my life!

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas » Thu 30 Jul 2009 22:03

I know this is the wine forum, but seeing as Cheese and books have been mentioned i will go for it.

We have been known to wander round a market or two in our time here, we have been offered a little platter with anything on it from cheese to unusual tomato varieties to salamis.......well liking our food we have in the past tried and fell for the sales pitch. We have bought that succulent tender salami or that lovely creamy strong cheese that we enjoyed in our slither sample..... Get your salami home in its greaseproof paper wrapping or your wheel of cheese and it is not the same stuff you have sampled, am I alone in this?

I now refuse all samples on any market, no offence meant to any stall holder.
-----------------------------------------------
www.Debeneur.com
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy » Thu 30 Jul 2009 22:30

completely off thread, opas.
we were at perps airport this afternoon to meet our daughter.
i saw two girls with a "lady" there.
the elder girl looked very similar to the picture in your signature.
now, i am almost sure it wasn't you three cos this plane was from stansted and all your connections are from up in Serge country but just thought i would double check.
wos it you?

Serge

Post by Serge » Thu 30 Jul 2009 23:13

Disclaimer!

Opas is not from my part of the country, for a start we are nearly civilised and can talk proper!

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy » Thu 30 Jul 2009 23:36

Serge wrote:Disclaimer!

Opas is not from my part of the country, for a start we are nearly civilised and can talk proper!
north of luton they all talk funny so i'm told.

i'm sure you and opas are nevertheless civilised - you just talk funny.

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas » Fri 31 Jul 2009 07:42

polremy wrote:completely off thread, opas.
we were at perps airport this afternoon to meet our daughter.
i saw two girls with a "lady" there.
the elder girl looked very similar to the picture in your signature.
now, i am almost sure it wasn't you three cos this plane was from stansted and all your connections are from up in Serge country but just thought i would double check.
wos it you?

Nope , not me or my family.

Now that is scary ........another mini Opas :lol:
-----------------------------------------------
www.Debeneur.com
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.

vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vieux hibou » Tue 04 Aug 2009 10:22

The moderators saw no value in nitpicking through his thread as to what was said by whom, why it shouldn’t have been said and so on. Much was said which should not have been said and words used that would have been better not used. I have pruned the thread to be no more than the discussion of the wine matters that started it - well mostly as there are still some excursions into cheese, dopplegängers at airports etc.
Forum Moderator

Serge

Post by Serge » Tue 04 Aug 2009 10:38

VH, in the interests of fairness to all - the entire thread should be deleted!

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff » Tue 04 Aug 2009 10:54

Serge wrote:VH, in the interests of fairness to all - the entire thread should be deleted!
I want to find the time to read whatever is left. I needed a bit of time to read the starting post. VH, let this trimmed would be fine but don't kill the whole thread.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.

Serge

Post by Serge » Tue 04 Aug 2009 11:05

Sorry BD, but it looks like it has had the expected 'whitewash' to me!

vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vieux hibou » Tue 04 Aug 2009 11:23

Oops - forgot to re-lock the thread which will stay as it is.
Forum Moderator